CUT THE CORD - LIving Without Cable TV

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN.

There is a ton of content between Disney+ and Hulu. ESPN provides me with access for all of my sportsball stuff.

Then we have Netflix. I suppose you could consider Amazon to be a streaming service although it's included with Prime.

Netflix is $18/mo
    Disney+ Bundle is $14/mo

So $32/mo for streaming on four services as compared to $100+ per month for satellite.

Thanks - great add-ons for cheap. Still learning.

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    I'm on the Northshore and my $100.00 Chanel Master antenna with a booster delivers Southshore broadcasted signals just fine. I recently purchased a Samsung smart tv and am enjoying the included internet included bonus channels. And don't forget you get Fox and News Max bundled in with Samsung. I watched the crazy Aussies racing semi's around a track today.

Still learning -thanks for info. I did not know the TV brands included service bonuses. This adds impetus to researching the incentives before buying a new smart TV based mostly on cost.

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    Every review I’ve seen of people in the beta is insane in terms of speed. Not sure about adverse weather affecting it though.

Have not had trouble with antenna reception unless the weather is extremely bad - usually right before we lose power. Antenna problem? Maybe. I don't have an auto-transfer switch on my generator and don't usually start it until power is off for a couple hours and the weather clears a bit.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The options and the technology changes... that's about it. Stay up with it and you wouldn't pay for any subscriptions or TV service.

I used to buy Project Free TV, which is a service for military and US citizens overseas.

I will also say a few other things....

1. There is NO SUCH THING as a Jailbroken Firestick.
    2. Don't buy a "Jailbroken" firestick... or an Android TV box... go buy a firestick on your own and do it all yourself. The resources are out there and they are E A S Y. The hardware is quality... every android box I have ever worked with just feels cheap... they never update... most of the time they are cloned from a great product a million times so the original isn't even made anymore. Oh, and the firestick is cheaper than all of them!
    3. VPN's are a scare tactic and overrated. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the VPN companies were owned by the streaming service companies... as a means for them to make money from their subscribers AND those who find other means.
    4. NOTHING is forever. Just like the old cable boxes... the cards for the satellite dishes... old XBMC on the modded XBOX's... what exists now, will change. Keep up with the technology.

Last edited:

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    I used to have Amazon Firesticks. They were cheap and we had several, but they aged like all tech and just couldn’t keep up with my expectations. Most of them went to eBay and I recouped a few bucks. I think I still have one somewhere ** If I do, I’d be happy to drop it in the mail for someone in need.

When it came time for an upgrade we went with the 4K 64GB model Apple TV. We’ve been very happy with the functionality of the Apple TV. It’s super easy to use and you can get tons of apps — even Amazon Prime video. Our kids are homeschooled so I especially like the ability to easily send something wirelessly from the MacBook or iPad to the big screen. I ran an Ethernet line for the Apple TV for better streaming and so my WiFi wasn’t impacted.

I have a couple Smart TVs and Smart Blu-Ray player right now. Have used the Smart features on the TV and they work well. I haven’t needed the Smart features on the Blu-Ray player yet, but anticipate relocating it soon and hooking it up via Ethernet also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I'm avoiding ethernet connections whenever possible. Recently a lightening strike took out everything except the indoor coax. TVs, extenders, router, modem, security DVR and cameras.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I'm avoiding ethernet connections whenever possible. Recently a lightening strike took out everything except the indoor coax. TVs, extenders, router, modem, security DVR and cameras.

Had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. It seems like it came in through the coax and got a lot of stuff but it was covered under homeowners policy. I went out and bought a surge protector for RJ45 from Amazon. I put it between the cable modem and my router. Hardwired is always better than wireless.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-PNET1GB-...S8/ref=pd_lpo_card_1?pd_rd_i=B000BKUSS8&psc=1

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Have not had trouble with antenna reception unless the weather is extremely bad - usually right before we lose power. Antenna problem? Maybe. I don't have an auto-transfer switch on my generator and don't usually start it until power is off for a couple hours and the weather clears a bit.

You have starlink? What kind of speeds you getting?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I was just happy to completely ditch AT&T after a decade of high priced cable/phone/internet service and cell service since the Bell South Mobility/Cingular days. Man they really didn’t want me to cancel and made it as difficult as they could. They also tried to bill me for another cycle on both services and threatened to screw with my credit but somehow that never came to fruition. Nasty people them AT&T folks.
    Happy with cheap cable for internet/landline and their included TV package. The wife caught the Amazon Firesticks on sale and somehow recently got another smart TV for free. I have the 60+mile outdoor antenna for the free channels and find it to be the absolute best reception. We are in Hammond and get NOLA and BR with no problems but only to the primary TV. I’d likely have to add a preamp to route the coax for other TV’s in the house. The Smart TV’s offer more than people think and if you have basic cable you can add a ton of other stuff either free or close to it.

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    Had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. It seems like it came in through the coax and got a lot of stuff but it was covered under homeowners policy. I went out and bought a surge protector for RJ45 from Amazon. I put it between the cable modem and my router. Hardwired is always better than wireless.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-PNET1GB-...S8/ref=pd_lpo_card_1?pd_rd_i=B000BKUSS8&psc=1

Thanks for tip on the surge protector and where to install it in the system. Using wireless now & would like to go to hard-wired. Several years ago, an electrical engineer consultant of mine had a lightning strike on a pole mounted transformer adjacent to his building that fried all his pc's. I didn't understand his explanaation at the time and still don't. He said the surge came through the grounding via the pole guy wire and bypassed the surge protection. ???

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    You have starlink? What kind of speeds you getting?

I'm stuck, for now, with what I think is pretty much basic COX-ucker. I don't understand some of the values, but "ookla" readings are generally - download 53.39Mbps; upload 2.86Mbps; Ping 10ms; Jitter 8ms. The values vacillate up and down every time I measure - but not significantly. Sometimes my programming is interrupted by a notice that my bandwidth is too low for quality viewing. I think they are periodically metering us to force upgrades in service and their fees.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Thanks for tip on the surge protector and where to install it in the system. Using wireless now & would like to go to hard-wired. Several years ago, an electrical engineer consultant of mine had a lightning strike on a pole mounted transformer adjacent to his building that fried all his pc's. I didn't understand his explanaation at the time and still don't. He said the surge came through the grounding via the pole guy wire and bypassed the surge protection. ???

Not sure how the guy wire did it unless he is saying it back-fed through the ground somehow...... IDK I am not an electrical engineer.

When I got hit I think it traveled through the CAT5 network cable but some of my non-PC stuff got it also like the garage door opener but it was mostly anything attached to coax so I think it came in through there and then transferred to the CAT5 through the cable modem. But insurance paid for it all so just a pain in the ass more than anything.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I used to have Amazon Firesticks. They were cheap and we had several, but they aged like all tech and just couldn’t keep up with my expectations. Most of them went to eBay and I recouped a few bucks. I think I still have one somewhere ** If I do, I’d be happy to drop it in the mail for someone in need.

You have to clean/delete unneeded data stored on your device(s). My Firecube, is a beast. The only movie/show/documentary I couldn't find with it and the Xanax App (so far), was 1985's Head Office; this weekend. Had to watch it on You Tube. I have literally watched dozens of old hard to find movies & documentaries. Now, truth be told; sometimes it is tedious to search all the different Apps within Xanax when looking for a rare movie. I kind of wish those developers would come up with a more simple broad search that could search the entire catalogues in ALL the Xanax Apps.

It also allows me to watch movies the same day they come out in theaters if it's one I want to watch.

Firecube + Troypoint + hardwired ethernet + Smart TV = awesome!

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    You have to clean/delete unneeded data stored on your device(s). My Firecube, is a beast. The only movie/show/documentary I couldn't find with it and the Xanax App (so far), was 1985's Head Office; this weekend. Had to watch it on You Tube. I have literally watched dozens of old hard to find movies & documentaries. Now, truth be told; sometimes it is tedious to search all the different Apps within Xanax when looking for a rare movie. I kind of wish those developers would come up with a more simple broad search that could search the entire catalogues in ALL the Xanax Apps.

It also allows me to watch movies the same day they come out in theaters if it's one I want to watch.

Firecube + Troypoint + hardwired ethernet + Smart TV = awesome!

MeToo! I wish they could simplify Xanax use - that's the only troypoint-recommended app I have trouble with. I usually use CinemaHD - easier. I have to clean the cache on each installed app every couple weeks - it's amazing how fast the memory fills up on the Fire Sticks. I tried cleaning out some of the Amazon bloatware to free up space - then nothing on Amazon worked. Had to restore ALL of it to get any of it. I'll look into the Fire Cube. I miss Mobdro - used to watch SEC Sports, etc.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    MeToo! I wish they could simplify Xanax use - that's the only troypoint-recommended app I have trouble with. I usually use CinemaHD - easier. I have to clean the cache on each installed app every couple weeks - it's amazing how fast the memory fills up on the Fire Sticks. I tried cleaning out some of the Amazon bloatware to free up space - then nothing on Amazon worked. Had to restore ALL of it to get any of it. I'll look into the Fire Cube. I miss Mobdro - used to watch SEC Sports, etc.

LIVE NET TV.... ALL channels... ALL Sports... EVERY LIVE EVENT.

https://www.livenettv.bz/

Can be a little flaky at times... but it works. I turn off everything except UK and USA.

Last edited:

Creoleman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Metairie,La.
    To the OP, I agree with everyone who said that a combination of antennas, smart TV, fast internet, and box devices (FiretvStick, Roku, AppleTv) will give good results, especially when you consider the cost differential. And I also agree...losing Mobdro was a heartbreaker, though I see why they had to go. A little over a year ago, I had a forty dollar package with Hulu that included DVR services. I HATE commercials, and you couldn't speed through them, if you left Hulu and came back in a few minutes, the commercial "froze" and was waiting for you when you got back. They did their best to make it difficult to cancel. Does anyone know if Hulu still operates like that?

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    would like to know that also. I am thinking about doing the Disney+ package for the kids and don't want to get stuck in cancelation hell if I try to end it.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    We’ve had Hulu 3 times and didn’t have trouble cancelling when we wanted too. All the streaming platforms have cancel when you want as far as I know.

Top Bottom