Dallas homeowner shoots, kills 14-year-old intruder

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    http://www.kens5.com/news/texas-news/146743135.html

Investigators said the three young people rang the front doorbell of Lee Cobler's home in the 7300 block of Vallejo Drive. When no one answered, they went around the back and started trying to kick the door in.But Cobler, 51, was at home with an adult son. The son was on the phone with 911 when police said Cobler opened fire on the intruders, killing 14-year-old Luis Avila, a student at Hood Middle School.

VMLOw.jpg

What were 13 and 14 year olds doing breaking into someone's house?!?

I'm guessing they were all white (no mention of race at all in the article) so at least they can't throw this into project race wars.

Last edited:

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    If someone kicks my door down, I don't particularly know if age will cross my mind at that point. Dead by a 14 year old is just as dead by a 18 year old. Age plays nothing in my decision.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Though it is tragic that it was a child that was shot, he and all who choose to take part in such crimes should know the risks they take in breaking into a home. No different than a home invaision. All criminals should take note that they will automatically be shot after breaking in and being in someone's homes where they don't belong.
    You'd think they would understand something so simple. Don't break in, don't get killed!

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I just can't fathom being 13/14 and breaking into someone's house. At 14 I was interested in playing video games and sports with friends. I can't imagine saying "hey guys what should we do tonight? oh yea let's go break into someone's home!!" :ugh: What's wrong with today's youth. Heck I remember posting a story about some young teens pouring gasoline on another kid and lighting him on fire. Seriously what the hell.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Good for him.

Of course they had to mention that the 51 year-old man was a member of the neighborhood watch (which totally matters when someone is trying to break into your house, right?) Sucks that such a young kid had to die, but maybe those other two will get on the right track seeing what happened to their friend.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    He was looking to steal money so he can buy video games because he had no friends and too fat to play sports.

No, they were doing it cause it was cool and they might find a little cash for weed or cigarettes etc. now some dad has to live with the fact that his child was killed, and deserved it.
    Every highschool should post this as a warning to other kids.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Oh well.

I'm sure the gang he belonged to/was trying to join will have no trouble finding another recruit. :dunno:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Police spokesman Sgt. Warren Mitchell said no charges have been filed against Cobler, but a grand jury will review the circumstances of the fatal shooting.

This is where Texas decides the bounty on home invaders to be paid to the 51 yo victim.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Back in the 70's, a Dallas PD LEO was shot and killed by a 12 year old. The 12 had burgled a school and the LEO went inside, saw the burglar, started a chase inside the school, the LEO fell down and his gun slid to the 12 YO and he picked it up and killed him.

Pretty sure Dallas PD doesn't care too much about age when they or someone else defends themself.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I'd be really pissed if I were a parent in that school system. How is it the school system's, and thereby the taxpayer's, responsibility to provide counseling to students over this issue, which had nothing to do with the school, and should instead be held up very clearly for all students in an assembly as an example of what not to do with their lives? I bet no one has the balls to do that, gather all the students and tell them some form of "sorry about your classmate/friend, but he did what we all know by his age to be wrong, paid the price for it, and you should learn from that." If it was a drunk driving accident, you know they'd have an assembly so as not to miss out on a teaching moment, but I bet they'll pass right over this one.

ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    I'm guessing they were all white (no mention of race at all in the article) so at least they can't throw this into project race wars.
    Cobler - home owner
    Avila - dead criminal

Sounds like a white guy and a white-hispanic guy, no need for AS and JJ here.

edrodhdfb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Zachary, La
    Avila is Hispanic origin, but the real issue is not race. Just like in the Trayvon case the issue is "don't start nothing and there won't be nothing". That goes for Zimmerman too! He played a part in that mess doesn't matter if he is in the right. He could of done things differently.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    I just can't fathom being 13/14 and breaking into someone's house. At 14 I was interested in playing video games and sports with friends. I can't imagine saying "hey guys what should we do tonight? oh yea let's go break into someone's home!!" :ugh: What's wrong with today's youth. Heck I remember posting a story about some young teens pouring gasoline on another kid and lighting him on fire. Seriously what the hell.

No crap. I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed playing pranks, but I never did anything criminal in doing so.

Good for him.

Of course they had to mention that the 51 year-old man was a member of the neighborhood watch (which totally matters when someone is trying to break into your house, right?) Sucks that such a young kid had to die, but maybe those other two will get on the right track seeing what happened to their friend.

Maybe they will. Or, maybe they'll be retarded and want "revenge" for him.

Top Bottom