Cover

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mwill75

Tinfoil Fitted
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    New Orleans Area
    I usually assume that I, and my family are safe from most stray rounds(from the outside) in our brick building. When I think of penetration I think that mostly high powered large rifle rounds such as anti-material rifles are capable of piercing bricks. I think atleast most common handgun and rifle rounds would not be able to penetrate. But I have no idea if this is actually true. Does anyone know the amount of cover provided by a brick wall/building. What can penetrate it?

Even better does anyone know a reference guide on the amount of cover of different materials and objects such as car doors, refridgerator doors, desks, dumpsters. And other common objects we may use for cover.

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    Its going to be a hard one to figure out man. Some bricks have 3 holes in them, others have small slits. Some mortar is thicker then other mortar. Someone might be 20 feet from your house, someone else might be shooting from 200. All in all, you're probably safer in your brick house then you think, and I really hope you're just wondering for a "what if shtf" situation and not actual stray bullets on a random day hitting your family.

Same goes for the reference guide, all of those materials differ by make, model, etc. Dumpster would probably be your best bet as most are 1/4 inch steel, but you'd be deaf if someone shot it with you inside.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I've seen a 240 tear up cinder block built structure and that is essentially a .308. granted it has a little faster rate of fire than my bolt gun.

So yes when the popo raids your house with their .223s you should be safe.

What gets me is my house is brick on the side and rear but the front is hardy board:eek4: So if you attack me please don't come from the front.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I was just about to post the Box o' Truth too. Great site! Not exactly scientific, but very real-world circumstances. The sand was the most surprising to me. That stuff stops bullets in their tracks.

Top Bottom