Die Set for Bolt Action Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I want to start reloading .270 Win for a bolt action rifle. I have some once fired brass that came from that rifle. I also have brass that is range pickup.

I have read & researched. ABC's of reloading & web. I'm just hitting a wall on deciding what brand & set to go with. I will be using single stage press.

I take it neck size only is good for my brass once fired from my rifle - it easily re-chambers.

I take it full size needs to be done on the range pickup - It will not easliy chamber in my rifle. ( I was not going to force it in )

Should I just get a set such as Lee Deluxe Rifle 3-Die Set, RCBS X-die or Redding 3 die set. Would it be better to make up a set from a mix of individual dies. RCBS X-die, RCBS Competition Seater & Lee FCD as an example.

I'm starting enjoy the precision bolt gun with scope aspect of shooting. I would like to acheive better accuracy. This will be my first attemp at reloading a bolt gun. .223 for AR is the only other bottleneck rifle I did. I'm aware of other aspects of reloading like trimming & case lube. I do consider myself a novice. The dies are the main issue at the moment.

Thanks,
    RDO

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yup. You gunna need two sizing dies . I use a Lee collet die set for my neck sizing only and a mixed brand set with a full length die for my pickups and auto rounds. You may wanna consider a "small base" sizing die for doing the pickups. It will help with the chambering in your bolt gun of the never before fired in your gun pickup brass. After that, use the neck sizing die only.
    Brand ain't real important. They are all good. I do prefer the Lee's for some reason, but the RCBS, Redding, etc. are all good.
    Basically for my bolt gun (using brass already shot in it), I run it through the neck sizer only and seat with the collet die. That is all.
    On my auto, I full length size, seat with the Lee collet, and then run it in the factory crimp die.

Last edited:

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Try www.handloads.com They have some very good people over there.
    I may have an extra copy of the Richard Lee book. It's pretty good but can get a little confusing at times. Lyman also has a VERY good manual.
    If you need some help and guidance, come up to BR one day and I'll show ya how I do it.

Top Bottom