Considering sending back my S&W 340CT

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    I purchased a brand new S&W M&P 340CT about 1 year ago from a dealer in Slidell, Louisiana and have put about 100 rounds of ammunition through it since purchase. The first 20 rounds of ammo went through fine (Spear Gold Dot 125 Grain .357 Magnum). I had decided on this as my carry round. About November of 2008, I went to the range to shoot a different gun, and ended up shooting my S&W 340, as well, since I had it with me. I bought some factory ammo from the range and this time had to settle on Blazer soft point ammo. I put the full 50 round box through the gun, but noticed 5-10 fail to fires, 3 hang fires, and the rest went fine. All of the FTF were inspected and many of them exhibited very light primer strikes. I put these rounds through a second time and all fired fine. I was slightly miffed by this, but decided I would give it another shot. After Obama got elected I stopped shooting my handguns every month for a bit because I was saving up for a few long gun purchases. This weekend I finally got the chance to take my S&W 340 back out to the range. This time I had another box of Spear Gold Dot (this time the 135 grain .357 magnum). I put 15 rounds through my gun before I had a FTF. I pulled the bullet out and checked it and it actually looked as if the firing pin barely even touched the primer. The dimple was so faint that I had to catch a reflection to see the small dent in the primer.

Now that I have shot it a few times, I am actually concerned. I purchased this S&W 340 as my primary carry weapon. I do not carry every day, but when I do feel the need to carry I want to be 100% sure that the gun I carry will go bang when I pull the trigger. This doesn't seem like too much to ask. With these light primer strikes, I am extremely concerned that I will not be able to rely on this gun should the time come, God forbid, to use it in a self defense situation. So, now I am thinking the time has come to contact S&W and ship it back to them for analysis and possible repair at their expense. Being that the gun is now a year old, even though is is immaculate and very lightly used, do you think I will have any trouble? I have read a few stories from people who have sent their guns back to S&W after finding issues/flaws and they all had positive experiences. I hope this is the case for me, as well. Do you all think I am doing the right thing by looking into sending it back for analysis and/or repair?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Yep. I've had a really good experience with S&W cust service. if you email them all those symptoms ahead of time and they determine it to be covered by warranty they will even send a pre paid shipping label.

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    Yep. I've had a really good experience with S&W cust service. if you email them all those symptoms ahead of time and they determine it to be covered by warranty they will even send a pre paid shipping label.

Ohhhh! A prepaid shipping label will be even better! I emailed them this story verbatim, pretty much. We will see how long it takes to get a response. Thanks, man.

Did you email qa@smithandwesson.com? or someone else?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Yes I think that was it. It was whatever one was on the contact us part of the webpage. Took them about 3 days to reply. It wouldn't even hurt to send pictures of the primer strikes.

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    Yes I think that was it. It was whatever one was on the contact us part of the webpage. Took them about 3 days to reply. It wouldn't even hurt to send pictures of the primer strikes.

:-/ I wish I would have taken some pictures. Honestly, though, that last light strike wouldn't have even come out in a photo.

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    Have you done anything to the revolver (or had someone do it); like, put in a "spring kit", etc.?

These critters are really not that complicated, and light hits can only be caused by a couple things in the revolver itself. One biggee is "jumping time", where the cylinder stop doesn't catch in the notches and the primer is not centered under the firing pin. With the horrid recoil these little beasts display with .357 ammunition, that is a distinct possibility. Another is some crud, etc., impeding the movement of the firing pin; or a peened recoil shield doing the same thing. The latter is usually caused by ramming a jag tip/brush against the recoil shield while running a cleaning rod through the barrel from the muzzle.

From your post, I gather that factory ammunition was used, so crappy reloads are not the culprit. That is usually the case with revolvers.

Best to send it back. Include a detailed description of the issue IN THE BOX with the revolver. Don't expect your e-mailed explanation to get mated up with your gun when it arrives in Springfield.

And don't wait for them to answer via e-mail. Pick up the phone and call them; its a toll-free number.

I have not modified this revolver in any way. I am positive that cleaning was not the culprit but I do appreciate your theories and it is possible that some of the others could be it. Like you said, however, it is best to send it back, and I do believe you are right in that I should not wait for an email response. I will call them when I get off of work in a few minutes. Thanks for the help.

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    Well, I am sitting on hold (have been for about 15 minutes now). It recommended I try calling back during the week. I called back again and spoke with a receptionist who put me on another line to sit on hold. They are probably swamped. Hopefully I can get through today.

UPDATE:

Just got off the phone. They are sending me a label and it should arrive in a few days. He said it is exactly uncommon, and that it generally affects the light weight revolvers. I am happy.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    S&W possibly has the best customer service available on a gun with free shipping both ways.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    122   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    And don't wait for them to answer via e-mail. Pick up the phone and call them; its a toll-free number.

+1 on what LSP said call them they will get a ticket going and they will over night a shipping label to you.

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    +1 on what LSP said call them they will get a ticket going and they will over night a shipping label to you.

Yep, that is what I did. They said the label should be here in a few days. Should I ship the gun back in its original S&W blue plastic case WITH all of the manuals and accessories? Or just the gun and case?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Yep, that is what I did. They said the label should be here in a few days. Should I ship the gun back in its original S&W blue plastic case WITH all of the manuals and accessories? Or just the gun and case?

Just the gun in the case. But put the case in another box and pad it. And dont forget to put a letter in the box explaining whats wrong. With the shipping label will be clear instructions on what to do.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Have you checked the mainspring screw for tightness. If this screw backs out it will give you light primer strikes. This screw is located in the front grip frame near the bottom. Make sure this screw is tight. In a gun with heavy recoil the screw can become loose and cause problems. If this is the case try using a thread locker on it to prevent any re-occurrence.

Bryan
    "Beauxdog"
    L-2311 :)

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    Have you checked the mainspring screw for tightness. If this screw backs out it will give you light primer strikes. This screw is located in the front grip frame near the bottom. Make sure this screw is tight. In a gun with heavy recoil the screw can become loose and cause problems. If this is the case try using a thread locker on it to prevent any re-occurrence.

Bryan
    "Beauxdog"
    L-2311 :)

Thanks Beauxdog, but I already have a label on the way from S&W so I will just let them handle it.

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Thanks Beauxdog, but I already have a label on the way from S&W so I will just let them handle it.

Just got my 342 in today....S&W bead blasted the serial number off my gun when prepping it to refinish. So, they replaced the whole frame!! I got half a brand new gun now. :D Im very happy with them...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tdwarner
    Top Bottom