Difference in Academy stores

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've read post by people who work for academy on here before so I guess they can answer this. Why are the two academy stores in BR set up so different? I go to the one on Airline mostly and it is pretty sad compared to the one on Siegen Lane. The rifle scope selection is like night and day. I think I know the answer but want to hear from someone a little more versed on this subject than me.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Metairie
    I have same problem in Metairie area. The store on Vets sells .223 rounds for almost 3$ more a box than the store in Elmwood .. Same store you'd think they'd have same prices.. I'm also curious of the reason??

navysooner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Metairie
    I have same problem in Metairie area. The store on Vets sells .223 rounds for almost 3$ more a box than the store in Elmwood .. Same store you'd think they'd have same prices.. I'm also curious of the reason??

Never seen that issue at those two stores. An individual store can't mark up prices from another store.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    Never seen that issue at those two stores. An individual store can't mark up prices from another store.

Sure they can. A lot of it depends on the neighborhood. A store located in a poorer neighborhood will have lower prices than one in a more affluent one. A good example of this is the 2 Walmarts in Houma. The one on the west side (more affluent) has higher prices on some items than the east side store.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've read post by people who work for academy on here before so I guess they can answer this. Why are the two academy stores in BR set up so different? I go to the one on Airline mostly and it is pretty sad compared to the one on Siegen Lane. The rifle scope selection is like night and day. I think I know the answer but want to hear from someone a little more versed on this subject than me.

The Siegen store was updated within the past few months, and they added the rifle scope section you're talking about. The two stores used to be set up similarly. I imagine they will eventually be updating the Airline store, as well.

ETA: I have no affiliation with Academy. This is just based on my observations.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I think it is a matter of time before the stores look the same. They finally remodeled the store in Harahan, La. Problem was that during the transition they kept rearranging the stock so much even the employees did not know where crap was. It was annoying.
    As far as prices are concerned, higher prices are not just in place for a higher income demographic. They sometimes, not necessarily Academy, have higher prices to keep lower income out. Grocery stores are great examples of this. A manager of a store close to me said they have higher prices to discourage people from coming in and using their government aid forms of payment. Besides, how many people do you see shopping at a place like Whole Foods with their LA Purchase card.

trout25red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Best Bank
    I think it is a matter of time before the stores look the same. They finally remodeled the store in Harahan, La. Problem was that during the transition they kept rearranging the stock so much even the employees did not know where crap was. It was annoying.
    As far as prices are concerned, higher prices are not just in place for a higher income demographic. They sometimes, not necessarily Academy, have higher prices to keep lower income out. Grocery stores are great examples of this. A manager of a store close to me said they have higher prices to discourage people from coming in and using their government aid forms of payment. Besides, how many people do you see shopping at a place like Whole Foods with their LA Purchase card.
    Funny, I have heard that is why the Causeway bridge toll is $3.

Commander 007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    If it's like Walmart the Sporting Goods Manager is given a generic list of items to stock. So this is what is stocked. The manager can order anything he wants to stock. So if they are into hunting fishing you will see better items. If you contact the manager he can order any gun at a good price. Just because they have the cheapest of that manufacturer doesn't mean he cannot get it. They will probably sell five cheap guns before one higher end if both are on the shelf. I got this information while in out of state. I saw a high end Weatherby and asked the guy. He said he was the manager and he can get anything he wants so he orders want the people in his area want and probably where I'm from it's not a sportsman that is the manager. He was a big time sportsman. Just like if your from down south if you go to a big chain store which we have you can buy artificial bait to catch Wallye but I don't thing it's selling to good because we don't have that fish within 500+ miles and that store does not sell Accardo jigs. Go figure

Top Bottom