Concealment w/ Overalls

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    The smart carry seems notable...anybody use it?

I seem to be using the smart carry more than my other holster which is the crossbreed supertuck. You can google and find a number of videos on the internet regarding it's use.

From what I read holsters are like a lot of other things, you're always looking for something better!

Most of the time I have my shirt tucked in so that limits what I can use for total concealment. I carry a Kahr CW40 SW. I'm toying with trying out 2 other holsters. One is the "cell phone thing" and the other is one of the belly bands but with a twist. I'm wondering if a belly band can be worn upside down such that your weapon is positioned under your left arm with the handle just above your belt line. To draw I envision pulling my shirt up with weak (left) hand and grabbing weapon with a cross draw using strong (right) hand. The question is whether the elastic tension of a belly band is enough to hold the weapon's weight with the holster upside down.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    the other is one of the belly bands but with a twist. I'm wondering if a belly band can be worn upside down such that your weapon is positioned under your left arm with the handle just above your belt line. To draw I envision pulling my shirt up with weak (left) hand and grabbing weapon with a cross draw using strong (right) hand. The question is whether the elastic tension of a belly band is enough to hold the weapon's weight with the holster upside down.

I'm thinking this is a HORRIBLE idea. :eek3:

bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.

I've never seen a belly band in action, only pictures in ads so I appreciate your feedback on this idea before blowing any money trying to see if it would work.

The problem I see with the belly band or kangaroo and these types of holsters is they are not designed for fast acquisition as needed, for example, when being robbed in a parking lot. They're fine if you have time to undo your shirt, reach in and retrieve your firearm.

The standard IWB (super tuck, mtac, ect) also creates a problem in that the gun and holster take up room between the waist of your pants and your body. I've already moved up to a lager waist/belt size without the IWB holster and hate to add even an inch more at the waist with an IWB holster.

The smart carry can be positioned to keep the width of the gun below the belt line but I'm still leery of keeping a loaded gun so close to my you know what. Even if it is pointed down and away from my body, the gun blast on an accidental discharge is not something I would want to experience down there.

So when pondering the above I began to do some thinking which is always dangerous! The typical IWB holster keeps the gun handle just above the waist line with the rest of the gun down in the pants. I was thinking, what if we simply turn the IWB gun position upside down? The handle is still just above the waist line but the rest of the gun instead of being down in the pants and adding an inch or two to the waistline, is sticking up, much like with a shoulder holster. Voila! The concept for a deep conceal holster where the gun can be accessed just the same as an IWB "tucked" holster but without the added inch(s) to the waistline. To acomplish this I came up with simply turning a belly band upside down. I've even seen belly bands with a retention strap that could add to the success of this concept.

What do you envision as the problems that would make this a horrible idea?

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Muzzle pointing at you, bad grip on the pistol, gravity is not going to be your friend when the retention device fails, this is a very bad idea. I know your trying to think out of the box but this is not going to work

Pure Luck

Yes it is loaded
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Lafayette

+1 (or more)
    Keep in mind that Smart cary is DEEP cover. It is sometimes the best thing for a situation. It is not as fast as a good OWB but much faster than running home to get the weapon from the safe!
    I have both styles, and realy like the holster for what it is. When I don't wear a belt (sweatpants or gym shorts) around the house it is great. I have even worn it under swimtrunks and never had an issue.

I would vote for SmartCarry for the situation.
    (youtube passive101)

bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    Actually you would be amazed at how fast your weapon can be drawn with the smart carry. Back of smart carry covered by shirt tail and front of shirt behind SC. It's positioned between the shirt and pants just below the belt line. Can be positioned a little off center but I find "between the legs" to be best all around position. Particularly if you do a lot of sitting/driving. Just pull pant waist forward with weak hand and draw.

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    Anybody have any suggestions for a holster or concealment methods that I could use while wearing my overalls(besides a ankle holster)?

I found these pictures on another CCW site with a similar thread (and no, it is not me, although we do share a similar haircut).

His message with the pictures was as follows:

"I'm the big guy with the bib overalls. I carry my Sig Pro in a Crossbreed holster on a belt under my bibs. No one ever notices that I carry and it's easy to get to and I can carry while driving without changing a thing."

Pure Luck

Yes it is loaded
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Lafayette
    I found these pictures on another CCW site with a similar thread (and no, it is not me, although we do share a similar haircut).

"I'm the big guy with the bib overalls. I carry my Sig Pro in a Crossbreed holster on a belt under my bibs. No one ever notices that I carry and it's easy to get to and I can carry while driving without changing a thing."

but where does he get boxers with belt loops :rofl::rofl:

I have actualy talked with guys who wear a belt under there pants.... I don't get it, but what ever works for them....

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge

Now that he has the carry thing worked out, he can use his spare time to clean up his kitchen, yuck!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This is a buddy of mine, he just got his permit I'll have to see how he carries. He always wears overalls.
    This is with his Louisiana State record Blue Cat.

FPic_Keith.jpg

flatswitch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    This thread is right up my alley! I've been thinking of the best ways to conceal with overalls since its pretty much all I wear. Was swaying towards a belly belt of some sort myself.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Just a thought, but other than the belly band systems (which would seem to work), what about the older military style shoulder holsters. Those went across one shoulder and were really more "chest holsters" than shoulder systems. It would seem that the bib would cover the gat and the open sides should, with LOTS of practice, allow access relatively easy. Especially if you keep a side button or two undone.
    '
    Will this work? Have no idea, never tried it, but just trying to think of a solution.

Or...what about a holster sewn onto the back of the bib itself? That would allow very fast access, and the shoulder harness of the overalls itself would support the weapon. Sideways mount? Canted? Pretty much any way you wanted to mount it from that point.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    never miss at 200 yards
    Top Bottom