Does anybody keep a shotgun and/or a rifle in car in addition to carrying handgun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Anyone who has posted anything on the internet can be found. I just searched at Bing search engine for "Born4spd" and found you at quite a few web sites. If one wanted to they could pay something like $25+ at a "find people" website and get your email address, home address, phone numbers, crimminal background check and more. There is very little real privacy on the internet. There is software that protects you while your on the internet, such as blocking your IP address and other privacy issues but as soon as you register at a website or post something to the net someone can find you. Use Google, Bing or which ever search engine you like and search for yourself.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    While a shotgun won't penetrate body armor, I am told the energy of buckshot or a slug will "liquify" the insides of a man from all the energy delivered against the armor

:rofl::rofl:

If I knew somebody was wearing body armor, I'd just skip right to trying for a head or leg shot.

I love shotguns. I think they make a great weapon under the right circumstances.

But damn, I might just love the hyperbole going around about them the most.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Do I know you? ;) I don't tell anybody what I carry and where unless it's a policeman pulling me over. Nobody knows who anybody is over the internet.
    Just a subject of conversation on an internet gun forum.

Many on BS know who I am, you may be one of them. I am not hiding from anyone or anything, no tinfoil cap here. I just do not think it is prudent to tell everyone on line exactly where each and every gun is located on my person, in my vehicle or in my home. Everyone may have different views on this subject. Happy Shooting.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Anyway, back to the discussion. Trash Hitting the Fan scenarios have played out often enough all over. From school shootings to nutjobs going nuts in body armor to riots that burn down cities. If you pulled up in a part of town and 5 minutes later such a scenario erupted a few feet from you...wouldn't you rather use your handgun to shoot your way to your a Shotgun or an AR in your truck (assuming you couldn't get away) rather than going against the odds with a handgun alone?

Also, in a gang situation, a shotgun is more likely to end a problem before it begins. KA-CHUCK can be a lot more effective than Kung-Fu

What does the back of your CHL say?

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    A handgun might not cut it under such circumstances (look up Tyler, TX shootout a few years ago. A CHLer and CHL instructor engaged such a man with a 1911 and died because the man had body armor).
    It was one person who was a CHL instructor and a CHL holder, Mark Wilson (it sounded like to different people in your statement). He was walking along the sidewalk when **** hit the fan.
    Milson shot the BG in the chest and took cover behind the nearest truck when the BG turned all his attention to Mr. Wilson and began to walk him down.

The BG was wearing body armor and a flak jacket covered by a dark long sleeve jacket.
    He was stuck between a rock and a hard place
    Either stay and fight a man with covered neck to waist in armor carrying an AK or do the 100 yard dash to the nearest building and get shot in the back.

Mr. Wilson exposed his head and chest to get a shot and got shot in the head. The BG walked up to Mr. Wilson's body and shot him four more times.

I'm guessing when Wilson engaged the BG he didn't know he was wearing protective armor.
    While a shotgun won't penetrate body armor, I am told the energy of buckshot or a slug will "liquify" the insides of a man from all the energy delivered against the armor putting them down if not kiling them
    :rofl:@ liquefy
    At most, the shot will bruise, cause slight hemorrhaging, and the felling that someone pushed them.
    You're also going to grab the person's attention, like Mr. Wilson.

Your best bet is to aim for the BGs extremities.

:)

Last edited:

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    I don't leave anything in my car that I would want in the hands of a criminal. To me, if one of my loved ones gets shot by a stolen firearm; which was stolen from some lazy ass who finds lugging a gun from his house to his car difficult..... I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    It was one person who was a CHL instructor and a CHL holder, Mark Wilson (it sounded like to different people in your statement). He was walking along the sidewalk when **** hit the fan.
    Milson shot the BG in the chest and took cover behind the nearest truck when the BG turned all his attention to Mr. Wilson and began to walk him down.

The BG was wearing body armor and a flak jacket covered by a dark long sleeve jacket.
    He was stuck between a rock and a hard place
    Either stay and fight a man with covered neck to waist in armor carrying an AK or do the 100 yard dash to the nearest building and get shot in the back.

Mr. Wilson exposed his head and chest to get a shot and got shot in the head. The BG walked up to Mr. Wilson's body and shot him four more times.

I'm guessing when Wilson engaged the BG he didn't know he was wearing protective armor.

At most, the shot will bruise, cause slight hemorrhaging, and the felling that someone pushed them.

HA! Yeah Mr. Wilson is the one I was talking about, couldn't think of his name.

Go to youtube and look up David Arroyo/tyler shootout and you'll see how ineffective handguns were at that shootout. Unfortunately they don't mention Mr.Wilson (typical media) but they do show several Smith Co. sheriff deputies trying to take Arroyo on with handguns and getting mowed down or suppressed at the front doors of the courthouse
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lvw8QR26Kc[/ame]

Anyway, liquify was what I was told, it may not be true...but this much I think could be said...if I was hit in the chest with a slug or buckshot wearing body armor...it would feel like a baseball bat swinging into my chest to say the least. In any event, I wouldn't feel like continuing the fight.

As to the poster that said they'd go for the head or legs if somebody was wearing body armor. I say, easier said than done. A head moves and it is a smaller target. Legs are far less likely to be a fatal blow and less likely to stop an attacker. A blow center mass is what is most likely to do the trick.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Judging by what I've seen most people here are carrying a tactical knife, fork, and spoon in their vehicles. Now we're as average people who are not in the drug industry or carrying thousands of dollars are concerned about people attacking us wearing body armor? Ok it's possible but come on seriously? It's also possible an airplane might crash into my house this morning.

Dave

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    ^
    If you really want to go by statistics...leave your handgun at home, you probably won't need it.

Picture this though, what if you're driving through South Central Los Angeles right after those Rodney King policemen were aquitted. A mob of blacks get in your way and cause you're car to swerve into a telephone pole or hydrant. Your car is disabled. A mob is coming at you to beat you and rob you. What would you rather grab first...a .45 Automatic or a Remington 870 12 gauge? Which do you think would be more likely to allow you to come out on top? Or better yet, which do you think would be more likely to cause the mob to possibly rethink it's situation.
    Let's say you come out on top or the mob leaves you alone.
    Your car is disabled. You've got to walk home (sticking out like a sore thumb unless you happen to be black) or at least to the nearest shelter or police station for several blocks in a riot infested neighborhood. Would you rather have a .45 Auto or a 870 in your hand?
    And before you say it, if a cop car drives by and happens to pay attention to you walking in the course of a riot and they aren't too busy...put the shotgun down and let them take care of you...you are safe.

Is this likely to happen? No. Could it? Yes.

Yes an airplane could fly into your house. A hurricane could destroy it. A fire could destroy it. A tornado could destroy it.. Will any of these things happen? Probably not.
    Sooo...why not save you some money and cancel your insurance.

Last edited:

Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    And i am not trying to be anonymous, i prefer if people know me in person.

I wear very little tinfoil.

Im just saying its always good to be careful, this is a public site, any loser can come in here and read what you keep where, and before you know it your hard earned items are gone.

Just trying to help.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    And i am not trying to be anonymous, i prefer if people know me in person.

I wear very little tinfoil.

Im just saying its always good to be careful, this is a public site, any loser can come in here and read what you keep where, and before you know it your hard earned items are gone.

Just trying to help.

+1

I've already had a friend track my laptop while I was in hammond. Nothing is kept private unless you live in a hole with no contact to civilization.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana

Tell you what, If you really believe that, why don't you go put on some Type II or Type IIIA body amor, get a friend to shoot you with a 12 gauge slug and 00 magum buckshot from 12-20 ft away. If you come back and show it to us on video...I'll concede your point. If you don't come back....well, hopefully I can send you some flowers in the hospital instead of the funeral home;)

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The KA-CHUNK might or might not scare a bg. KA-CHUNK-BOOM will definately get their attention! Still, I wouldn't feel unarmed in a city environment with a .45. I'd prefer an AR. Actually, I'd prefer a clear street and a working vehicle with enough clearance to get over a curb...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom