Digging potatoes on a hot summer day

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Back in the day while working on our families farm in the summer, my uncle would use my two cousins and myself to fill in where needed, and lots of time it was hot hard work. Digging out Johnson grass in the middle of endless can fields, scraping down equipment and painting it with no shade in sight and plowing fields from the start of the day to the end of the day. We didn’t like a lot of the work, but it did transform restless youth in to sleeping zombies at night. There was no worries about us causing trouble as we went to bed early and woke up early. We also always had small gardens scattered about sometimes my uncle would plant potatoes and some years they really did well. We would go out with some of the guys that worked for us and use a middle buster and run it down the row to through the potatoes out and then we would gather them up and put them in sacks. Believe it or not we stored them in a shed that we built storage racks in ( picture bunk beds with wire where a mattress would be and they would last months and months. It was damn hard work but hey, back then we fine physical specimens built for work like that.
    I love potatoes cooked anyway possible, so the payoff was always worth the effort.
    For the last few years I’ve been wanting to plant some potatoes but life got in the way, but I made the effort and planted some this year. I went and bought 3 bags of organic potatoes from Trader Joe’s and cut them up and put them in the ground. You have to use organic potatoes because lots of times potatoes are treated with products that inhibit them from sprouting. The garden I was planting them in is a new area we plowed up last year. My cousin got the ground ready and one afternoon in late February or early March I planted them. The old timers say you have to plant when the moon is right and others say you have to cut the seed potatoes up and wait a day or so to harden them. I did none of that and they took off like a rocket. They were planted in bone dry dirt and we got a rain maybe 7-10 days later and the race was on. We dig some by hand a week or so ago and they looked beautiful so we made plans to dig them this weekend.
    We got the bush hog out and clipped the top of the row then my cousin got the old Allis Chalmer 175 out with a middle buster plow that is way older than the tractor and we got to work. The old tractor moved gracefully down the tow and the plow did its job. When my cousin got off the tractor after plowing the middle out we started picking them up and my mind ran back to those hot summers days when my younger self was doing the same thing. They say history does repeat itself and today was one of those days. If you don’t have a garden, start one this fall. Fall gardens are easier to grow. If you have kids take them out and show them how things grow and what it takes to make food. There are way too many kids that don’t have a clue and think stuff magically appears on the grocery store shelves. Take care my friends,
    842317c3a24a5ee91c964f8cde1d5d5b.jpg

and I hope your garden has a bountiful supply of veggies and a poor supply of weeds.
    4e68bb9a43767695789841a8372583be.jpg

046b1c006f6b909ace0603da1b611462.jpg

871d56b3b79a0802a100410e95eb72e7.jpg

96ba969dfdbd886a569a754ad281d303.jpg

21df0c5be8e937e2ee98176384276c79.jpg

184b08b881092646adc260527b3ed219.jpg

43ee4c7271056dddb9da7feafa8143ce.jpg

ddf31b1d17d8802da021abb2fd28823c.jpg

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    The potatoes look great. I'm jealous of the amount of land you have to plant on. Living in the suburbs doesn't give too much room for a garden, but we've been growing tons of sweet potatoes, tomatoes, beans, and a large variety of peppers for the past few years. I agree with you, everyone should have a garden. Raised beds are easy and cheap to construct, or even potted plants do well.
    PXL_20230610_194324095.jpg

PXL_20230610_160909500.jpg

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The potatoes look great. I'm jealous of the amount of land you have to plant on. Living in the suburbs doesn't give too much room for a garden, but we've been growing tons of sweet potatoes, tomatoes, beans, and a large variety of peppers for the past few years. I agree with you, everyone should have a garden. Raised beds are easy and cheap to construct, or even potted plants do well.
    View attachment 140868
    View attachment 140869

Those peppers look fantastic. Tell me more about your sweet potatoes. We grow them every now and then but I’d like to hear how you do it. May grow some at my house if your system can work for me.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Do the critters dig up your spuds? Friend planted corn and the racoons savaged his small crop.

If we plant corn we always are fighting the coons for it. They are relentless and you just go in knowing you will have to share. As far as potatoes go you do get occasional rodent damage, but mostly it’s insects you have to worry about. It seems some species of wire worm do a lot of the damage and maybe an occasional grub of some sort.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    Those peppers look fantastic. Tell me more about your sweet potatoes. We grow them every now and then but I’d like to hear how you do it. May grow some at my house if your system can work for me.
    Thanks. Believe it or not, we picked up some sweet potato slips at Home Depot a couple of years ago and planted them in a raised bed. Six slips took over the 8x4 bed and the vines started rooting pretty quickly. From those 6 slips, I think we had close to 80 sweet potatoes, with some vines surviving the winter and still producing this year. They're currently taking over the bed again. The only thing we add to the bed is an occasional dose of Espoma Garden Tone, and water of course. I used to say peppers and tomatoes were the easiest thing to grow around here, but the sweet potatoes are almost no maintenance.

This is one batch from last October, but my wife was still pulling them out of the garden in February.
    IMG_20230612_151546.jpg

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks. Believe it or not, we picked up some sweet potato slips at Home Depot a couple of years ago and planted them in a raised bed. Six slips took over the 8x4 bed and the vines started rooting pretty quickly. From those 6 slips, I think we had close to 80 sweet potatoes, with some vines surviving the winter and still producing this year. They're currently taking over the bed again. The only thing we add to the bed is an occasional dose of Espoma Garden Tone, and water of course. I used to say peppers and tomatoes were the easiest thing to grow around here, but the sweet potatoes are almost no maintenance.

This is one batch from last October, but my wife was still pulling them out of the garden in February.
    View attachment 140923

Those look tasty my man. I may have to give them a shot this year. One of my favorite things to eat.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

View attachment 140923
    Those are pretty. I now use my big smoker to cure mine. I just run a 100 watt lightbulb in on an extension cord and keep the temp about. 95 degrees for a week. Makes them real sweet

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    Vegs look great. Brought back memories of my youth in the 50's. Always had a couple rows of radishes, carrots, purple hull peas, tomatoes, etc. & my maternal Grandpa's to tend. Worked a couple seasons along with cousins planting garlic, onions, and other root crops, by hand, on hands & knees at neighboring Merlo's Truck Farm. Learned what a "redneck" really is.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    Those are pretty. I now use my big smoker to cure mine. I just run a 100 watt lightbulb in on an extension cord and keep the temp about. 95 degrees for a week. Makes them real sweet
    I might have to try that. We currently cure them in plastic bags on the windowsill for a couple of weeks.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    i usually dry our cayenne peppers on a big flat cardboard box in the shop on the top shelf, after about 1-2 months they good to go to the processer.... talk about clear your sinus out lol!!!!

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Vegs look great. Brought back memories of my youth in the 50's. Always had a couple rows of radishes, carrots, purple hull peas, tomatoes, etc. & my maternal Grandpa's to tend. Worked a couple seasons along with cousins planting garlic, onions, and other root crops, by hand, on hands & knees at neighboring Merlo's Truck Farm. Learned what a "redneck" really is.
    if I had a Time Machine Id make a trip back to the 50’s as life had to be pretty decent back then. America was a much different country.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    i usually dry our cayenne peppers on a big flat cardboard box in the shop on the top shelf, after about 1-2 months they good to go to the processer.... talk about clear your sinus out lol!!!!
    If my crop of ghost, habanero, and jalapeno peppers cooperate, I plan on drying some out in the dehydrator to make my own ground pepper powders. I'll have to plant some cayenne peppers for next year

Top Bottom