Considering dumping my iPhone for a Droid

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I've played with the Droids, and they're cool phones but IMO from the software to the phone itself, it just seems cheap. Not to mention they don't have otterboxes (last I checked) for the droid. my friend made a statement about how bulky my iphone was, and broke his droid not long after. I'll take my iphone 3gs + otterbox over anything on the market. AT&T has a large network even though is sucks in rural areas, I have a pretty decent plan, and the iphone just works. My only complaint is I lost my belt holster for the 'box :(

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    I jailbroke my Iphone, and now I can do what I want with it and not deal with Apple. I can use it as a wifi for my laptop and not pay ATT to tether, I have access to all the folders so I can add files, ringtones or whatever for free. F Itunes.

+1

I don't think I will own anything on my own if it's not a apple product, I mean pC against Mac? Mac wins! nuff said....:D

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I got the Droid X about 2 weeks ago, and thanks to a tip from Windsorfox my wife got a Droid2 that same weekend. I was tired of Blackberry and RIM's antics, she converted her Blackberry to work use.

I freaking love my Droid. It does everything I want it to and nothing I don't, and it did not require me to load any software on my PC for sync, backup, or anything else unlike RIM or Apple. Especially Apple... at least RIM's software did not integrate itself with EVERYTHING and make it impossible to remove.

As far as Otterboxes, cases are in the works for the DX, and I'm sure the rest will follow. It takes time for new accessories to get made for new phones to allow for buttons, microphones, etc.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    That was my peeve, EVERYtime I updated iTunes it would REadd Bojour and every other little thing that Apple thinks I can't do without. And forget even trying to use iTunes without Quick Time and I refuse to use that as emphatically as Real Player. I go way back with phone modding but IMO jail breaking an iPhone is a PITA. Also iTunes will not sync with Mozilla software on a PC, it only works with the M$ stuff, unless you use a Mac. Figure that one out. There was also a long time where it refused to sync with Outlook or Outlook Express unless it was set as your default program. IOW since I normally use Thunderbird, iTunes would not sync with Outlook unless I went and reconfigured so that Outlook was listed as the default program. Between that and the enormous price drop 4 months after I bought it, I vowed to never get hosed by Apple again.

I mean pC against Mac? Mac wins! nuff said....:D

One word. Fallout 3.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    I didn't want something too big.
    I have the HTC Aria.
    I love my Droid.
    Driod Market has loads of apps for FREE!
    Even a IPSC/USPSA Match Scoring APP.

Now I just need to find a shot timer.
    I know one is in development.

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    After unboxing my new Nexus one... I signed into google from the phone, then signed into facebook, and then sync'd my outlook account by simply entering my email address and password.

After that... all contacts sync'd, all email addresses entered, calendar updated, even pictures from facebook accounts auto-updated to the contact list. It was just scary.

It's amazing how I NEVER have to sync my computer to the phone. If I enter a new date onto my Google Calendar on the computer, it shows up on my phone in seconds, and vice versa. If my phone goes for a swim tomorrow, as soon as my new droid gets the username/password, EVERYTHING can be sync'd to the exact configuration, from the contacts to the apps to the homescreen layout. If I get ballsy and "root" it, I can alter the processor clock speed from 1.2GHZ for sheer power or down to 400mhz for nearly a week of non-charging. I can dictate text messages from the road, or I can point the phone at a star in the sky to identify it.

I know I'm sounding like a "fanboi", but having android 2.2 on the qualcomm snapdragon just simply outclasses the iphone4. You've got to jailbreak the iphone just to do what Froyo can do stock. But, when you "root" your android, you can do whatever you like, insofar as installing dual-boot OS's, over/underclocking, unlocking the FM radio receiver, just literally everything I can think of.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    After unboxing my new Nexus one... I signed into google from the phone, then signed into facebook, and then sync'd my outlook account by simply entering my email address and password.

After that... all contacts sync'd, all email addresses entered, calendar updated, even pictures from facebook accounts auto-updated to the contact list. It was just scary.

It's amazing how I NEVER have to sync my computer to the phone. If I enter a new date onto my Google Calendar on the computer, it shows up on my phone in seconds, and vice versa. If my phone goes for a swim tomorrow, as soon as my new droid gets the username/password, EVERYTHING can be sync'd to the exact configuration, from the contacts to the apps to the homescreen layout. If I get ballsy and "root" it, I can alter the processor clock speed from 1.2GHZ for sheer power or down to 400mhz for nearly a week of non-charging. I can dictate text messages from the road, or I can point the phone at a star in the sky to identify it.

I know I'm sounding like a "fanboi", but having android 2.2 on the qualcomm snapdragon just simply outclasses the iphone4. You've got to jailbreak the iphone just to do what Froyo can do stock. But, when you "root" your android, you can do whatever you like, insofar as installing dual-boot OS's, over/underclocking, unlocking the FM radio receiver, just literally everything I can think of.

:::DING!:::

Cbro

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Iberia
    I loves me my I Phone. ATT network is a little spotty at times but still has the best coverage for my type of work. If Verizon was the only network around I would get two tin cans and some string.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Also iTunes will not sync with Mozilla software on a PC, it only works with the M$ stuff, unless you use a Mac. Figure that one out.

:confused::confused: Mine does. I'm running a 7 yr old computer on XP and using Firefox for the browser with no problems syncing my iphone. Now don't get me wrong, I am not very happy with AT&T/Apple, but mine does sync, I just hate itunes! YMMV

Bam Bam

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    :confused::confused: Mine does. I'm running a 7 yr old computer on XP and using Firefox for the browser with no problems syncing my iphone. Now don't get me wrong, I am not very happy with AT&T/Apple, but mine does sync, I just hate itunes! YMMV

Bam Bam

edit BTW this had noting to do with Firefox, it was only affected by the use of Thunderbird for mail rather than using Outlook. And Thunderbird was never an option to sync with either.

Perhaps they rectified that problem. I switched to the Droid last October and had not synced for at least 6 months before that. Every time I tried to add a video to the phone when I clicked to sync I got some error message about not being compatible. I called at least 4 times about the syncing problem. on the 2nd call I got a very snitty little boy who had the opinion that I just didn't use the proper applications and I should get with the program. He hung up on me and when I called back found that the case # and ALL info on my previous help calls had magically disappeared. After a very long call I ended up with a "high level supervisor" WETF that is, who did find my info and account and tracked down what had happened to it. And by who. The last time I talked to someone about that problem, they had heard about it and knew about it, but had no info on how to fix it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom