Constitutional Carry Bill SB1 will be RS? (Now going to be the Law!)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    No, sen. Miguez specifically said it is intended to incentivize people to get educated and get permit.
    But I haven't seen any intent to reduce permit cost.
    If you could afford it before, you can afford it when this goes through! Also, this Special Session is not the time to try to dicker with the CHP process or the costs. That can be addressed in the upcoming regular session (and it just may be). Let's get this one over the goal line and call it a big win for liberty before we start poo-pooing the peripherals.

The measures they are dangling as incentives to keep your permit and for others to get a permit are not egregious! You will have a choice! That's what we all wanted, right?

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    No, sen. Miguez specifically said it is intended to incentivize people to get educated and get permit.
    But I haven't seen any intent to reduce permit cost.
    I hope that changes in the future.

Hopefully the permit will become valid for a longer period of time and will be easier for renewal and let's go cheaper while we're at it.

How about as easy as renewing your Driver's License, at about the same cost, and you can carry anywhere except the obviously prohibited places, court, federal buildings, airports, airliners, etc....?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    To be even clearer:
    Louisiana doesn't have a CCP, it has a CHP.
    The CHP allows you to carry within 1000ft of a school, but not on school property.

Anyone who is legally allowed to possess a firearm (not felons) may keep a firearm within their vehicle on school property.
    I'm glad you said CHP I've been saying it on here since 2008. People still call it whatever 3 letter they come up with.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    I hope that changes in the future.

Hopefully the permit will become valid for a longer period of time and will be easier for renewal and let's go cheaper while we're at it.

How about as easy as renewing your Driver's License, at about the same cost, and you can carry anywhere except the obviously prohibited places, court, federal buildings, airports, airliners, etc....?
    We do have the lifetime permit, and it works out to be a lot cheaper if you live long enough.

One of the reasons stated for the renewal period is reciprocity; some states require that you get training every 5 years.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    It would be a good idea if everyone would send a quick email to your Representative urging them not to let the freedom haters alter the Bill on the House floor.

It's getting ready to go this morning!

Find you legislators here:
    Done last night! Warned of pistol whipping while open carrying if not passed!

Rodog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2022
    Metairie
    Done last night! Warned of pistol whipping while open carrying if not passed!
    1708716352773.png

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    That training that 30 minute class where you shoot a couple of mags and call it good?
    I believe that instructors are required to cover all of the topics as the initial course but without time requirements. My initial course, including live fire, is around 9-1/2 hours but renewals (for students who have had my initial course) is about 3-4 hours with emphasis on recent changes to the law. Shooting is 36 rounds minimum for both.

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I find that most reasonable people that want a gun for personal protection generally try and learn something about ownership and responsibility of ownership. I've seen many of those folks realize they are better off without ownership of a firearm for a plethora of personal reasons. So, this law in my mind really won't change very much in the way law abiding people carry firearms, I really don't think any more people will carry after the law has passed than do now.

Many people I know have had the course and decided not to get the permit, they really don't want to carry a firearm, they really just don't want to be a criminal when they work late and have to lock the office and maybe the gate at the parking lot, or they breakdown on the way home, or they decide to stay home during a hurricane and want to protect their property. I think for the vast majority, this really won't change the number of people carrying firearms concealed.

The young thug will carry now more than they once did, but they'll thin themselves out over time.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I believe that instructors are required to cover all of the topics as the initial course but without time requirements. My initial course, including live fire, is around 9-1/2 hours but renewals (for students who have had my initial course) is about 3-4 hours with emphasis on recent changes to the law. Shooting is 36 rounds minimum for both.
    It was nice when I got mine the first time. No class just sent in my DD-214 with the other stuff

Top Bottom