DWI checkpoints

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    AFAIK a U turn isn't illegal unless there is a sign saying it is.

Depends on how and where you conduct it. There is forethought (sometimes) into where these things are set up with consideration given to things like that.

Reality is that while checkpoints are no doubt inconvenient, most people understand they are a necessary tool for an ever increasing problem, so they deal with it as such.

I have never seen anyone turn around at a check point who was not drunk, wanted, or had some serious issues that needed police attention anyway.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Unless any of you dissenters are going to change the law, or the current system, deal with it! Do any of you really think these politicians give a rat's ass about the inconvenience factor, or the rights vs privilige factor?

Here's a news flash: They don't!

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    They just like arguing.

The best part is they ask questions they either already know the answer to or know that there us no finite asset and then argue as it the facts are not the facts and they have some unique insight.

That if course is with no formal education, professional experience, or professional research beyond wiki or google. But hey, they are the smart one among their group of friends so they must know what they are talking About right?

Having an opinion on an issue is one thing. Arguing points if fact or basing your opinion on your own deductions with nothing valid to base them on is another.

Half of these idiots make about as much since as me talking about being a midwife on a space shuttle.

Everyone has a lane. If people stayed on it, we would all become communally more intelligent. However, with the mixing of the intellectual gene pools that goes on in these legal threads, it is no wonder we run each other over.

think of it Line driving. If you are no more than a casual observer on a particular subject, then stfu and if you have something of value to add, politely put on your blinker, merge, pass, and then stfu and get out the left Kane as those with actual knowledge on the topic occupy the carpool lane.

If you have a question, put on your blinker and ask. As long as you are not some asshat who does not use his blinker or cuts people off (speaks outside his knowledge or skill set) there are generally plenty of people who will slow down and let you in. He'll, some of us will give you a ride.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    They just like arguing.

I look at these threads and am completely bewildered how this many people can have so much free time on their hands, unless a retiree, a stay at home mom/dad, the boss at work, a kid in school, etc, etc, etc,?

Since I have joined I have visited a few times a day, but have to eventually do some work, or go home and spend some time with my wife and kids!?! Eventually.

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    I look at these threads and am completely bewildered how this many people can have so much free time on their hands, unless a retiree, a stay at home mom/dad, the boss at work, a kid in school, etc, etc, etc,?

Since I have joined I have visited a few times a day, but have to eventually do some work, or go home and spend some time with my wife and kids!?! Eventually.

....sez he with 120 posts in three weeks.

I work at my desk and BS is always an open tab.
    I go home to the wife at the end of the day.
    I like to kick a hornets nest ever now and then. :D

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

You owe it to yourself to come clean.

Denial-the-first-step-to-healing-is-admitting-you-have-a-problrm.jpg

Problrm. Problem, maybe? It's all the same. :D

Last edited:

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    That s not what I am saying and you know it. You just lack the intelligence to articulate a valid counter argument and instead choose to play with semantics.

Rarely will you and I ever agree btw.

No, that's exactly what you said and I truly couldn't agree more! We obviously DO agree that enforcement of the current laws on the books would make the most effective and efficient impact on DUIs. Your statement implies that DUI checkpoints don't measure up.

Knocking my intelligence, now? :squint: Isn't that a failure on your part to articulate a valid counter statement when you have to resort to petty name calling? No matter, it seems to be your standard operating procedure. Play nice and quit being such a bully. :rolleyes:

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA

I work with a CAD program for 60%-80% of the day - you just can't do it for more than a couple hrs straight, so I've usually got BS in a window behind CAD. The greyish background of BS is much needed eye-relief from the black CAD screen.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm going to come clean!

In the short time I have checked this forum out I found alot of useful information, hilarious witicisms, and intense debate. It is addicitve. I have also seen how some of you get crucified for saying the wrong thing.

So before I become the lamb for slaughter, I am no way going to degrade how the members use this forum. But you have to admit, when you look at the times and durations of some of these posts, you got to wonder? From my perspective; If you are at work working for someone like me; you need to be working. I pay my employees to do ALL of the work that I did to get where I am today. The owner of my company.

That is not to say the vast majority of these visitors can't or don't have the luxury or occasion to spend alot of time here. That's great if you do. It was just an observation as a business owner.

I notice alot of folks throw around statistcs here to make points. Look at the statistics on wasted time at businesses because employees are on the internet. It is staggering. And maybe your business isn't as fast paced as some. I get that too.

Let me reiterate; I am not down on any one here or the time they spend here, just was sitting and wondering; how many of my employees would be on the net if I allowed them access?

My 2 cents.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'm going to come clean!

In the short time I have checked this forum out I found alot of useful information, hilarious witicisms, and intense debate. It is addicitve. I have also seen how some of you get crucified for saying the wrong thing.

So before I become the lamb for slaughter, I am no way going to degrade how the members use this forum. But you have to admit, when you look at the times and durations of some of these posts, you got to wonder? From my perspective; If you are at work working for someone like me; you need to be working. I pay my employees to do ALL of the work that I did to get where I am today. The owner of my company.

That is not to say the vast majority of these visitors can't or don't have the luxury or occasion to spend alot of time here. That's great if you do. It was just an observation as a business owner.

I notice alot of folks throw around statistcs here to make points. Look at the statistics on wasted time at businesses because employees are on the internet. It is staggering. And maybe your business isn't as fast paced as some. I get that too.

Let me reiterate; I am not down on any one here or the time they spend here, just was sitting and wondering; how many of my employees would be on the net if I allowed them access?

My 2 cents.

Be right back- let me clear this 727 for landing real quick....... (J/K) :dogkeke:

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I'm going to come clean!

My 2 cents.

You're right! Guilty as charged here! :hs:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    No, that's exactly what you said and I truly couldn't agree more! We obviously DO agree that enforcement of the current laws on the books would make the most effective and efficient impact on DUIs. Your statement implies that DUI checkpoints don't measure up.

Knocking my intelligence, now? :squint: Isn't that a failure on your part to articulate a valid counter statement when you have to resort to petty name calling? No matter, it seems to be your standard operating procedure. Play nice and quit being such a bully. :rolleyes:

I can't believe I am taking the time to explain this to you, but...

Yes, I should have done a better job of articulating my point more clearly. I accept full responsibility for thinking you had the base level intelligence to not have to have things spelled out for you. But since you are another one who will exploit any grammatical or contextual error in light of your lack of facts, open wide for the silver spoon. :rolleyes:

The tactic of checkpoints effectiveness as a specific argument is that they are effective to most end goals. We know this through basic deduction. While every single person that is arrested for DUI would not have necessarily been involved in an accident, it takes simple statistics and deductive reasoning to know that at least a statistical propportion of them would have. Since we do not know which ones specifically, our goal is to remove the total population through enforcement in an attempt to eliminate or reduce those who are available to be calculated into the sub population of "accidents." Keeping in mind, the overall goal is to AVOID and PREVENT the accident, pre-accident intervention is necessary based on the indicators of accident potentiality--drunk driving. Hence the reason we arrest for drunk driving even though an injury has not technically been acted onto another. Society has decided that the "placement of endangerment" that you do when you choose to drink and drive is enough of n injury to invoke the criminal justoce system.

You can blame it on MADD if it fits your anti-whatever conspiracy, but at the end of the day, drunk drivers kill people who were minding their own business. I think t is socially responsible for society to take preemptive action in these kinds of cases. I also have no problem with them arresting people who shooting discriminately into the air. I think the mere act of placing people in potential danger of receiving injury to person or property is enough for legal action. Same as assult. Point is, the fact hat he "could have maybe driven home without killing or maiming anyone should not make it a free pass in the case of DUI.

Now obviously, we cannot catch them all, so elimination is out of the question. Now the argument becomes are the resources used (cost) worth the potential and actual lives saved (benefits). WHile there are real costs of dollars, there are also the abstarct costs of "restricted freedom".

In my opinon, those are two seperate questions that need to independently be answered. Most would argue that the money spent on DUI enforcement is not worth the benefits because too many people still die from DUI, so "obviously" they are not working. Well, that is a pretty uneducated statement tomake.

First, we already accept that it is not a zero sum game. We will never cath them all. Secondly, if our goal is to reduce injury and death due to accidents, and we cannot know who, when, and where they will occur, then getting as many potential actors in that event are positive moves towards those goals. Most noteably, whenit is your poved one injured or killed, suddenly price is not an option.

Secondly, to freedom. Wether you like it or not, agree with it or not, or whatever, the FACT is, in our current legal enviroment, driving on public roadways in a vehicle is legally considered a privelage and not a right. Done. You cannot compare it to 2A, to 4th ammendment, or to anything else that is based on rights. Sorry, it does not work that way.

Personally, I know from the last 15 years of law enforcment experience, 7 of which were specifically in traffic, and 9 years of formal education in Criminal Justice, I know that checkpoints have a direct positive affect on saving lives as well as secodnary criminal justice applications like drugs, clearing warrants, and others.

Are they 100% effective? of course not, nothing is. As with any desired result, you typically use multiple techniques and toold. Checkpoints is just one tool.

SHould we be doing other things differently tomake checkpoints and other enforcement tools more effective? ABSOLUTELY

Is the revolving door of the court system the SINGLE MOST DESTRIUCTIVE aspect of the US criminal justice system? ABSOLUTELY. It undermines the system, places criminalss on the street, and creates a sub-culture of dependency.

Can I prove checkppints save lives? No. Can you prove it does not save any lives? No you cannot. I also cannot prove the sun will rise tomorrow, another hurricane will hit Louisiana within the next year, someone will get arrested for DUI tonight in New Orleans, or a lot of things, but experience and common sense lets me know they are true. Formal education allows me to project a little further than that based on knowledge about statistics and fist hand subjective analysis.

Call me a bully. :rolleyes:Your post demonstarted your lack of intelligence in that instance. Though the fact that you call me a name while admonishing me for doing the same further shows your lack of awareness or character. I have not figured out which yet.

Don't make dumbass posts with dumbass information and I promise not to call you a dumbass. It really is not rocket surgery.;)

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I do not go out and drink. I do not like sports.

This is my entertainment and has professional value for me to varying degrees based on my business. That said, I also have an Iphone and Ipad, so yeah, I am probably on here more than I need to be.

Like I said previously, the fact that I know most of these guys and who they are when not behind the screen in their skid marked skivvies, I think it am into it more than most. I am not on other boards as much as this one, and those actually more directly relate to my business. Hell, I am not even on my own board. LOL

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    I luckily work for a company that is extremely gun-friendly, lets us carry at work (CCW)... as a matter of fact I just got back from FITS shooting range with my boss, because we took a long lunch to try out his new pistol.

It's his company, it's successful, and he sees fit to run it and not sit here and watch over everyone's shoulder...as long as we get our work done, he could care less if we post on a forum...if I had to sit here at my desk for 8 hours a day and stare at PCB schematics and assembly code without some sort of small break, I'd go nuts.

Aaron

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I can't believe I am taking the time to explain this to you, but...

Yes, I should have done a better job of articulating my point more clearly. I accept full responsibility for thinking you had the base level intelligence to not have to have things spelled out for you. But since you are another one who will exploit any grammatical or contextual error in light of your lack of facts, open wide for the silver spoon. :rolleyes:

The tactic of checkpoints effectiveness as a specific argument is that they are effective to most end goals. We know this through basic deduction. While every single person that is arrested for DUI would not have necessarily been involved in an accident, it takes simple statistics and deductive reasoning to know that at least a statistical propportion of them would have. Since we do not know which ones specifically, our goal is to remove the total population through enforcement in an attempt to eliminate or reduce those who are available to be calculated into the sub population of "accidents." Keeping in mind, the overall goal is to AVOID and PREVENT the accident, pre-accident intervention is necessary based on the indicators of accident potentiality--drunk driving. Hence the reason we arrest for drunk driving even though an injury has not technically been acted onto another. Society has decided that the "placement of endangerment" that you do when you choose to drink and drive is enough of n injury to invoke the criminal justoce system.

You can blame it on MADD if it fits your anti-whatever conspiracy, but at the end of the day, drunk drivers kill people who were minding their own business. I think t is socially responsible for society to take preemptive action in these kinds of cases. I also have no problem with them arresting people who shooting discriminately into the air. I think the mere act of placing people in potential danger of receiving injury to person or property is enough for legal action. Same as assult. Point is, the fact hat he "could have maybe driven home without killing or maiming anyone should not make it a free pass in the case of DUI.

Now obviously, we cannot catch them all, so elimination is out of the question. Now the argument becomes are the resources used (cost) worth the potential and actual lives saved (benefits). WHile there are real costs of dollars, there are also the abstarct costs of "restricted freedom".

In my opinon, those are two seperate questions that need to independently be answered. Most would argue that the money spent on DUI enforcement is not worth the benefits because too many people still die from DUI, so "obviously" they are not working. Well, that is a pretty uneducated statement tomake.

First, we already accept that it is not a zero sum game. We will never cath them all. Secondly, if our goal is to reduce injury and death due to accidents, and we cannot know who, when, and where they will occur, then getting as many potential actors in that event are positive moves towards those goals. Most noteably, whenit is your poved one injured or killed, suddenly price is not an option.

Secondly, to freedom. Wether you like it or not, agree with it or not, or whatever, the FACT is, in our current legal enviroment, driving on public roadways in a vehicle is legally considered a privelage and not a right. Done. You cannot compare it to 2A, to 4th ammendment, or to anything else that is based on rights. Sorry, it does not work that way.

Personally, I know from the last 15 years of law enforcment experience, 7 of which were specifically in traffic, and 9 years of formal education in Criminal Justice, I know that checkpoints have a direct positive affect on saving lives as well as secodnary criminal justice applications like drugs, clearing warrants, and others.

Are they 100% effective? of course not, nothing is. As with any desired result, you typically use multiple techniques and toold. Checkpoints is just one tool.

SHould we be doing other things differently tomake checkpoints and other enforcement tools more effective? ABSOLUTELY

Is the revolving door of the court system the SINGLE MOST DESTRIUCTIVE aspect of the US criminal justice system? ABSOLUTELY. It undermines the system, places criminalss on the street, and creates a sub-culture of dependency.

Can I prove checkppints save lives? No. Can you prove it does not save any lives? No you cannot. I also cannot prove the sun will rise tomorrow, another hurricane will hit Louisiana within the next year, someone will get arrested for DUI tonight in New Orleans, or a lot of things, but experience and common sense lets me know they are true. Formal education allows me to project a little further than that based on knowledge about statistics and fist hand subjective analysis.

Call me a bully. :rolleyes:Your post demonstarted your lack of intelligence in that instance. Though the fact that you call me a name while admonishing me for doing the same further shows your lack of awareness or character. I have not figured out which yet.

Don't make dumbass posts with dumbass information and I promise not to call you a dumbass. It really is not rocket surgery.;)

In regards to your 14th paragraph; "Bully" isn't a bad name that you call someone, it is a description of the type of behavior one exhibits. As for the rest... you're so predictable! :rofl:

As far as my opinion on checkpoints is concerned, I agree with aard3's second point in post #214. Fact is we have already established that you and I are on common ground when it comes to enforcement... so, it may just be possible, if our legal system did its job and didn't turn so many repeat offenders loose, that we wouldn't have such a need for DUI (and whatever other revenue they can generate while they have you on the side of the road) checkpoints.

For the record, I did not dispense any dumbass "information."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom