Custody argument results in Texas man being shot to death

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    should have never went in and grabbed the gun, it wasnt at that point yet, but i haven't heard what happened before this, any threats, was ex husband abusive in the past ect? but once he told him to leave his property and he didnt and tried to fight him and grab his gun, you are getting into a castle/stand your ground law, and the thought of him taking your gun using it on you.... again without know the pre story i think the gun was brought out way to premature

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    I only know what I saw from the clip that I watched earlier today which is this clip without the "news". While it may be ruled self defense in Tx, it's aggravating to me because its very difficult to explain to my non 2A friends or folks who are more neutral how someone goes into the house, gets a gun when it doesn't appear to be necessary, shoots the floor and then after escalating far beyond what appears to be necessary, "self defends".

I'm as pro-gun as a person can get, and neither of them appear to have much sense, but the guy with the gun escalated to the point that he may have needed it IMO.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    i agree, some of my coworkers do not understand the law... I think he was within his rights, but without know the beginning of the story, we can only guess... Without knowing any of that i think he brought the gun to the fight way to soon, but playing devils advocate whos to say he didnt have a history of beating his exwife, ect... and he was just trying to protect her.. and whos to say the x wife was using the child as another tool to get back at x husband, and continuing to violate his right/court order to see his child, not that that has ever happened right lol

bottom line,
    gun prob brought out to early if you go by "feelings" by letter of law maybe legal

him shooting warning shot at the ground, and clearly yelling for him to get off his property and he grabbed for the gun and got away while still maintaining possession "feelings" he didnt have to shoot him... by letter of the law maybe legal

no charges have been filed yet but this will deff be a tricky one and make a wave of changes either direction this goes

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I think the shooter will have the law on his side, BUT the child will see/know this one day. Does he think he will ever have a good relationship with this child and his mother? He threw that all away with this. Totally unnecessary

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Y
    Crazy how calm everyone was when the dude just got shot. Almost like he punched him and knocked him out instead of shot him and killed him
    Yea I know, just shot 4 times and killed a man and they all just standing around like he knocked out a drunk man causing trouble

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Just go through all the custody disputes, and domestic disputes, that ended up in someone being killed by the disgruntled exes. It's almost always the exes killing the wife, girlfriend, kids, wife's new boyfriend/husband, wife's parents, wife's relatives, etc.

Look up the statistics on domestic disturbances. The highest death rates for police responding to those.

If you are dating or are married to a person that has an ex, with a proclivity to violence, or if you sense the former or court appointed arrangement is getting hostile, you better not get involved without being prepared to defend yourself.

The statistics are on the shooters side in a large way!

Now, that being said; if the women was screwing the ex over by making it difficult for the father to see his kid (that happens a lot too), she may have some culpability too.

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    the guy who went into his house to return with a rifle (fool 1), and fired it towards the other guy (fool 2), has just committed the crime of aggravated assault (louisiana law) a enumerated offense which becomes a precursor to the crime of first degree murder. continues and ends up killing (fool 2), is possibly open to prosecution for the crime of first degree murder, a death penalty offense (louisiana). i know someone will claim fool 1 was defending himself, but he had the opportunity to shelter within the home and not engage fool 2. it did not appear fool 2 was physically attacking anyone before the introduction of the weapon. also when fool 2 grabbed the rifle, this is easily a case of self defense after having been fired upon... this is a prime example of two adults making a series of bad decisions resulting in a really bad outcome. i truly feel sorry for the child here, he witnesses the death of one of his parents and may resent the other one as the catalyst of the death for the rest of his life... it is truly sad when parents use their children as tools of vengeance after a divorce...

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    But fool number 1 told him clearly to leave his property, fool number 1 also has all legal rights to stand his ground and not back down and in Texas they can defend life, property and livestock, not so in the state of LA. It’s defend life only, fool number 2 refused to leave the property when told to and attempted to grab fool number 1 rifle, fool number 1 broke away from fool number 2 and gained prob 15ft of room then shot fool number 2, now was fool number 2 inbetween fool number 1 and his other children and family Inside and made attempt to gain access who knows,

but yes we can both agree

“Fool number 1 and fool number 2”

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    But fool number 1 told him clearly to leave his property, fool number 1 also has all legal rights to stand his ground and not back down and in Texas they can defend life, property and livestock, not so in the state of LA. It’s defend life only, fool number 2 refused to leave the property when told to and attempted to grab fool number 1 rifle, fool number 1 broke away from fool number 2 and gained prob 15ft of room then shot fool number 2, now was fool number 2 inbetween fool number 1 and his other children and family Inside and made attempt to gain access who knows,
    If the shooter would have stayed inside and waited for the ex to kick his door in, then lit him up, this story is never seen. However, shooters' wife was outside arguing with the ex. They would have called him a coward if the ex shot the wife in the driveway while the new husband watched through the peephole.

Obviously there is more to this. Like, how did the ex arrive on the scene in the first place? Did the wife go outside to talk to him? Did he ambush her in the driveway? Did she/they know he was coming? Did they knowingly or purposely delay the transfer of the kid on time to dad?

Remember; the statistics don't align with the angry aggressors!

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    the guy who went into his house to return with a rifle (fool 1), and fired it towards the other guy (fool 2), has just committed the crime of aggravated assault (louisiana law) a enumerated offense which becomes a precursor to the crime of first degree murder. continues and ends up killing (fool 2), is possibly open to prosecution for the crime of first degree murder, a death penalty offense (louisiana). i know someone will claim fool 1 was defending himself, but he had the opportunity to shelter within the home and not engage fool 2. it did not appear fool 2 was physically attacking anyone before the introduction of the weapon. also when fool 2 grabbed the rifle, this is easily a case of self defense after having been fired upon... this is a prime example of two adults making a series of bad decisions resulting in a really bad outcome. i truly feel sorry for the child here, he witnesses the death of one of his parents and may resent the other one as the catalyst of the death for the rest of his life... it is truly sad when parents use their children as tools of vengeance after a divorce...
    I’m not sure many men would just go inside leaving the wife outside to deal with an angry visitor.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I think they said he was her partner, don’t think they were married… and if I read it correctly it seemed the x wife had a long history of delaying transfer abs refusing the transfer of the child, which could bring any man to his boiling point

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    This is how laws get changed - I agree with your assessment, but (being aware that I don't know the whole story) defense of property is a hard sell when watching the video. Everyone going inside would obviously have been a better call and if Fool 1 followed, by all means shoot him.

pandabear

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 1, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I think the shooter will have the law on his side, BUT the child will see/know this one day. Does he think he will ever have a good relationship with this child and his mother? He threw that all away with this. Totally unnecessary
    Yea, No Kidding. Like I always said, Just because you could, doesn't means you should!

Top Bottom