Ebola Virus Disease [EVD]

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ijaw

Unknown Camper
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Bayou Tigre, LA
    Jus' ranting ... EVD has now stepped foot in Lagos, Nigeria and has become a serious current event.

Lets see, not only do I have to manage 1000 employees Health and Safety in our work environment against Accidents, Incidents, Near Misses, Hazards, Un-safe Behavior, Yellow Fever, AIDS, Malaria, Lassa Fever, Boko Haram and now they drop Ebola Virus on my plate. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:

rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    For thousands of years the disease has had the ability to come from no where and ravage populations. These are always very spooky to me. Especially when I read that they're flying one of them to Atlanta. Who did the ORM sheet on that?

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Good luck with all that, so glad I didn't take the job in Nigeria. The money was very tempting, but safety was the issue for people turning down the offers.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I read the mortality rate for this strain is just 50-60%. Opposed to the previous strain which was 90%. Let's hope it doesn't go pandemic.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Ban monkey humping and all is good

Close, one of the ways it's transmitted is by eating monkey meat (yuk!).

And yes, the first patients are being treated at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta - as I understand it, they have an outstanding staging area for isolation and treatment of communicable disease. Brings new meaning to "heroic efforts" of treatment! They've got bigger, brassier ones than I have.

Marc Price

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    y3yhyjez.jpg

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    What I find ironic is that every year the Feds spend millions of dollars on outreach to tell everyone and their grandmother how bad the upcoming flu season is going to be and everyone needs to be vaccinated and it's the worst thing since Hitler, but for some reason they thought it was perfectly ok to bring two people who are infected with the Ebola virus to the US mainland. I'm no epidemiologist and I know the common flu can be spread through a variety of ways including air borne transmission and allegedly Ebola takes direct contact with bodily fluids or other direct means but If I was in charge I would have never brought them here. I would have flown equipment and medicine to them. Does anyone else find this to be a little crazy? Supposedly the infected people were in protective suits while treating people so how did they contract the disease? Seriously, if anyone has insight on this id like to know.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    One report said that temps in that region are upwards of 100°. Said apparently they weren't as cautious about keeping the suits sealed as they would be otherwise. An aid or some such other personnel had contact with a patient and passed it on to the doctor after he was out of the quarantine and unzipped. So, even trained, experienced people screw up protocols. I am an adherent of Murphy's Law. Say what you will, bringing them here is messed up on many levels.

But what the hell, thousands are swimming the Rio Grande carrying Tuberculosis, Hanta Virus and Lord knows what else.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Diseases mutate... maybe the next (or latest) mutation will be airborne?

I also heard a report that at least a small percentage of the illegals coming from across the border being detained are coming from countries that have outbreaks. So, 2% of what, 500,000 immigrants per year are potentially carrying ebola (not to mention variations of staph, etc. that we are not resistant to...). That's only a fraction of a percent chance but still if ebola gets a foothold in the US, with a 50% mortality rate, that's not something we even want to envision. It'll make the Spanish Flu seem like a picnic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom