Couple questions for you Compund Bow guys.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    After shooting a bow for the first time this past weekend and seeing pictures of cbr900son's Bowtech Assassin I got the itch to get a bow. I really like the reviews for the Bowtech but I also came across the PSE Brute X model in the skull worx camo for about $200 cheaper. Both models come ready to hunt. My questions are
    1. Do any of you guys have experience with either of these bows?
    2. Is it really worth it to get a 60-70lb draw or will a 50-60lb draw be sufficient for hunting? I don't think I would have problems pulling the heavier weight as I am a pretty big fellow. It's more of a question of is there a huge difference between the FPS in arrow speed between 60 and 70lbs?
    3. I measured my wingspan and I'm coming up with 75 inches and I'm 6'2". From what I read you should divide that by 2.5 and that should be you draw lenght. It also stated if it's close between sizes go with the shorter draw. With that in mind I figure I should go with a 29 inch draw. Is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated.thanks

Last edited:

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    1. They are both good bows. I would however get a PSE because I have had 2 and they were both excellent. I would recommend going to a place that has them both and try them out side by side. get whichever feels better.

2. Again shoot one at 60 and then one at 70. If you feel like you can handle the 70 get it. Higher weight = more power/speed (most of the time). OTOH people have no problem killing deer at 40+ yards with a 50lb bow. It's all about shot placement.

3. That is the way to get close to your draw length. Once you go to try them out they will fit you to a draw length further. This may be where you hit a snag. Some but not all of the ready to hunt packages go out to 29" draw. I can't remember off the top of my head which do and don't but they will have something to fit you. It might be a little more but it needs to fit properly or you won't shoot worth a dang.

I unfortunately do not know who handles bows down here in Nola. I usually stop in at Bowie's when I am in BR because I worked there for 3 years and know they take care of the bows well there. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I will be glad to help.

Last edited:

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    That itch gets bad! LOL I wish I could help you with the difference between the bows but I'm sure others can. Bows can be expensive but I hate to buy cheap and regret it later. Now there is always a difference between inexpensive and cheap! Let us know how it turns out and what you try out.

justsomeguy

deranged.......
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Gretna
    Personally, I'm partial to Martin. But I do agree that pse and bowtech make excellent bows. I just find that martin is competitive with a little bit better pricing. Good luck on getting the right bow for you and have fun shooting.

Last edited:
    G

gunguy11

The basis of those two bows have been covered pretty well. But don't shop online for one.
    Go to a quality archery shop (Bowles is great, so is spillway sportsman). Look at them all. Shoot the most enticing ones.
    I have shot both 60lb and 70lb bows. The difference in speed is for the comp guys honestly. (some shots reaching 80yards)
    For deer hunting and as a recreation the 60lb is great.
    Would be able to shoot longer (less draw weight will help with your stamina)
    Also the let-of of a bow is percentage based. The let off will be better for you.
    Two seasons ago I drew back on a buck and had to wait about 4 minutes for a shot. A 70lb bow would have made it a good bit harder.
    If they have a bow you like in both 50-60 and 60-70. Buy the 60-70. Can tune it down close to its minimum and still have room for moving up.
    Also grim reaper broad heads are amazing. Don't skimp on arrows either. Anything over 7.4 gpi (grains per inch) is a no go. Also stay below a +- .004 straightness limit.
    Hope this helps man.

ry_kj_an

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I will certainly defer to others more qualified than myself but my advice is to not let yourself get caught up on brand. Go to a reputable archery shop (not bass pro or cabelas) and shoot every bow that fits you that is in your price range. I have shot pse for years and when I upgraded earlier this year I had the hardest time making a decision between Matthews and bear. PSE was a very distant third. I would plan to go during a time that is an off time for them so you don't feel rushed, etc. I'd also get in there in the next week or two because bow season will be upon us in a hurry. Good luck with your decision.I hope you enjoy archery/bowhunting as much as I have.

MRBULLRED

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I will have to go to a couple shops to try them out.
    On a side note, what do yall feel is the best trigger release for under $50?

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I will have to go to a couple shops to try them out.
    On a side note, what do yall feel is the best trigger release for under $50?

Under $50... eeehh.... If you can find a Scott Archery release you'll be happy with it. I personally shoot a Scott Little Bitty Goose release for hunting and when I practice or target shoot I'm shooting a T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss Release. I was going to step up to Back Tension releases but I'm not that competitive. Everytime I pull my bow out of the box to practice my first 3 shots at 20, 30 and 40 yards are within an inch of each other on the target I'm aiming. So I don't shoot much more after that.

Last edited:

NolaRifleman

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    I will certainly defer to others more qualified than myself but my advice is to not let yourself get caught up on brand. Go to a reputable archery shop (not bass pro or cabelas) and shoot every bow that fits you that is in your price range. I have shot pse for years and when I upgraded earlier this year I had the hardest time making a decision between Matthews and bear. PSE was a very distant third. I would plan to go during a time that is an off time for them so you don't feel rushed, etc. I'd also get in there in the next week or two because bow season will be upon us in a hurry. Good luck with your decision.I hope you enjoy archery/bowhunting as much as I have.

I agree. Bow choice is like exhaust sound on a muscle car - a very individual thing. Try different models and see what you like. I've been shooting on and off since 1980-81. Started with a Bear Whitetail. A decade later a local bow shop (no longer around) was pushing Indian Archery's try at compounds. I bought one with the now extinct overdraw. I was consistently shooting 100 yard 4-6 inch groups with it. Another 14 years later I bought a Hoyt Magna Tec which I've been shooting now for 8 or so years. After shooting the Hoyt (which I've wanted since the 80s but couldn't aford) I'm sold on Hoyt. I just bought a new (old stock) Hoyt Maxxis which is being set up by my favorite bow shop in Metairie. Can't wait to shoot it.

MRBULLRED

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    I spoke with chags yesterday. They have very competitive prices and I found out they have a 25yard range.. I'm going to have to check it out..

Glocker

Avid Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    West Monroe
    Like stated above bow choice is personal preference, but if you have a chance to shoot a Hoyt I would highly recommend it. As far as draw weight, you don't want to get down below 60 pounds for hunting. Less speed means less penetration and more drop at distance (30-40 yards, reasonable hunting distance). Also at 6'2 you're probably going to be looking at longer than a 29"draw length. I've always been told nock of the arrow should be at the corner of your lips. Your local archery shop will be able to hook you up.

bcs1209

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Morgan City Area
    In my personal experience, and haven't bought a new bow in 20 years untill a year and a half ago, buy local(i didnt, and regret it)! Like most things, buy Americian and buy local! I spent 1200+ on an awsome mathews z7 extreme with all the top of the line accesories (drop away,pin sight, quiver, arrows,release, ect...),4" groups at 50 yards, and i'm not a super archer, i own a super bow and love it. That being said, find what you like, and what fits you. Now that i have owned a nice bow and equipment, i think i could have saved a few hundred $ on accesories, and i dont in any way regret my extreme! There are many great manufacturers of bows ,buy what fits you. PSE, Bowtec(just bought an atomic for my 5 yr old), Hoyt, Mathews, ect... All great bows... Buy local, thoes local guys will appreciate your business, and you will need them to adjust your peep sight, change strings, ect... In the long run, you will have a relationship with more local people that you have something in common with. Just my 2 cents...

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    In my personal experience, and haven't bought a new bow in 20 years untill a year and a half ago, buy local(i didnt, and regret it)! Like most things, buy Americian and buy local! I spent 1200+ on an awsome mathews z7 extreme with all the top of the line accesories (drop away,pin sight, quiver, arrows,release, ect...),4" groups at 50 yards, and i'm not a super archer, i own a super bow and love it. That being said, find what you like, and what fits you. Now that i have owned a nice bow and equipment, i think i could have saved a few hundred $ on accesories, and i dont in any way regret my extreme! There are many great manufacturers of bows ,buy what fits you. PSE, Bowtec(just bought an atomic for my 5 yr old), Hoyt, Mathews, ect... All great bows... Buy local, thoes local guys will appreciate your business, and you will need them to adjust your peep sight, change strings, ect... In the long run, you will have a relationship with more local people that you have something in common with. Just my 2 cents...
    Agreed. Im new to archery myself and glad I went local instead of saving a few $s on the internet. My shop helps me out and willing to hold my hand so to speak as I learn more. In fact just upgraded mysight to a micro adjust lighted truglo and they helped install and sight it in right then and there. Looking into a drop away rest down the road but it is well worth the extra 10-20$ or so I paid on my sight and my bow going thru them then saving online (no worries about shipping damage etc either). Plus love supporting a small local business! My dad owns a small insurance agency and it used to do well and have 5 employees 20 years ago. Now its just him and he is doing ok but its so easy to get insurance online. I see the effect in a way. That is 4 people who dont have a job over the years. Sometimes it is worth the extra couple dollars and makes a big difference.

Last edited:

MRBULLRED

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I went ahead and went to Chags in Metairie and they had 1 Bowtech Assassin left so I bought it. I ended up going with 29" draw length and 68 pound draw weight. I think its gonna make for a great first bow.
    IMAG1102-1-1.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom