Dogs in back of truck new law

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Recently a bill passed the house banning dogs in the bed of a truck when not in a crate. Supposedly it only applied to interstates.
    My questions though is it law now? And what are the details?

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    If it hasn't went through, it needs too, ASAP! And on all roads. Animals are property but this is just senseless accidents waiting to happen. Nothing should be put in a situation that could result in assured death, even accidentally. Crates might not keep them from being killed in an accident but 100% of the jumping out of beds would be avoided with properly secured crates.

I have two crates in the back of my yukon, bungee corded down six ways to Sunday.

/soapbox

Looks like it cleared the Senate panel earlier last week. House Bill 470 was approved without objection and moves on to full Senate.

$150 fine for the first dog $50 fine for each additional dog, "interstate highway".

My question, define interstate highway? Highway 167 goes up through Arkansas, but it's not called an "interstate". So do they mean interstates such as I-10 and I-49 or do they mean highways that crosses into different states?

Intrastate would be highways that stay within the state. So really, all major highways are interstate highways.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm against more government intervention, but... having dogs loose in the back of a truck is dangerous for the animal. They get eye injuries from flying debris (and all dogs like to look forward). If you get rear ended they get injured (and some auto insurance policies won't cover vet bills or the value of the dog if he or she gets killed). Think about what a rock does to your windshield and think about your dog's face.
    Yes, they enjoy it, but its not safe.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'm against more government intervention, but... having dogs loose in the back of a truck is dangerous for the animal. They get eye injuries from flying debris (and all dogs like to look forward). If you get rear ended they get injured (and some auto insurance policies won't cover vet bills or the value of the dog if he or she gets killed). Think about what a rock does to your windshield and think about your dog's face.
    Yes, they enjoy it, but its not safe.

I don't think it's government invasion when this is a situation that could affect the lives and safety of others. It is something that needed to be done a long, long time ago.

Think about the swerving from dog loving soccer mom would do, and the multi car pile up after her particularly awesome flying dog evasion techniques.

IOW: Don't let your dog swan dive into interstate traffic. It gets messy.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Enough Laws unless it a new law to prevent stupid laws:} Make sense?

I say the law or proposed or whatever law about dogs riding in the back of a truck is ********.

Using the logic of if struck, read ended, rocks flying make it hazardous for others then why don't we just make a law not allowing motorcycle riding, convertible automobiles, etc.
    WOULDN'T THAT...do the same potential harm to the general public?

"I don't think it's government invasion when this is a situation that could affect the lives and safety of others. It is something that needed to be done a long, long time ago.

Think about the swerving from dog loving soccer mom would do, and the multi car pile up after her particularly awesome flying dog evasion techniques." quote.

Come on folks think past your last nights dreams :}

We're still trying to get people to stop littering lol!

Must be nice to be paid to think up stupid crap to address:}

Trust me texting and driving and putting on makeup, eating, etc while driving cause many many more accidents, oh but we have laws against that I almost forgot lol How's that working...? Be real!

Freedom of choice...for DOGS too!

6mxbef3k6uogbei8fpzu.jpg

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Texting and driving is against the law in some states. Talking on the cell phone while driving is illegal in some states. Because our drivers are coast to coast, it has become mandatory that they use hands free devices.

I disagree with helmets on motorcycles. If you want to drive without one, that's on you. Same with seat belts IMO. (But I also recognize the un-insured getting injured aspect to these laws too)

But a dog jumping out of the vehicle, same as texting and driving, can affect others.

Putting on make-up and causing an accident, you're at fault.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    It needs to apply to the people with an animal running loose in the cab/car if anything.
    They are the ones who wont pay attention to their driving and reach for Precious and run into my family.

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    Nothing to really add to the topic at hand but to add more confusion, what about I-49? As of now it is an intrastate, interstate highway. :dunno:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I don't like it because my dog is trained. He's not going to jump out. Don't blame me because some other people put a puppy in the bed and take off.
    My dog rides in the back but I'm responsible about it. I went to great lengths to train him on it and I drive much slower and carefully when he's in the back.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    It needs to apply to the people with an animal running loose in the cab/car if anything.
    They are the ones who wont pay attention to their driving and reach for Precious and run into my family.

Amen!

As I said, I have two crates strapped down. They wouldn't budge in a hurricane. The worst we get going down the road is the occasional roll-over squeaky toy while they roll over mid-snore.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    The farmer next door has 5 or 6 full grown blue heelers that ride on his bed (flat) EVERYWHERE. I've never seen anything like it, But they are well trained.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    The farmer next door has 5 or 6 full grown blue heelers that ride on his bed (flat) EVERYWHERE. I've never seen anything like it, But they are well trained.

Common sight back home, especially in rural areas. Don't know if it's a trait the blue heelers have, or if they're just easily trained for it.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    1cjj31cggyvj236wchls.jpg

I don't really have a problem with it as long as it is on interstates. Sookie on the other hand was not aware that dogs actually rode in the back of trucks. She thinks it would be uncivilized. However, if they make a law that says she can't stick her head out the window, then she will be upset.

Top Bottom