Consistency

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    I have been practicing with my bow, but have been unable to be as consistent as I would like. I get a lot of good groups, but on some I wonder what the hell happened. I think the problem is with my sight-picture and anchor point. I was measured for draw length when I got the bow, though my release might be too long. I'm going to try to find a shorter release to help with the anchor point.

I was wondering if anyone had experience using different peep sights? I'm thinking about switching to a larger one.

Any tips, tricks, or advice would be much appreciated. I would like to get into competition archery this spring but I still have a ways to go before I am ready.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    I have been practicing with my bow, but have been unable to be as consistent as I would like. I get a lot of good groups, but on some I wonder what the hell happened. I think the problem is with my sight-picture and anchor point. I was measured for draw length when I got the bow, though my release might be too long. I'm going to try to find a shorter release to help with the anchor point.

I was wondering if anyone had experience using different peep sights? I'm thinking about switching to a larger one.

Any tips, tricks, or advice would be much appreciated. I would like to get into competition archery this spring but I still have a ways to go before I am ready.

Before you switch peeps and releases, try adding a kisser button to your string. Basically you add it onto your string to touch the corner of your mouth. As long as you set more than one anchor point it will increase your consistency.

Two anchor points - Kisser on the corner of mouth and string touching nose. Kisser on corner of mouth and knuckle behind ear. String toucing nose and knuckle behind ear.

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    I will pick up a kisser, but I still might try out a shorter release. Since it is more difficult to change the peep sight that will be a last resort.

On a side note: I wonder how much Colin Boothe would charge for lessons LOL. Seriously though, I would be interested in lessons if I found a quality instructor. I would feel comfortable hunting with my bow, but competition requires a different level of accuracy/consistency.

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    Smaller peep sites are better than larger ones. The smaller ones help you set up more consistantly.

With a smaller peep I wouldn't see the ring of my front sight at all, right? I figured it would be easier to line up the ring inside of a larger peep, but I might have to try a smaller one if I do decide to change the peep sight.

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    What kind of front sight do you have?

Impact Archery Hammerhead 5

gry_hammerhd5.jpg

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Assuming he's still there, take a ride to Ken's Bayou Archery in Slidell (on gausse near northshore mall). Just go there and practice. Ken will come over and help when he has time. I learned a lot just practicing there. BTW, he's not a gadget guy. At the time I was shooting there he was playing with a strange horseman's bow...

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    Assuming he's still there, take a ride to Ken's Bayou Archery in Slidell (on gausse near northshore mall). Just go there and practice. Ken will come over and help when he has time. I learned a lot just practicing there. BTW, he's not a gadget guy. At the time I was shooting there he was playing with a strange horseman's bow...

Ken is still there, picked up some new arrows from him not long ago. Unfortunately he didn't notice that the nocks didn't fit into my TRU Nok. Luckily I was able to swap over the nocks from my old arrows. I'm sure that he could teach me a thing or two about shooting a bow, but I will definately make sure and check everything before I buy it in the future.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Agreed with what has been said so far. Definitely add some sort of reference piece. Kisser button or brass clamps that will touch the outside of your nostril.

Also, what about your arrows? Are you shooting the same length, type and style or are you shooting an assorted variety? A Goldtip 5575 will shoot lower than a Goldtip 3375 as the 5575 is heavier and will fall faster. Fletchings will make make for different shots as will different weighted field tips.

Try this. If you shoot 6 arrows and 2 of the 6 are wild shots, remove those 2 arrows and shoot the 4 good arrows and see if have any wild shots from those 4. Make sure it's you and not your equipment.

Last edited:

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    Agreed with what has been said so far. Definitely add some sort of reference piece. Kisser button or brass clamps that will touch the outside of your nostril.

Also, what about your arrows? Are you shooting the same length, type and style or are you shooting an assorted variety? A Goldtip 5575 will shoot lower than a Goldtip 3375 as the 5575 is heavier and will fall faster. Fletchings will make make for different shots as will different weighted field tips.

Try this. If you shoot 6 arrows and 2 of the 6 are wild shots, remove those 2 arrows and shoot the 4 good arrows and see if have any wild shots from those 4. Make sure it's you and not your equipment.

Right now I am using 5 arrows with 4 same and one oddball. They are the same length, I think the same weight, and supposed to be the same weight field points. Once I get the equipment to fletch my own arrows, I will be using only identical arrows.

I will try your idea about taking out any arrows that don't hit with the rest of the group. Usually when I have four out of five good shots I can tell that I just messed up that one shot(whether I punched the release, or gripped the bow). Though sometimes my entire group makes me scratch my head and wonder wtf. I try to be aware of the wind, but I think that I might change my footing from one group to the next. I'm going to try and put some kind of marker down and see if that helps.

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    My kisser button is indexed to the tip of my nose. I find this to be more accurate for anchor point. What I have found is to not concentrate on groups as much as form. If you do everything the exact same way the tight groups will come. I find it important if you plan on hunting to practice all year and not just a few weeks before the season. When you do practice just concentrate on your form and only shoot a few arrows at a time. You should not have to strain at all to pull your bow. If you do your form will suffer.If you get fatigued your form will suffer and you will "learn" bad habits. One more thing, and I know this may sound weird but if you use a trigger release use you back to pull it. Set up for the shot,place finger on trigger and pull with your back. If you try it you will "feel" what I am talking about. Just my opinions:)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bbroussard
    Top Bottom