Cutting the barrel?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gulfdiver

Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    I have a moison and I want to cut the barrel and re-crown it. Is it hard to do that?
    Can I use a drill and a bit?
    I have called smiths and I can't find anybody who want's to work out here. I have a couple other projects and its a no go with them???

45auto

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 12, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    If you want any kind of accuracy out of your rifle you need to cut and crown the barrel correctly. It should be done on a lathe so it's perfectly square to the bore. No way you're going to do anything but ruin it with a drill. I can probably do it, I'm in Slidell, send me a PM if you're interested.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    There are Re-crowner tools that do an excellent job they have precision inserts and cutters for diff crown angles.

Done all by hand or with a drill with lot's of cutting oil and run slow.

rm76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2007
    Texas
    There are Re-crowner tools that do an excellent job they have precision inserts and cutters for diff crown angles.

Done all by hand or with a drill with lot's of cutting oil and run slow.

Thats correct, it can be done by hand. Brownells and perhaps Midway sell the tools to recrown. Have to have the right insert (bore size). First, use the cutter to square the cut with the bore and then use the crown tool of your choice. There are a couple of different crown angles you can go with. Instructions included with the tools. Not hard, but have to go slow and pay attention to what you are doing.

rm76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2007
    Texas
    Sure that will work, but for precise accuracy, one has to make the hacksaw cut perpendicular to the bore. I can't make a hacksaw cut that square. That is where the insert and square face cutter earns it worth.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I have a moison and I want to cut the barrel and re-crown it. Is it hard to do that?
    Can I use a drill and a bit?
    I have called smiths and I can't find anybody who want's to work out here. I have a couple other projects and its a no go with them???

Did you call Bill Berthalot? He is in Slidell.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I asked a gun shop with what I consider high gunsmithing prices how much for a cut and crown on a rifle they did not sell me and it was only $45. I am sure you can find much cheaper if you look around for a quality home gunsmith.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Why not just go to a local machine shop? They certainly would have the tools you need... Much better than a hacksaw... If it were a shotgun, I'd tell you have at it, but the crown on a rifle needs to be right. They can at least cut it straight for you. Then you can crown with the kit from brownells.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Alright....add a square. Work it with a file till you get it right. Round the edges with the file, finish sand, crown with the screw chucked up in the drill using the valve lapping compound. Or pay the man to sit on your rifle for 3 months before he does the same thing.

Top Bottom