Does anyone fly fish?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mossbergman

RimfireRat
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    btw I'm a salt water fly fishing dabbler, and sometimes freshwater fly fishing fisherman too. I was just being facicous. It is definitly rewarding if you land something on the fly. But if you go around the marsh blind casting a 9wt rod making 50 ft casts for hours it can get to be not fun.

Here's where it becomes work . I'm not near any salt water so I fish Smallmouths and Trout.the last yr or so i decided i was going after "fresh water Bonefish" (my nickname) as i can cruise in the yak spot them tailing and sight cast to them same as the guys fishing the salt flats in SW I lost my first hook up last yr . .At least a 30#er. went back this yr and found his baby Brother only 31" 18# s but that was where the work started.
    Tarpon-Carp-Rod.jpg
    I was in my 10' Tarpon SOT yak and spent 20 -30 minutes with this baby, the Work is the fun part. So any one with the lowly carp near by have some fun,introduct them to your fly rod.:D --JMJ--

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    When I lived in michigan I caught alot of Pike on fly rod.. Lots and lots of fun.. They are strong and good fighters.. I enjoy the fight....

However I dont like to clean fish so thats why I am a catch and release guy ..

LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    I have Flyfished in Just about every stream from the Blackfoot to the kennebec. I am an Orvis man,my Father still uses his Shakespear Wonderod instead of the 2400 dollar custom Orvis i bought him,lol and my grandfathers still flyfishing at 98. My favorite places are the Gunnison, and the Upper Rio Grande above 30mile and Christmas meadows Utah.

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Shakespeare even though a "low end" rod is still an awesome rod. I have about 10 ugly sticks that have never let me down no matter what I was fishing/lb test/reel combo.

LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Me nah i use a TLS, my dad has both the customBamboo 9.5ft and the glass 9.5 , but he only uses them when i got with him , he has actually wore the eyes out on his wonderod 11 times since 1942. He has had stories written about him in Field and Stream and Outdoor life, My fathers name is Ted, and hes fished every major river in North America from the Denali, to the Rio, from Kettle Creek to Cross fork, and everything in between. In 1963 while in the Alaskan Wilderness he and 4 others were attacked by a grizzly, it killed 3 of them, my father is still scarred all over his lower body from it, the bear was shot 34 times and died on top of him, later an autopsy and investigation was done, the bear had stalked them for 11 miles.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    +1...There are so many decent fly rods on the market now that are capable of far more than most fly fisherman that there's no need to break the wallet.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    For $10K a rod should come with a boat, trailer, and outboard.

Indeed. My first flyrod my dad got me was bought with H&S greenstamps many moons ago. Don't remember if I still have it or not but picked up one several years back from wallyworld and only used it a few times. I like to use it for bass. Never forget when about 14, caught a 6 pound grinnel on the S&H greenstamp one, just about took the flyrod away from me. Ohh, it it was a Cortland setup, 8 1/2 foot light action.:D

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    Does anyone fly fish?

I can't seem to get the fish to stay airborne, so I fly kites, flags, and model airplanes instead.
    I prefer salt water and heavier tackle.
    If you go in salt water, let me know, I may want to tag along and do some conventional fishing or bow fishing nearby.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I can't seem to get the fish to stay airborne, so I fly kites, flags, and model airplanes instead.
    I prefer salt water and heavier tackle.
    If you go in salt water, let me know, I may want to tag along and do some conventional fishing or bow fishing nearby.

Try a speed boat.

BIG1LOST

Displaced Montanan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Pineville
    you can fly fish for any fish,,even cats,,with the right fly/poppers/streamers,,in salt too.I like arkansas for trout,,,but down here in La. bass and all the others are possible.
    When I fish for fun,,I flyfish,,,anyother time it's for eatin',,so the longrod stays home.

Top Bottom