Cowboy Action Shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Caught a program on cable and I'd liek to know a little more.

Anyone here into that?

If so, what are you guys mostly shooting?
    Ruger?
    Ubertis?

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    I'd like to get into it. I am picking up a Vaquero when I get in from this job.

I wonder if any Cowboy Action matches are held here in South La.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I like it. Are you talking about the show Cowboys?

I like Rugers cause they are made stronger and can handle more. Most of your World Champions are using Rugers. They are affordable and tough.

USFA makes a caddy of a single action but they are priced right up there with real colts.

Its a fun sport. I have been following it for a while but im just not actually getting into the sport hands on.

blueyednd

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Slidell, LA
    I used to be involved in the 90s prior to moving to LA with the Alabama Rangers. http://alabamarangers.com/ It is alot of fun. It helps when you are getting started if you know somebody already involved. Mostly to loan you some guns to use, to try it out. Good luck. You'll meet some good people cowboy action shooting.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I used to be involved in the 90s prior to moving to LA with the Alabama Rangers. http://alabamarangers.com/ It is alot of fun. It helps when you are getting started if you know somebody already involved. Mostly to loan you some guns to use, to try it out. Good luck. You'll meet some good people cowboy action shooting.

I went out to my orientation yesterday and even got to shoot a little so he could see my gun handling skills. I had a blast and cant wait for the next shoot. I still dont have all of my competition guns that I will need. I have always collected a little of this and that but now im trying to put together a set so I can go compete. I have one .45 but after shooting some .38s this weekend I think I may want to use those. They were so sweet.

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    I like the Rugers for the coil springs. All the revolvers are strong enough and most cowboys shooters are shooting really light loads. As far as a rifle. I'm shooting a Marlin but most of the top shooters are shooting Win. '66 or '73 copies. The Win. copies can be made very smooth and short stroked. Most guys are shooting Win. '97 shotguns or copies. But there are guys shooting side by sides really fast. Caliber, I'm shooting 38 special, but some categories will require at least .44 caliber.

Matches, first Saturday in Sorrento, 2nd Saturday in Amite, 4th Saturday in Sorrento. There's a third Saturday match in Mendenhall and maybe a 2nd Sunday match in Gonzales (not sure about the Gonzales match).

Last edited:

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12170

CAS information

You'll need 2 handguns,pistol caliber leaver action rifle, and a sxs shotgun 16,20 or 12 gauge or

win 97 pump in 16 or 12 gauge.

Best to get pistol and rifle in same Caliber.

Come out and the Cowboys and Gals would let you try out some of their toys in a safe Bay.

My 13 year old shot with me she has been the girls State Champ for two years.

G.D.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom