Constitutional Carry Bill SB1 will be RS? (Now going to be the Law!)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Under what statute? I've never heard that one before...

Is there a state law that specifically calls out the parking lot of a polling place for vehicles? I quickly looked and couldn't find it.

Statute? IDK This comes from discussions with multiple CHP instructors. One discussion centered around whether I broke that law while voting while returning from my LGS. I had a gun in the truck. It was a piece of metal with a SN. But, required welding, machining, assembly, et al before ever going bang.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Limits liability for CCP defensive shooting, I believe.
    SB2 is purposefully designed to offer a "permitted" concealed carrier a protection against civil prosecution / reprisal if the "permitted" gun owner used his/her gun to defend themselves in a clean shoot situation.

This was meant to be a benefit to those that continue to be "permitted" carriers. They want to pass Constitutional Carry, but they also want those of us who are currently "permitted" to carry realize there are other benefits to keeping your CHP. Like this liability protection and reciprocity in other states.

Those that think Constitutional Carry is all they want and need? Fine. Personally, I will keep my CHP going forward. There is a big difference between being told you have to be permitted (asking permission), and the freedom of choice to do so or not.

When SB1 passes, we will have won that battle! But we all know, that it is better to be experienced with the handling of a gun than not.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Statute? IDK This comes from discussions with multiple CHP instructors. One discussion centered around whether I broke that law while voting while returning from my LGS. I had a gun in the truck. It was a piece of metal with a SN. But, required welding, machining, assembly, et al before ever going bang.
    I think that's where the confusion came up. A polling place is definitely a prohibited location to carry a firearm. I'm not aware of any law that says you cannot have one in your car in the parking lot of a polling place.

CHP instructors are notoriously bad at providing legal advice. It's not very difficult to become an instructor, unfortunately. We've had plenty of CHP instructors on here get called out for spewing objectively false ******** over the past few years.

I'd be willing to bet that no crime was committed if you simply had a firearm in your vehicle while you went inside to vote.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    SB2 is purposefully designed to offer a "permitted" concealed carrier a protection against civil prosecution / reprisal if the "permitted" gun owner used his/her gun to defend themselves in a clean shoot situation.
    Is this expected to pass?
    Those that think Constitutional Carry is all they want and need? Fine. Personally, I will keep my CHP going forward. There is a big difference between being told you have to be permitted (asking permission), and the freedom of choice to do so or not.

When SB1 passes, we will have won that battle! But we all know, that it is better to be experienced with the handling of a gun than not.
    CHPs have plenty of other benefits such as being able to carry concealed in other states, skipping a background check when purchasing a new firearm from a FFL, and also the added perk of helping get out of tickets with cool cops.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I

This was meant to be a benefit to those that continue to be "permitted" carriers. They want to pass Constitutional Carry, but they also want those of us who are currently "permitted" to carry realize there are other benefits to keeping your CHP. Like this liability protection and reciprocity in other states.

thought we already had somthing in place for a shooting deemed justifiable homicide that the victims family’s or state couldn’t sue or try for civil suit…

Thought that was passed after that fella shot and killed the steroid rage fella during the funeral where he was beating up the cop…

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La

I think it might cover all concealed carry with or without permit.

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Is this expected to pass?

CHPs have plenty of other benefits such as being able to carry concealed in other states, skipping a background check when purchasing a new firearm from a FFL, and also the added perk of helping get out of tickets with cool cops.
    I think states that have constitutional carry don't restrict it only to state residents.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I think states that have constitutional carry don't restrict it only to state residents.
    Very true. But some states have limits on where you can carry without a CHP/LTC/CCP or whatever the state calls it. Additionally, there are multiple states without constitutional/permitless carry that accept the Louisiana CHP. This means if you travel there, you can still carry there.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Looks like SB1 is being considered now. They are trying to add all types of Amendments. Thankfully, the stupid ones are getting rejected

That nonsense was expected; and rightfully rejected! The black democrats are trying to derail it, since they don't have those two white republican traitors from last time that were so easily bribed by Edwards.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tstevens42
    Top Bottom