Coyote hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol shep

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    Ethel, LA
    Anyone here have much success with hunting coyotes? I've tried a couple times before deer season started with an electronic caller, but no luck yet. Looking forward to much more access to property now that the deer hunters have given up...

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I did out of state on my ex-boyfriends family property. Was hit or miss. We'd shoot 5-6 a week sometimes, sometimes you'd only see tracks for a week or two.

We didn't call them. Just old fashioned tracking and seeing them randomly on the property.

ol shep

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    Ethel, LA
    I've tried outlying areas around Zachary where they've been heard by friends. I imagine it's a hit and miss thing with the amount of territory they cover.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I bought one of those Icotec callers but haven't tried it yet. I plan to make some sets at my hunting lease in Walker where we have seen coyotes, bobcats, and foxes. Probably try one of those motion decoys but I have heard a turkey feather dangled with fishing line so it flutters in the breeze is just as effective and lots cheaper with no batteries.
    Icotec is supposed to be coming out with a programmable caller but I don't know the cost and if its any cheaper than the FoxPro lower end model. I got the Icotec 300 model with 12 sounds on it with a remote for $80. I plan to use it on crows as well.

I also made an MP3 caller using a Radioshack amplifier and a speaker I had from an old Johnny Stewart caller that works well and I probably have about 100 sounds I downloaded free off the net. There are plans for it on the net. Its very simple to make but doesn't have a remote.

Last edited:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have done it a good bit and like ol shep said it can be hit or miss. The best time for sure is at night. If you have access to nightvision and an e caller it can be amazing especially around here because not many people actively hunt them. I have noticed that they learn very quickly though. The first few times hunting a property we will usually kill several coyotes and they normally just coming running into the call. However, after shooting a few they wise up. I have watched them come out to the call up wind and circle a few hundred yards away to get down wind and then haul ass. Either we killed all the stupid ones or they wised up. There is a bunch of info on predatormastorforum.com. It is crazy exciting when you get them answering and have them slowly getting closer answering the whole way. Also if your looking at e callers I would highly recommend fox pro. They are a little more expensive but imo they are way better than any of the others I have heard. The sound is much clearer especially on the highest settings.

Top Bottom