Constructive criticism for first few home-made knives please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willyd6869

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Uptown NOLA
    Hello all,
    I have recently had an interest in knife making and after countless youtube tutorials I finally made a couple. My immediate goal is to give some away as Christmas presents. In the future, I would like to be able to sell them. I feel that this design/size is a good little everyday knife. I have some kydex on order for sheathes. I would have a hard time parting with these considering the 12 hours of work put into each of them, so I am going to get about a dozen cut on a water-jet. Before I send off the cad file, I would like some constructive criticism on the design before I get a bunch cut. So please give me your thoughts.

The over all length is 6.2". The blade is 3". The balance point, after the two lightening holes in the tang and tapering the tang slightly is right at where your forefinger would be holding it in like a thumbs-up fashion. The one with the micarta handle is super-light. I will try and weigh it tomorrow. They are made from heat treated and tempered O1 tool steel. Also, The ricasso/plunge line will be at the same angle and placement as it is on the black knife. The micarta handled blade was my first go at beveling on a belt sander and I didn't account for the precision you could get with one. I thought I was going to chase it backwards.

Thanks, Will

knife6.jpgknife1.jpgknife2.jpgknife4.jpgknife5.jpg

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Looks nice, tell me more about the handle. It almost looks like it's wrapped in some OD Canvas.

Also would you happen to have a pic with a dollar bill or something for reference?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Very nice! I like the blade shape.

One criticism- not of the the knife though! Put something in the pic for scale... a quarter, a cell phone, a hand, a tomato...

One personal preference- some finger grooves in the handles maybe? Something for traction, checkering?

(the dog wanted out while I was typing- Protege beat me to it!)

Last edited:

willyd6869

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Uptown NOLA
    03protege:
    thank you. the handle is canvas micarta. which is basically canvas and epoxy in alternating layers. it is OD canvas, black, and a kind of yellowish one. good call! in person it looks like the colors of a red ear turtle, but without the red haha. i'll post a size reference too. thanks!

LaCamper:
    thank you. I was considering finger grooves too. i'm trying to decide how to balance a universal fit with the limited handle space.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      234.6 KB · Views: 143
    Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Very nice. Good looking profile. Love the belly.

I vote no on finger grooves. Makes one good way to hold it. I find it better to be able to change grip depending on use. Jimping, in my opinion, is a better method to increase grip ability without limiting different hand positions.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Very nice. Good looking profile. Love the belly.

I vote no on finger grooves. Makes one good way to hold it. I find it better to be able to change grip depending on use. Jimping, in my opinion, is a better method to increase grip ability without limiting different hand positions.

Jumping is exactly what I was thinking too. I find it makes it easier for detail work (thumb pressure I guess). It does look like a nice knife though.
    How do I get on your Christmas list?

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Sent you a PM but i will tell you one thing you did right it looks like. You didnt make the handle too thick as fas as I can tell BUT work on rounding it out more side to side so it isnt as blocky. I know it probably feels good as is but you would be surprised how much better it can feel.

You can kind of see what I mean in this pic how its rounded off more

bluwaterman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    hammond
    Have you considered choils? I use knives all day long at work. Some of mine have them and some dont, the ones that do sure are easier on the hand in the long run. Plus seems to be a little steadier when slippery with blood, guts, or whatever.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Looks good. Only thing you might consider is slightly more convex curve in the handle to match the palm; similar to the handle of folding knife. I think it feels better in the hand and gives a slightly better mechanical advantage. Just a minor a nit pic.

willyd6869

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Uptown NOLA
    it seems a finger choil is something a lot of people want. i think i'll make one with a choil and see how it feels. as for jimping, i just threw a quick set on a test blade im going to acid etch and i love it. it feels so great to put your thumb or fore finger one it. thanks for the idea! it looks a little janky because i eye-balled it since this is just a test blade.

here is a photo of my test blade with a paracord handle and acid etched. I actually really like it.image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      123.3 KB · Views: 125
    Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom