Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    I finally bit the bullet and surrendered to 1911-itis. I spent an entire week deciding on which 1911 to buy, looking almost entirely at bang-for-the-buck type reviews across numerous forums.

Even though I could have bought two Glocks for the price of this there really is no comparison when the two are put side-by-side.

Before it even left the store, I had Morey install an STI ambi safety since I'm left handed. When I got it home, I took it apart and examined every bearing surface for rough spots/burrs. The frame rails on one side looked a little rough, so I took some 400 grit wet/dry auto detailing paper, slathered them in CLP and gently went at them. I did just enough to take out any high spots, and I'm counting on a few hundred rounds to do the rest. The frame-to-slide-fit is extremely tight.

I have yet to shoot it; hopefully, that will come tomorrow.

Without further adieu, here are some pics:
    normal_classic-commander-bobtail-1.jpg

normal_classic-commander-bobtail-2.jpg

normal_classic-commander-bobtail-v.jpg

normal_front-strap-checkering.jpg

normal_slide-to-frame-fit.jpg

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    Come on you can throw into something soft like Sapium sebiferum Chinese tallow:rofl:

Maybe eventually ... but as of right now, I'll leave that for the Glock.

Now, I need to stop reading reviews and pull the trigger on a leather holster and mag pouch for the CBOB. Holster makers don't make it easy; most of them have marginal websites at best and don't have **** for lead time info.

As of right now, I'm looking hard at two: the TT GunLeather Reinforced mouth IWB and the Andrews MacDaniel II. The MacDaniel II looks a LOT like what Louis was wearing at the shotgun class, and it looked quite comfortable. At the same time, I love the look of the TT GunLeather in brown with shark trim (damn, that sounds like a chic talking about a purse :mamoru:)

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Awesome 1911, greg t. I think I'm getting the 1911-itis as well. I've been eying Kimber as of late. I'm not sure which model I like the best though. I just know that I will most likely be getting one in the near future. :)

J

jayd

I love the way the CBOB feels in my hand
    After racking the slide 400 times (initially very tight) and shooting 450 rounds it feels as smooth as buttah

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    I love the way the CBOB feels in my hand
    After racking the slide 400 times (initially very tight) and shooting 450 rounds it feels as smooth as buttah

That's what I'm hoping will happen with this one. I've got about 500 rounds just waiting to break it in. Thankfully, I have tomorrow off :D

J

jayd

That is beautiful! How much?

Around 1k give or take

written review
    http://www.gunblast.com/DanWesson-CommanderClassic.htm

or

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CrcoRKG3E0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CrcoRKG3E0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Nice gun. I dotn know **** about 1911's and just bought my first one a couple days ago. So if my question is dumb thats why. Is their a specific reason for the bobtail or is just cosmetic. It looks like it would print less when you lean forward or carry owb. Just wondering thanks.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Sweet...love the bobtail 1911s. :cool:

As for a holster...try KD Holsters. Best holster for the money IMO. I believe their wait time is around 4 months right now. The funny thing is, I spent three months trying to find one quicker before placing my order with KD. I could've had it by the time I ordered it. I recommend just buying something cheap and generic for now (Hume, etc) and placing the order with KD or another quality custom holster shop.

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    Nice gun. I dotn know **** about 1911's and just bought my first one a couple days ago. So if my question is dumb thats why. Is their a specific reason for the bobtail or is just cosmetic. It looks like it would print less when you lean forward or carry owb. Just wondering thanks.

That's exactly the reasoning behind the bobtail. It doesn't feel or point any differently from a normal mainspring housing.

I hated the look of it for the longest time, but it finally grew on me. Now, I love the look and feel, and the added benefit of a little less printing helps too ;)

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Cool thats what I thought. Since were are answering dumb questions. Ive got one more. what is the little bar behind the grip that goes from the slide lock to the safety and why is it their. Do all 1911's have it?

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    Cool thats what I thought. Since were are answering dumb questions. Ive got one more. what is the little bar behind the grip that goes from the slide lock to the safety and why is it their. Do all 1911's have it?

That's the plunger tube which holds the slide stop down until the magazine follower hits it AND holds the thumb safety in position. All 1911's have 'em. ;)

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Ok now I see. It makes sense now that I took it down and cleaned/oiled it. Now I just need to find ALOT more ammo to put through it.
    THANKS
    Wade

Top Bottom