Curious, what's in your BOB and what's your plan?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    What scenario do you plan around? Whats your plan? What's in your bag to support your plan? How long do you plan for? Do you carry water? What food and how do you ensure its edible (rotating stock?)? Do you have one bag to get you home and a larger there if needed? Do you keep it with you, in car, leave at home?

Please, no argument about who's is better or not a good plan. Me and a friend was talking last night and got me thinking and wondering about a few things.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I keep the bare essentials in the car: lighter, rain gear, flashlight, knife, snacks, gun, nalgene bottle, spare jacket, potable aqua+. This is to get me to safety.

Home: I don't keep a particular bag packed but have what I would need ready to go. Sleeping bags, tent, water filter, basically my backpacking setup. Its not good to keep a sleeping bag rolled up tight btw.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I tell everyone to plan it like a camping trip in a bad part of the woods. Enough food/water and supplies for a week and your choice for personal protection. I really think TV has the whole Prepper thing going way to far. We all know what we need in a crisis sitiuation. We all know what to do to prepare for the next Katrina. Me personally? Nothing packed or ready. All my water and mre's are in the gun room. Ar and Pistols stay in there bags. Camping equiptment in closet next to outside door. For me its pull truck around to saide door and load up. Its by no means packer or ready but easy to get to. I dont have the self control or enthuiasim to pack and prep. Yep, im lazy. But im always the one the neighbors come to when the power goes out. And i really think city folk are differant than us living in the country. We pack and think differant. Id like to hear what other do. But im not doing anything to prep.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I tell everyone to plan it like a camping trip in a bad part of the woods. Enough food/water and supplies for a week and your choice for personal protection. I really think TV has the whole Prepper thing going way to far. We all know what we need in a crisis sitiuation. We all know what to do to prepare for the next Katrina. Me personally? Nothing packed or ready. All my water and mre's are in the gun room. Ar and Pistols stay in there bags. Camping equiptment in closet next to outside door. For me its pull truck around to saide door and load up. Its by no means packer or ready but easy to get to. I dont have the self control or enthuiasim to pack and prep. Yep, im lazy. But im always the one the neighbors come to when the power goes out. And i really think city folk are differant than us living in the country. We pack and think differant. Id like to hear what other do. But im not doing anything to prep.

That's about my plan. Although seeing the ice locked roads in the north and seeing guys who couldn't get home from work here due to closed bridges got the thinking. I think I wanna build a little something to keep in the car.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    What scenario do you plan around? Not having food/shelter/water/warmth etc. reason why doesn't matter. Whats your plan?Get back or stay situationally dependant. What's in your bag to support your plan?Food, multifuel stove, clothing, sleeping gear, folding solar pannel and battery pack, hygiene gear, Ti pots, food, water. Little stuff like a lifestraw. How long do you plan for? Weeks. I walk slow.Do you carry water? Not in the pack. Have clean dry bottles. And water next to the pack.What food and how do you ensure its edible (rotating stock?)? Dry goods, easy stuff (cliff bars, jerky, etc) sorry not going through it rit now. Check it and change it with the seasons. Do you have one bag to get you home and a larger there if needed? Bag is the wrong word. Do you keep it with you, in car, leave at home? I laughed at myself. I just drove to the Mayo clinic. 600 miles Monday, 600 miles back tues. I packed my clothing bag. My BOB, my small BOB (small kit I alway keep with me. Kafaru E&E kit with claymore pouch) a rifle bag, and my NVG's. For ONE day!!!!!

Please, no argument about who's is better or not a good plan. Me and a friend was talking last night and got me thinking and wondering about a few things.
    How can you have a plan?

You don't know whats going to happen.

IF my car breaks down, there's bad weather, the hotels are full, there's an EMP, or a war.... I don't care.

If I'm hungry I wish to eat, if I'm hurt I have my 1st aid kit, if I am tired I have my sleeping bag and bivy.
    If I thrust, I have water (and tasty mixes, and hot chocolate) and the means to Haveta my food and drink.
    I have lights and NVG's to see at night, I have the means to clean my water and carry it. I can wash my teeth and my ass.
    I can put on a change of clothes.

Etc.

Basically... Best I can do to maintain my current comfort.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I've got some essentials in 2 separate EDC bags and carry them according to the daily fashion. (you might think im joking... but my 5.11 rush doesn't go so well with a suit/tie)

Plan A- In order: Get to baby and wife, get to safe location (home if applicable), evaluate circumstances + apply my limited amount of intelligence with the resources at hand.
    Plan B- reinforce plan A.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    We have what we call a "72hr kit" and has everything we need to survive for at least 72hrs. Non perishable food, first aid & meds, batteries, snacks, paper plates & bowls, utencils, and basically anything else you might need for camping. I also have 20gal of gas, propane and a burner, and water cans at the ready in the garage.

mr. frog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vi-Lou
    Flint, non stainless knife, stainless knife, twine, compass, backup compass, mylar blanket, leather cantean, mono fishing line and braided fishing line, a few hooks, iodine, a ziploc bag full of tony's, mosquito net, 3 bars of soap, a pint of honey and a pint of j.d., any room left i stuff it with pecans.

killerkarl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Keep enough gas in my car to get me to my country home. Once I get there I will be OK until the medication runs out.

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    Can someone tell me the purpose of the BOB? Is it for the city folk who may have to leave their home in case of a disaster / emergency? Just wondering, because I live in the sticks. When hurricanes approach, family and friends come to my house for shelter. So do I need a BOB? If the SHTF, I want to be at my home, where there is a generator, well, stocked pond, beds, bullets, and food. Not a real chance of flooding where I'm at, but if it does I guess I can move to the 2nd floor of the house? Should the shelves get low on food, I would start shooting the critters in the woods, or catching fish from the pond or river. So I guess what I'm asking is, are all you with the BOB's heading for somewhere like us country folks dwell? Or should I have a BOB and plan on hightailing it somewhere too? Just wondering.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    If the shtf, I'll be at work. Plain and simple. But if need be, I am fairly confident that I have built my pov to get me anywhere I need to be, and keep it fully stocked with recovery gear and spare parts that could fail in a really rough situation.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Knife, gun, ammo, bic lighter, fuel tabs, life straw, stainless cup cookset, emergency bivy shelter, rain gear, pair of gloves, hat, socks, LED light with lithium batteries, sharpie, roll of 50# spider wire, bottle of honey, salt/pepper shaker, fork/spoon, sani wipes, washcloth, scissors, razor blade, zip lock bags, can of tuna, P-38, dehydrated pasta meal, energy bars, sealed pack of peanut butter, compass, multi tool, length of steel wire, hydration bladder stays empty and sealed, and a couple other things I'm sure, in a 3 day pack that weighs 14 pounds total without water and is comfy on my back. Hope I never need it, but it's been with me for a few years now. I go through it once in a while.
    My plan is to get home if I'm not already and protect me and mine.

Some people know how many miles they can cover in a day. Some don't

Last edited:

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    the plan is mountain bike to the dugout/cache area, about 5 miles away, at night, and stay there for a year, not coming out in daylight. So I have a 4 season kit that weighs 16 lbs, but does not include the clothes I am standing in, NVD, guns, ammo, gun-type accessories, concealable armor, food, or water. Depending upon what all else is included, the kit weight goes up to 45-50 lbs.

The bike will get protected by a couple of drum liners and duct tape, then be buried in a brush pile, chained to a big tree. If it doesn't survive, I'll find another one.

A week or less after shtf, the cities and towns will be empty, due to lack of water, and your places in the country will be where everyone is headed. So if you think that you can stay, better think again! You don't need to go far, a mile or less, really,. underground and stay there during daylight, with some food cached, and you should be fine.

Last edited:

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    that's what we need, drunks with belt feds that shoot thru skyscrapers and reach for miles.

Top Bottom