Don't be a victim!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Just before noon this morning my doorbell rang. The gentleman at the door wanted to see the Sig I had for sale. I explained I had a 365XL for sale previously, but that was a year or so ago. Seems he responded to an add on Louisiana Sportsman, spoke, and texted to the "seller" who didn't have a Louisiana phone number. He refused to Zelle, Venmo to the "seller" and said that it would be FTF or not at all. The "seller" then gave him my address. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. A $300 Sig is too good to be true. This guy was smart enough not to be out any cash, but, he's still out half a day, and half a tank of gas as he drove to Laffy and back from Gonzales. Be aware, the scammers are out there!!!

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I run most phone numbers through a search before I deal with people, especially if their name becomes obvious (like if its in a user name or text message), and most of the time you can find their name or address and voter registration on public websites. It's pretty scary to see what is available online, especially if you'll pay money for info.

Sometimes I'll find engraved objects (like on auction websites) and I'll track down the engraved person (usually dead, so their children) to see if the items has any sentimental value to them or to alert them that it's for sale.

I've been slowly getting my own info wiped off the interwebz, can take a long time unless you have money or a lawyer that knows what they are doing. I have neither, so it's taking years.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Hmmmm, I wonder what the endgame is there? When the buyer didn't bite, seller could have just gone dark. Why send him to your house? And why not just to some random address? Why do the research to find you?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Hmmmm, I wonder what the endgame is there? When the buyer didn't bite, seller could have just gone dark. Why send him to your house? And why not just to some random address? Why do the research to find you?
    Sounds like maybe he didn’t want to be outed as a scammer and was trying to find a clever way to cover it up.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    The scammer tries to get you to drive for hours, then asks for a deposit via a cash app. He is counting on you feeling desperate after a long drive.
    If you call the sellers number and get Google voice mail or some other text mail number voice mail, then it's a scam. They will never talk on the phone.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The scammer tries to get you to drive for hours, then asks for a deposit via a cash app. He is counting on you feeling desperate after a long drive.
    If you call the sellers number and get Google voice mail or some other text mail number voice mail, then it's a scam. They will never talk on the phone.
    You are only addressing half of it. I get trying to make you desperate by driving a long way, but not to another guy's house. Maybe a Walmart parking lot then he calls/texts and asks for gas money to meet you, knowing you traveled for hours and want to move things along. The house part doesn't make sense. A real scammer gains nothing by doing that. Maybe a kid screwing around, (b/c I had a kid on LAS trying to jerk me around several years ago, but he was an obvious idiot) but not a "pro".

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Some scammers will give you an address that is far away in the hopes that you will suggest shipping. There was a scammer who gave me the address of a pawn shop in Many Louisiana. I called the shop and they said that they had nothing to do with any Louisiana Sportsman ads.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom