Different Primers?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krato64

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    Hammond
    I am just getting into reloading and I have a question. Does it make a difference if i use a different brand primer than the one used in my reloading manuals? As long as they are the same type.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I personally have loaded Remington and Wolf primers and havent had a problem.

Contact Gmshooter on here. He's a sponsor and has primers for a good price right now.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    During the great primer outage I bought what I could get my hands on. This included Magtech, Federal, Remington, Winchester and Wolf.

Wolf is the only brand I've have multiple failures to detonate in multiple guns. I still use Wolf, but only to get my jollies at the range.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    As long as you start at the minimum and work up you'll be alright. Another consideration is primer "hardness". And this only comes into play if you've put lighter springs in your guns to get a lighter trigger pull.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Ditto on the primer hardness vs light spring scenerio. CCI's gave me fits in a comp gun years ago. Only other problem I ever experienced was the max load thing: I worked up a load for some super hot 357 mags and ran out of primers so I substituted some mag primers. Bent the top strap on a Dan Wesson revolver.
    I was a lot younger and not nearly as smart as I am now. JK. I'm still not a smart man but I am a more careful reloader now.

Top Bottom