DVD help from the masters

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Ok..I'm of the mind that a lot of people won't seek out facts ...but some will listen if you lay them at their feet

SO

I have been downloading stuff I think is improtant and distributing it

Problem
    Lots of times the video I download will play on computer but not on DVD player

I'm using discs marked DVD R

I use
    http://keepvid.com/?url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkYJDI8pK9Y&feature=player_embedded

to get the stuff from youtube but when I try to copy from hard drive to dvd it says unsupported

I'm very near lost here

Louisiana68

Conservative
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    N/A
    so maybe I need just dvd....not dvd r ??

That would be simple

It depends on the DVD player, as someone else stated. It is also recommended to use DVD /w 4.7 GB.

If it still doesn't work, it's because the DVD player does not accept that format of DISC.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    He wants to burn these all onto DVDs and view them in a DVD player connected to a TV.

What you could do, is go find yourself a video editor, something like Magic Video Converter. I've never done this, but you would have to convert each file to DVD format. Each file will generated with the folders Bosco mentioned. From there, if you want them all on 1 DVD, you will have to make sure they are all in the same video_ts folder, but in a numerical order.

Each file will be called something like XXXXXX.VOB. Just make sure that all the rest have sequential numbers in the name before the .VOB.

For instance. You have 5 clips of Joe's Dog. Files could be names like JoeDog.vob, JoeDog2.vob, JoeDog3.vob, etc.

Once you have them all converted and named, simply burn the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders to a DVD.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Lookin......thanks ya'll

just when ya think ya got this computer thing locked down ya realize ya need a 13 yo

LOL......whew ...NOT raized in the computer age but survivin in it

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Sounds to me like he is burning it as a data disc. Whatever program you are using to burn it (assuming you are using a dvd burner and dvd-r/w) make sure the option is selected to burn as a DVD.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I am able to burn AVI video files onto a DVD as data and it will play in my DVD player on my TV fine. Pressing the skip button will forward to the next AVI file in alpha order. I'm pretty sure that MPEGs will also work in data format.

So, Dawg, I guess it depends on what video format you are using. I think all you need to do is convert them to AVI or MPEG and you's be in good shape.

ChickenWhistle

Thingamajig
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I am able to burn AVI video files onto a DVD as data and it will play in my DVD player on my TV fine. Pressing the skip button will forward to the next AVI file in alpha order. I'm pretty sure that MPEGs will also work in data format.

So, Dawg, I guess it depends on what video format you are using. I think all you need to do is convert them to AVI or MPEG and you's be in good shape.

Not all DVD players can handle these file types. Yours does, as does mine. I specifically bought a player that could handle the DivX codec, so that when I torrent a video I wouldn't have to convert it before I played it.

OP: you'll have to use a program to author a DVD. Someone mentioned ConvertXtoDVD. There are others, but this one works pretty well. If you're on Windows, you can use Windows Movie Maker. After the DVD is authored, you'll need to burn the disc as a DVD. I use CDBurnerXP(it burns CDs and DVDs, and it's free). If you use CDBurnerXP, just go to File-->DVD video layout, and find the .vob file your converter created. Click Burn and ...voila.

If you feel like reading up on this: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/guides_by_category.cfm
    Scroll down to DVD authoring section.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    MOST DVD players are not able to do that

Some DVD players are

You have to make sure you buy a DVD player that has the ability to play those types of videos. Otherwise the DVD player won't have any idea what to do with the files and just ignore it as a bad disc.

It all depends on your DVD player.

This is true. Funny thing is in the past I've bought the cheapy DVD player for $50 from Wallyworld and had no problems playing those AVI files... but an expensive Sony would give the bad disk error. Same thing with DVDs ripped using DVDShrink and burned in DVD format.

The best solution to all of this is to build a HTPC (home theater personal computer). Whenever I want to watch movies I just flip the input from HDMI1 to HDMI2 and use a wireless keyboard to browse through all my movies I've downloaded.

+1000 That's what I did, but I spent around $400 building mine and went with the VGA input on the back of the TV, since my comp doesn't have HDMI. You could do the same with a laptop if it has the correct video outputs, or the TV has a VGA input. The catch is that you also have to plug in the audio wire if you go this route. But, with wireless keyboard and mouse, the setup is working great for me!

I use the PC in the living room to stream Netflix and IceFilms, browse the web, watch downloaded movies, listen to iTunes, browse my photos, play online PC games, etc. This PC is dedicated for the living room, tho... so the kids can still play on the office PC. Also have another PC in the bedroom with the same setup. All of my downloaded movies, music, and other files are located on a network shared external HD so I can get to them from any comp in the house. You also don't need a separate DVD player with a PC hooked to your TV.

Top Bottom