Dog Or Cat?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    Which should I keep and which should I move on elsewhere? Got the dog from the animal shelter about 3yrs ago. She has separation angzity issues when we leave our home and has wrecked 2 windows, an air conditioner, our refrigerator icemaker water tube, dumps her food bowl and water bowl on the floor in protest of being put on her chain. The cat I rescued from the local mom and pop store is not giving us any issues since I got her. The cat takes care of herself and does not need any additional attention. One of them has to go since the dog does not like the cat and the cat does not like the dog. The cat did slice the dog's ear through and through on the first day. Blood everywhere on the floor.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I am a Dog Person, not a Cat Person but you have more issues with your Dog.

iomg8

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 12, 2020
    lafayette, la
    seems like your dog still has nightmares from being abandoned. You would probably ruin her even more if you gave her up. Probably need to get some sort of trainer to help her overcome it.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    seems like your dog still has nightmares from being abandoned. You would probably ruin her even more if you gave her up. Probably need to get some sort of trainer to help her overcome it.

She was not abandoned. One of her owners died and the other owner could not take care of/manage her. She was taken to the animal shelter instead of putting her to sleep! Besides, your response is very like a response to be made by joe blow biden and adolf hitler! Did you take the vaccine? Do you wear the mask?

Last edited:

iomg8

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 12, 2020
    lafayette, la
    She was not abandoned. One of her owners died and the other owner could not take care of/manage her. She was taken to the animal shelter instead of putting her to sleep! Besides, your response is very like a response to be made by joe blow biden and adolf hitler! Did you take the vaccine? Do you wear the mask?

Owner died, other owner couldn't manage so went to the shelter. Yep abandoned, you didn't pick the dog up from their house. And how is saying what I have seen with several abandoned dogs? My friend fosters dogs that are abandoned or rescued, and he works months if not years to get them to a state they are comfortable to give to another family.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    separation anxiety is often caused by how you greet your dog when you return. Lots of excitement? I'm Home!!! only emphasizes that you were away. Come in calm and ignore the dog at first. Try leaving the tv/radio on (youtube has dog channels that play a single video for 8+ hours).

(what breed dog btw? Some are just more needy than others and being a rescue can just magnify that).

You really need to bring in a good dog trainer/ behaviorist. Call your local vet. I know a good one in New Orleans but not in your area... Also, some trainers are better with certain breeds.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Kennel the dog when you leave.

My Wife and I do that plus one of those YouTube dog channels(as suggested by LA Camper.)
    Our two rambunctious dogs get kenneled while we are away while the other three get to roam the house. It is amazing how the dog channels on YouTube keep them calm.
    Dogs are the most wonderful creatures ever created by God. Their love knows no limits. I can’t live without them at this point in life.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I am a dog person. What breed of dog? Sounds like a beagle, start with obedience training.

yup i got 2 beagles... they cannot and will not be left alone!!!! lol they can not mentally handle it!!!! lol, the main thing for my pups is they see me as the alpha but they see my kids as there pac.... and they cannot be away from there pac, if one of them leaves or somthing she goes crazy crying and staring out the window or door waiting on them to come back and join the crew lol

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    yup we kennel them up when we leave because we wanna come back to a house.. lol not a junk yard!!! I agree dogs are mans best friend, my dad who was burnt by a few women alwasy told me, if you came home everyday and treated a dog like crap every day it still will be happy and excited to see you!!!! They love with only one request.. love back, cats are nice but they dont "need humans" and they let you know that... LOL i guess i like to be "needed"

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    This is what a cute 10lb beagle can do in 30mins when left in the laundry room and not kenneled up to go grab some snowballs with the kids lol and still looking at the door waiting on the kids to come back in and join the pac

Attachments

• FAE3B104-815B-4AA4-A3A2-9D6F9CD90753.jpg
      FAE3B104-815B-4AA4-A3A2-9D6F9CD90753.jpg
      262.2 KB · Views: 48
    • 4C475BE1-1E5D-464C-8D59-0A9EA041B277.jpg
      4C475BE1-1E5D-464C-8D59-0A9EA041B277.jpg
      242.3 KB · Views: 57
    • 97CDCE95-4E21-4359-BD70-A5B8817BAE14.jpg
      97CDCE95-4E21-4359-BD70-A5B8817BAE14.jpg
      252.4 KB · Views: 47
    Last edited:

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    The dog we have is a 73lb mountain cur. We tried kenneling her in a steel wire kennel when we would leave. It was purchased from tractor supply but she tore that to pieces in a matter of a few times that she was kenneled. Now when we leave, we put her on a pinch/prong choke collar and a chain short enough to not let her get close to anything except her food and water bowl and fastened to a door knob. The time she is chained while we are at home is only about 3hrs so the cat can get some free time to roam at her leisure. At night the dog is free to roam the house. She is house trained and is taken out regularly and before bedtime to do her business and is good about doing that. But lately when I get up in the morning I have been finding that she has peed on the living room floor by the front door. This morning not only did I find that she had peed but also pooped on the living room floor.

Last edited:

bulldog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Ruston
    Tractor supply sells wire welded dog pens. You can add a top to prevent the dog from climbing out if you think she would. Place it on a concrete slab to keep her from digging out.
    They also make side panels and roof for shade. Retriever is the brand name. It's well built, and better than a chain link pen, which I've seem chewed up from a large dog.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/dog-kennels

This is what bought...I bought 2 extra wire panels to attach to top to make it escape proof
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...quality tubular steel with welded wire panels.

I do not know the shelter you got the dog from, but some shelters will put down the returned dogs, based on that they had their one chance, and they need the room for the ever growing abandoned dog population.
    Kill free shelters will not do this, but check first.

Found this...may be what you need, price is right.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/PawHut-3...=sem&msclkid=0c1fc04e96d61f3b96d0a15c316b93f0

Last edited:
    Top Bottom