Dovetail Slot boogered up....questions on how to fix.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Okay, so I'm working on a Winchester Lever gun and on the bottom of the barrel there is a dovetail slot (I think its 3/8) that holds the magazine to the barrel with a magazine band. Its a little boogered up and wont really hold the magazine band in place though. It sits down on in the dovetail but the sides don't really hold it in place.

I can't add metal there so I have been trying to come up with a fix that will hold the magazine band in place that will in turn hold the magazine where it needs to be.

One thing I was thinking about is maybe some type of metal bonding agent type of thing.......along the lines of Jb Weld. (there may be something better to use) that I can fix to the band and then place in the dovetail that will hold it.

Do any of you have any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

Here are a couple of photos for a visual.

Dovetail slot where the barrel band goes

What it will look like in place.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    LOCTITE makes a metal filler/repair compound... you may be able to try that and sand it to your needs... I've used products like QUICKSTEEL and JBWeld in the past as well.

Another thing you could try is Gas Tank or Radiator Repair putty. You could apply very small amounts (very small) and then repeat the process over and over each time it dries until you get enough on the sand down to your desired needs.

The trick is to build up strength.

However, aside from filling the ENTIRE dovetail and then routing out another one... it will be difficult. Welding some metal onto it (Or spot welding the sides) and then sanding/filing it would be your best bet.

Either way you look at it, you're looking at a time consuming job.

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    LOCTITE makes a metal filler/repair compound... you may be able to try that and sand it to your needs... I've used products like QUICKSTEEL and JBWeld in the past as well.

Another thing you could try is Gas Tank or Radiator Repair putty. You could apply very small amounts (very small) and then repeat the process over and over each time it dries until you get enough on the sand down to your desired needs.

The trick is to build up strength.

However, aside from filling the ENTIRE dovetail and then routing out another one... it will be difficult. Welding some metal onto it (Or spot welding the sides) and then sanding/filing it would be your best bet.

Either way you look at it, you're looking at a time consuming job.

Thanks. I was not sure if any of those bonding agents would be strong enough to actually keep it there. There will not be a lot of movement there and it should be okay but was not sure which one would be the strongest.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Take a center punch and put a few dots on the bottom of the slot, then a few dots on the bottom of the band, the object is to raise metal to give an interference fit. If that does not get it tight enough , take a brass drift and peen the overhang on the barrel down some.
    I don't believe that jb weld is thin enough to get in that tight of a spot. I think acraglass or red loctite would be better.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Take a center punch and put a few dots on the bottom of the slot, then a few dots on the bottom of the band, the object is to raise metal to give an interference fit. If that does not get it tight enough , take a brass drift and peen the overhang on the barrel down some.
    I don't believe that jb weld is thin enough to get in that tight of a spot. I think acraglass or red loctite would be better.

Thanks. I'll see of that works.

emory

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    I would not modify the barrel. I would modify the band:

* Heat the magazine band with a propane torch to cherry red and let it cool slowly to soften the hardened steel.
    * Drill a 7/64 hole at the center of the flat face of the band dovetail and all the way through to the ring.
    * Tap the hole for 6-32.
    * Use a 6-32 flat point set screw to push against the barrel and secure the band.
    * Cut off the end of a 1/16" allen wrench so you can reach the set screw from inside the ring.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS

I'll second this but also keep in mind the ring is probably more of a "place holder" if you will, and chances are doesn't need to be very tight. The majority of the support to keep the magazine in place should come from the forearm and where it connects to the receiver.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Go to the Brownell"s website and ask this question. They should have the proper product and instructions.
    Sometimes peening displaced metal back into place and trueing up the slot with a proper dovetail file works.
    A modern Epoxy will probably hold it and if it doesn't it can be removed easily.
    I have seen a layer of silver solder placed in the bottom of the slot used , just be careful of heatihg up the barrel too much, silver solder is trickier to use than epoxy.
    I am sure Brownell's will have an answer.
    Update: just went to Brownells web site, clicked on learn, entered dovetail repair....they have 42 videos and 45 written articles on dovwtail repair, should find something there.
    Good luck, Gary

Top Bottom