Does every state LE have access to your concealed weapon permit status?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    As in a routine or otherwise pull over/stop, or DOT inspection in my case.
    Currently I don't carry due to company policy, but I don't leave the state while working either.
    Now it looks like I'm gonna have to go out of state periodically and I'm on the fence about carrying anyway when I have to stay overnight somewhere like Chicago, Houston, etc....
    FYI, I'm up to date on state reciprocity and the fact I'm duly obligated to notify if I'm actually carrying or transporting said firearm.
    Maybe this was something they mentioned in class but I don't remember.
    Thanks!

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I don't think they will know if you are a permit holder, unless you volunteer it.

Anyone can check the status of a La CHP simply by visiting the State Police Website and entering the permit number.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    As in a routine or otherwise pull over/stop, or DOT inspection in my case.
    Currently I don't carry due to company policy, but I don't leave the state while working either.
    Now it looks like I'm gonna have to go out of state periodically and I'm on the fence about carrying anyway when I have to stay overnight somewhere like Chicago, Houston, etc....
    FYI, I'm up to date on state reciprocity and the fact I'm duly obligated to notify if I'm actually carrying or transporting said firearm.
    Maybe this was something they mentioned in class but I don't remember.
    Thanks!
    So, there are two points to address in your post. I have bolded both.

1) It's a lot more likely that you'll get caught and fired from your job for carrying than it is that you will need to use your firearm in self-defense. You should watch this video:

2) Getting caught carrying (a concealed firearm) in locations where it is illegal is likely an arrestable offense. Getting arrested for carrying, especially while working, would likely also result in a lost job as well as a plethora of other problems.

Almost all people with carry permits will never use their firearm in self-defense. You need basically do a weighted cost-benefit analysis on the pros/cons of carrying while working. If you're really thinking you will have to go somewhere for work where you might need a firearm, I'd urge you to try to find a way to just not go there if feasible.

Finally, breaking the law is not good. States that do not honor LA's carry permit likely will not take very kindly to you breaking their laws. I would recommend training with less-lethal options that are legal in places that you're going that are also legal while doing your job.

Most companies won't have a problem with you carrying POM and a bright flashlight, both of which will solve 99% of your self-defense needs.

Reactions: 42

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    When I travel, I check the laws of each state that I am going through. Some have reciprocity, some don't. Some have must advise, some don't. Some have open carry, some don't. Some make you put the gun in the trunk, some don't. Educate yourself and follow the rules.

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    I don't think they will know if you are a permit holder, unless you volunteer it.

Anyone can check the status of a La CHP simply by visiting the State Police Website and entering the permit number.
    Check the "duty to inform" (to Law Enforcement) for the state you will be in. Some require, some don't.

Top Bottom