Dehumidification of Gun Safe

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Okay - need advice here....

I have a Fireproof 14 gun safe.....what is the best way to make sure I don't get humidity build up? What's the best way? I don't see a way to get an electric source into the safe as it is fireproof for one of the "rod" type devices.

Also - it came with Desiccant packs -- will these suffice?

Thanks in advance for any info!!
    Cheers!

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I know the Remington Desiccant pack can be recharged in the oven and it's what I use for now. Also, Remington has a rechargeable dehumidifier that I saw at academy

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    If your safe is inside a heated/air conditioned building, I'm not convinced that you need humidity control. I've never had it in any of my safes or vaults and have never had a problem with corrosion. But if it gives you peace of mind, the above mentioned rechargeable unit should suffice, IMO.

BRASSEAUX2

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I use a product called Damp Rid. It is a moisture absorber and last for three months usually. It is very inexpensive and can be found at Lowes and Wal-Mart and I sure many other places. I also purchased a Temperature/Humidity monitor from Cabela's for $9.00 on sale for each of my safes.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    i have one of these in my 24 gun safe and it seems to work. it is in ac/heated area so it probably isn't needed as I had no issue with corrosion either but I put it in there just to be on the safe side. it does pick up moisture takes awhile before it needs to be charged but I have had to charge it. pretty cheap and easy and doesn't require constant electricity consumption.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...=626381016&Ntt=remington+dehumidifier&Ntk=All

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Most gunsafes are airtight enough that once a desi pack is left in and it's sealed up, the humidity level stays low. Of course if you're a daily opener then that could change. But the relative humidity in your house may be lower than 20% at any given time. I use a hygrometer to be sure about the humidity in my safe when I do open up. And the rechargeable (heat in the oven) desi cans.
    Never a problem

Last edited:

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    read your instructions carefully, i havent seen a safe yet that doesnt have a pre cut hole for wire. most have the fire board covering it and you have to punch your on small hole. as the safe heats from fire any holes seal up ,the fire board swells. take a look on back bottom. i use a golden rod electric, if it anit eletric and runs without having to worry with it, youll find it will be forgotten. most of the manual dehumidfiers have to be serviced every other week. put a rod an forget

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    If your safe is inside a heated/air conditioned building, I'm not convinced that you need humidity control. I've never had it in any of my safes or vaults and have never had a problem with corrosion. But if it gives you peace of mind, the above mentioned rechargeable unit should suffice, IMO.

If the safe is reasonably airtight, moisture can be brought into the safe with the firearms themselves and then remain trapped in the safe. Especially if it comes out of your hunting case on a particularly wet day and into the safe.

Wood stocks, etc. can retain residual moisture that can't be wiped off. Of course the next time you open the safe this dries out but if there's a lot of time in between you could see some corrosion.

I don't really worry about it though. . . :dunno:

vgodenwa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Gloster, MS
    I highly recommend you don't use damp rid.
    The liquid that the crystals turn into is extremely corrosive to metal.
    If it spills and splatters, clean it right now.
    Von

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I picked up a huge bag of the little silica balls. It came in a box and weaved bag for $20.00. I recharge it (oven) ever month or so and it helped me out a lot. I have a window unit in my room that I run at night on top of the central air(I like it cold!!) and humidity can occur time to time.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I have a window unit in my room that I run at night on top of the central air(I like it cold!!) and humidity can occur time to time.

Same here. Picked up a portable A/C when the power was out for an extended time. Never took it back down when the power came back on. I was hooked on it after the second night and now I can't sleep without it. You could hang meat in my bedroom at night now.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Same here. Picked up a portable A/C when the power was out for an extended time. Never took it back down when the power came back on. I was hooked on it after the second night and now I can't sleep without it. You could hang meat in my bedroom at night now.

exactly. I think I enjoy the noise more than anything.
    Central on 69 and window unit on 60.
    Doesn't get much better. I find that I sleep much better. Thread derail for a moment lol
    I didn't notice an increase in electricity either on the bill. Not a noticeable one anyway.

Top Bottom