Divorce Lawyers in the house?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    If they don't have kids involved it should be easy, split everything down the middle, community property and debt.

What if the debt was accrued before the two were married. Say, if she had tons of credit card debt or something to that effect? Wouldn't that be considered her debt only in a divorce situation?

I can understand splitting debt that was accrued while married, but if you marry someone in debt and then divorce them I can't understand the logic behind splitting that!

Anyone know what way it is in LA?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it.

The way he sees it, is that since he hasn't been living there in over 6 months, he can do whatever he wants. He also thinks that once they sign any form of paper, that he's a free man and can do whatever he wants.

When they sign papers, is there still a 6mo waiting period??

I'm trying to find a way to convince him that he is screwing himself over, but he doesn't want to listen to the only person who is furious about the situation.

Best thing is that my girlfriend is best friends with both of them too. His ******** isn't makng my life with her easy AT ALL.....

Thanks again guys :-/

It doesn't mean a rats ass how he sees it. It's how he court sees it.

He's thinking with the wrong head.

leVieux gave the best advice.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    6 Months from the time they file for divorce, unless they have children then its a 12 month period.

The court does NOT recognize a separation until they have legally filed so technically eventhough he doesnt live with her and to his eyes they are separated they are really not. At the same time once he/she files they cannot have sex with each other or the time starts over again, him heaving a GF when he hasnt started the legal process just makes it easier on his wife to take everything he got plus she can add adultery to the list which will be an almost automatic divorce.

She's the one to win at this one, it seems he is playing the game on both sides both with the wife and the GF, he wont smile much when he is out with nothing heaving to pay her for alimony and child support if they have children.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Stay out of other folks' marital problems.

This goes double if you claim to be a friend of both parties.

leVieux

I totally agree on this one, but that's not possible. Names and situation have been changed up a bit, incase anyone on his side reads this - but it really is non-avoidable in this instance. Trust me.

If someone is truly experienced in law, send me a pm and I'll give the whole story once I get to a computer and off this dang phone.

Top Bottom