Cut Off Range Complex?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Don't have photos and only shot on rifle so far, but I believe it's 50yds, has a bunch of steel and you can set out stands for paper.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    262402855_135764538811206_7576678114064718367_n.jpg

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Thanks! Looks like the firing is done from behind the handrail and the targets are moved back and fourth. Shooting from a static position from behind a handrail is only so beneficial IMO (but I guess from a safety standpoint it’s the best solution).

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Thanks! Looks like the firing is done from behind the handrail and the targets are moved back and fourth. Shooting from a static position from behind a handrail is only so beneficial IMO (but I guess from a safety standpoint it’s the best solution).

Yep, but I bet if you catch them at the right time they'd accommodate something for you, they've been super chill when I've gone.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Its a great setup. Plates at about 20-25 yards, then again at 30-35 yards, and then big plates at 50.

They are always very accommodating to people. (within reason, lol)

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Plates are at 15, 25, and 50 yards. Currently firing needs to be done from the firing line.

We hope to have individual bays at some point in the future as we have quite a bit of land to play with.

If there is something you want to do and you aren’t sure if it’s OK, please ask. Our range officers are friendly and accommodating. They are guided by two simple rules when assessing range behavior:

1) Can the activity be performed safely within the confines of the range environment? (All rounds impacting the berm, no danger to the shooter or others.)

2) Does the shooter possess the skill set necessary to perform activity? (We are not going to allow you to run if it’s obvious you cannot walk.)

Now our range officers decisions are final and if they tell you no on something please just accept it, but you can expect for them to listen to what you are saying, respond thoughtfully and reasonably, and at all times treat you with courtesy and respect.

We want everyone to have as much fun as they can within safe bounds. As they say at my daughter’s school, “Experience personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom.” LOL.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Plates are at 15, 25, and 50 yards. Currently firing needs to be done from the firing line.

We hope to have individual bays at some point in the future as we have quite a bit of land to play with.

If there is something you want to do and you aren’t sure if it’s OK, please ask. Our range officers are friendly and accommodating. They are guided by two simple rules when assessing range behavior:

1) Can the activity be performed safely within the confines of the range environment? (All rounds impacting the berm, no danger to the shooter or others.)

2) Does the shooter possess the skill set necessary to perform activity? (We are not going to allow you to run if it’s obvious you cannot walk.)

Now our range officers decisions are final and if they tell you no on something please just accept it, but you can expect for them to listen to what you are saying, respond thoughtfully and reasonably, and at all times treat you with courtesy and respect.

We want everyone to have as much fun as they can within safe bounds. As they say at my daughter’s school, “Experience personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom.” LOL.
    I totally understand the range layout can only allow certain things to safely be done. Most of the people I shoot with are LEOs and shooting the post course requires moving forward. If y’all do go the individual bay setup at some point I’d suggest charging a premium for it over the static line (I’ll happily pay the extra).

Thanks for the info and please update us on BS as things progress.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    The POST course makes me smile. Any COF that can be easily passed with no sights on the gun, and shooting at a gigantic four foot target isnt exactly a healthy standard to challenge.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    The POST course makes me smile. Any COF that can be easily passed with no sights on the gun, and shooting at a gigantic four foot target isnt exactly a healthy standard to challenge.
    I agree that the course sucks and is a low standard (but not practicing for something that you must follow is silly). I’m sure you understand there’s other training that LEOs do….the minimum is set by the state but most departments have other requirements.

I know LEOs that always pass and I know some that struggle year after year (it is what it is).

Would you be willing to run the course with no sights and every point under 120 you donate $1000.00 to the range for upgrades?

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I agree that the course sucks and is a low standard (but not practicing for something that you must follow is silly). I’m sure you understand there’s other training that LEOs do….the minimum is set by the state but most departments have other requirements.

I know LEOs that always pass and I know some that struggle year after year (it is what it is).

Would you be willing to run the course with no sights and every point under 120 you donate $1000.00 to the range for upgrades?
    YES, I will !!! What is your donation when I shoot a 120 ?

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Big Tattoo, please so not bet Kurt (Advanced Laser). He is one of my closest friends and will probably be pissed that I ruined his hustle but the dude can flat ass shoot. He did UN Close Protection work in Bosnia, spent YEARS in the Middle East working for Blackwater and Triple Canopy, and now breaks into high security installations for a living.

Shooting at a very high level (and training others to do so) has been his job his entire life. The laser thing is just a side gig.

Please do not bet him because he can 120 a POST course with either hand without trying.

Sorry Kurt.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    YES, I will !!! What is your donation when I shoot a 120 ?
    I’m not putting up anything but in all fairness I haven’t called it easy or am I saying you can’t do it. I’m just trying to get the range some free dirt lol. I’d have to admit I would be impressed if you took a stock G19 with no sight and shot a 120 out the gate. And it could get a huge crowd out to watch just think if you had a bad batch off ammo the range would make $120K lol.

I’ve shot the course a bunch of times and I’d say 99% of the time I shoot a 120 every now and then I’ll throw the 1st 25 yard shot when swapping to the support side barricade making the score a 119 and honestly don’t remember ever scoring lower than that.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    You can shoot POST on a static range, the time is changed for the 25-15 phase. It's more for indoor ranges, it would suck to go downrange and move targets every stage somewhere like CutOff

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Big Tattoo, please so not bet Kurt (Advanced Laser). He is one of my closest friends and will probably be pissed that I ruined his hustle but the dude can flat ass shoot. He did UN Close Protection work in Bosnia, spent YEARS in the Middle East working for Blackwater and Triple Canopy, and now breaks into high security installations for a living.

Shooting at a very high level (and training others to do so) has been his job his entire life. The laser thing is just a side gig.

Please do not bet him because he can 120 a POST course with either hand without trying.

Sorry Kurt.

Bro I didn’t bet anything. I set it in motion that you were the only one that could win….. I don’t have anything on the line.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    You can shoot POST on a static range, the time is changed for the 25-15 phase. It's more for indoor ranges, it would suck to go downrange and move targets every stage somewhere like CutOff
    Yes I understand that but do realize not all departments allow you to modify it as you wish.

It’s honestly not a big deal. A group of us was just wanting to explore different ranges and that’s why I asked. We normally shoot many different drills and at the end of the day most of the LEOs in the group enjoy running the post course as they do for qualification (most also agree the bar is set low but still practice it as they shoot it for qualifying).
    Me personally I hate static shooting but understand it’s that way at many ranges for safety reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom