Dillon 550

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stateguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Should be getting a Dillon 550 for Christmas and have a few questions. I will have to expressly say what I want. Looking for recs on extras

Besides the base reloader what do I need to get?
    Strong Mount?
    Roller Handle worth it?
    Assuming the tool kit is stuff I already have
    Extra primer tubes?
    Can I get by with my RCBS/Hornady dies for a while to keep costs down
    Heard I can get the same plastic bins from other sources cheaper
    Spare parts kit?
    Low powder sensor?

For easy caliber changes - need a caliber conversion kit and quick change assembly - anything else? And dies obviously

Any other things I would need/want right off the bat?

Priced what I figured I'd want on Dillon's website for $561 (press, no dies, tool set, no bins, strong mount, spare parts kit, extra primer tubes)

Going to LA Reloading isn't an easy option right now - training in Jackson, MS for 2 more years

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I have a 650, and I didn't get the strong mount. It all depends on how high your reloading bench is. My bench and chair is the right height. I would get the reloader and see if it works without the strong mount. I also purchased extra priming tubes. I have a total of 5. Might get 5 more. That way, I can load a thousand without having to stop to reload primer tubes.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    As far as extras for the RL-550. Depending on where you put your reloader and if you stand or sit down to load. I stand to load and my table at the house is 4' tall so I don't have a strong mount for it. The one at the store is on a Strong Mount due to the table being 3', so to use it I had to put a Strong Mount under it. You can use any dies that are 7/16" x 14 thread pattern but the Dillon dies work best. They are a little more open at the bottom to make it easier to insert the cases. The seating and crimp dies can be taken apart and cleaned without losing your settings since the die body stays in the machine. The roller handle is a personnel choice, I still prefer the ball handle but I do have both. Extra primer pickup tubes are real handy to have. Low powder sensor is one option I feel you can skip, along with the spare parts kit. Bin boxes, yea you can get them from other places but your really not gonna save any money as they are not that expensive. You get Allen wrenches with the machine, just not the fancy ball end or the tool holder. You could save a little money and skip that as well.
    For conversions, the best way to do it is to purchase the Deluxe quick change kit. This has a new powder measure, powder die, tool-head and a stand. You will still need to get a set of dies and a caliber conversion. This will allow you to swap from one caliber to the other without taking parts away from one another. And everything fits neatly on the stand to ready to go the next time.
    If you have any more questions, either list them here or send me a PM.

Thanks,

Bryan
    Louisiana Gun

CATS

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Go visit with Bryan at LA Gun and then buy your Dillon stuff from him. He will be a tremendous help when you set up and have some question in the future. Buy local, get local help.

stateguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    "Buy local, get local help" - I agree with this 99% of the time (esp when people are as helpful as they are at LA Gun) - every bit of powder and primers I've used, many of bullets, and reloading class I attended all took place at LA Gun. But running by there one afternoon isn't an option like it used to be

Thx for the info - any other tips are appreciated.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tstevens42
    Top Bottom