Discussions regarding equipment load-outs *Lets see your set up

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I think many folks are basing their gear load-outs on what they see other folks doing and not really what they are going to be using the load-out for. I want to give folks some guidelines we use when determining what a suitable load-out is for a mission. This isn't really one of those "what you should do" discussions as much as it is "here are some things to think about".

1. What are your mission, tasks, and guiding principles?

a. Are you presenting an "up-armored" hard target or is your job to remain "low-vis" until something happens?

This dictates how much equipment is visible to others.

b. What are your "Higher, Adjacent, and Supporting" units?

If you have help close by this may dictate weapons choices and distance you may have to travel to get clear of any hostile incident.

1) Do you have an "on call" required response reaction force?

If you do you don't need to carry as much ammo/medical supplies/chow as you would need if you were going to need to fight your way out over a period of time.

2) Are you a civilian relying on a police response?

How soon are they going to get there? Once they get there how are they going to perceive you?

a) What is their standard response?

How long until you get rescued?

2. What are your 3 most likely/probable threats?

If you aren't going to go up against a band of zombies you don't need that RPK. If you my encounter armed gangs you may want a gun that holds more ammo than say 8 rounds. If you only think you'll encounter a single armed mugger a J-frame may be enough.

3. What are your mobility requirements?

Equipment+ Ammo = weight. You can't run as fast or as long wearing 60 pounds of gear.

4. What are your required "actions upon contact"?

a) Maintain contact and eliminate the threat? Lots of ammo

b) Maintain contact and await follow-on forces Not so much ammo

c) Break contact and evade? Not so much ammo

5. What assets are available for medical support and what are their response times? Blow-out kit vs. complete team trauma kits

6. Where will you be travelling?

a) Urban - Little survival equipment required

b) Suburban

c) Rural

d) Remote - More survival/medical equipment required.

7. If placed in a survival (life support wise, not gun fighting) situation how long must you survive before help arrives? This will dictate how much extra gear you will need to carry.

After time comes...

Space What is your battle space? What is the enemies operating space that you can effect? Is there any way you can limit his movement in the operational area.

Logistics How long can you carry the fight without resupply. When will resupply be available? What will you require by priority when resupply becomes available?

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I like this matrix. I will say though that #4 is wrong. Breaking contact takes waaaaay more ammo that closing with and destroying. To break contract you have to maintain a high volume of fire to discourage pursuit.

Top Bottom