Considering new oil field opportunities

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    I am currently a rig electrician for a drilling company with only a handful of barge rigs. Overall not a bad job. My only complaints are absolutely no opportunity for advancement and we work a 7&7. Here are some of my thoughts and questions...
    Preparing for an interview with sea drill. Anyone know anything about them, work for them or know someone that does?
    It wouldn't bother me to get away from the electrical side and do something more down hole related. Definitely more interesting!!!
    Any tool hands here that could give advice regarding those type jobs? Fishing tool, liner hanger etc....
    Directional drilling is definitely another interest. Math has always been a stronger and more enjoyable subject so I really think I would enjoy it...
    Expat packages or traveling internationally etc does not bother me. Any info on the same appreciated as well.
    Have also considered moving towards production side but have never done it. Would be hard to take a drastic pay cut to start all over again. Although I could for a short while if relatively quick advancement opportunities were available....

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. And yes I have a resume available for those that might be able to help.

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Sea drill is nice. Nice rigs and they pay well from what I hear. I know transoceans hands are dropping like flies to go to work for them.

You will be happy there.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Tool hand is what im hoping for, but don't know anyone. Hard to do anything like that without knowing someone(unless you have lots of experience of course). Im in coil tubing right now, but don't expect the company to be up much longer..

I had a 7&7 schedule roughnecking, loved it.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Sea drill is nice. Nice rigs and they pay well from what I hear. I know transoceans hands are dropping like flies to go to work for them.

You will be happy there.

Thanks for the info... Good to hear. Any idea, do they mainly operate in the gulf or international?

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Tool hand is what im hoping for, but don't know anyone. Hard to do anything like that without knowing someone(unless you have lots of experience of course). Im in coil tubing right now, but don't expect the company to be up much longer..

I had a 7&7 schedule roughnecking, loved it.

I can't stand 7&7 because I get home and feel like I chase my tail for 6 days and its time to go back to work. Also it's impossible to take even a 7 day vacation without having to make arrangements....

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Check out ECO. I work for one of their companies. Been there going on 4 years in July. I'm not in an offshore position, but there's usually tons of positions available from time to time. Chouest owns damn near all of Port Fourchon, so there should be a position somewhere that you may like. Lots of people travel all around the world too if that's your thing. Good luck with the search. http://www.chouest.com/

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Thanks for the info... Good to hear. Any idea, do they mainly operate in the gulf or international?

Both. But I doubt they would give you an overseas job. You have experience on a barge driller but they will probably consider you to be green. Deep water is a different world. I've seen drillers go from jack ups to deep water and have to start off as a floor hand in the deep.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Nolaradio Very familiar with the whole Chouest operations.... Actually did quite a bit of work with them in the past. Which of the many entities do you work for?

Sandman, I have heard they really don't give much consideration from experience from barge rigs. Very interesting. Anxious to learn all about the "different world"....

tudobem

Non-conformist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Hammond
    Just saw a billboard on I-55 in Ponchatoula this evening saying that Chevron is hiring for drilling and completions. Was going too fast to catch all of the details, I am sure you can find info on their website.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Just got word from a co-worker who is an ex-employee of Transocean, that they are building 6 or 7 new rigs for the Gulf !! Also I got an invite to put in an app for Shell Offshore....Just some thoughts for someone wanting to work offshore !! The year 2014 the gulf is supposed to be hopping !!

tudobem

Non-conformist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Hammond
    Good luck with Shell Ironman, that is who I work for, but in production. I know we are doing an experienced hiring right now for production hands. The "Big Crew Change" is upon us all, all companies will be looking for hands in the very near future. Rigzone.com is certainly a good resource for anyone looking to go to work offashore, as well as the websites of all the major companies.........

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Good luck with Shell Ironman, that is who I work for, but in production. I know we are doing an experienced hiring right now for production hands. The "Big Crew Change" is upon us all, all companies will be looking for hands in the very near future. Rigzone.com is certainly a good resource for anyone looking to go to work offashore, as well as the websites of all the major companies.........

What rig are you working on? I am out here on a Shell rig right now.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Thanks for the info. I occasionally look on rig zone but tend to go directly to the companies websites.... Glad to hear of all the work coming up!!! Great for the local economy for sure!!! If anyone hears of any great specific jobs please let me know as well. Never seems to hurt "knowing" someone....
    What type work are you guys doing offshore? Booseman do I remember correctly you recently got hired as a mud engineer? How's that going? Enjoying it? Who you with?

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Thanks for the info. I occasionally look on rig zone but tend to go directly to the companies websites.... Glad to hear of all the work coming up!!! Great for the local economy for sure!!! If anyone hears of any great specific jobs please let me know as well. Never seems to hurt "knowing" someone....
    What type work are you guys doing offshore? Booseman do I remember correctly you recently got hired as a mud engineer? How's that going? Enjoying it? Who you with?

I work for MI-Swaco as a Compliance Engineer. It is basically a step under a Mud Engineer. I guess you could say I am an "apprentice" to the Mud Engineer. It is going well so far. I am out here on the H&P Perdido right now, about 249 miles offshore.

Alanpowell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    I am currently a rig electrician for a drilling company with only a handful of barge rigs. Overall not a bad job. My only complaints are absolutely no opportunity for advancement and we work a 7&7. Here are some of my thoughts and questions...
    Preparing for an interview with sea drill. Anyone know anything about them, work for them or know someone that does?
    It wouldn't bother me to get away from the electrical side and do something more down hole related. Definitely more interesting!!!
    Any tool hands here that could give advice regarding those type jobs? Fishing tool, liner hanger etc....
    Directional drilling is definitely another interest. Math has always been a stronger and more enjoyable subject so I really think I would enjoy it...
    Expat packages or traveling internationally etc does not bother me. Any info on the same appreciated as well.
    Have also considered moving towards production
    buy speakers side but have never done it. Would be hard to take a drastic pay cut to start all over again. Although I could for a short while if relatively quick advancement opportunities were available....

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. And yes I have a resume available for those that might be able to help.

It is nice job but you have to work more hard and there is scope of advancement :)

Last edited:

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Booseman that's awesome man. Glad things are going well for you!!

Alanpowel can you elaborate a little more? What job? Hard work is definitely not anything I'm afraid of....

tudobem

Non-conformist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Hammond
    What rig are you working on? I am out here on a Shell rig right now.

I am on the BC-10 project, which is an FPSO in Brazil. It is similar to Perdido as far as production in that we also have ESPs (electrical submersible pumps), but we do not have an onboard rig. All of our wells are subsea.

Top Bottom