Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    After hearing about it for years I decided to mix some up and give it a try. Had an old turret press and a crusty lube sizer that needed a lot of cleaning and would require a lot of expensive store bought "cleaner".
    Ed's Red being a mixture of equal parts of the following , with prices I paid at WalMart, to make a gallon. 1 quart of each item:

Dexron III ATF...........................................................$2.84
    kerosene (hurricane lamp oil is refined odorless kerosene)...$3.78
    Mineral Spirits (odorless)..............................................$4.47
    Acetone....................................................................$4.87

TOTAL.......................................................................$15.96

This makes one gallon of a very effective bore cleaner and can be used for cleaning just about anything firearm related . The lube sizer had lots of old grease and ER cleaned it all away .
    If you are tired of buying expensive cleaners...try it.
    Tip, smell the kerosene and mineral spirits before buying, some smell to high heaven and some have very little odor...get the one that smells best.
    Gary

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Thanks for posting. I never tried it as always use Hoppies #9 but think i may make some up as My Garage has everything listed is it 1/4 of each equally?
    If so can/ will make a small amount up and try it

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Thanks for posting. I never tried it as always use Hoppies #9 but think i may make some up as My Garage has everything listed is it 1/4 of each equally?
    If so can/ will make a small amount up and try it

It's "Equal Parts " of each ingredient. 1/4 cup of all 4 will make 1-cup. 1/2 cup of all 4 will make 2-cups, 1 cup of all 4 will make 4-cups.
    I made a test batch using a empty 6 oz tomato paste can as a measure , it made 24 ozs and I poured it in an empty metal quart can with a screw top.
    After mixing , put some in an empty Windex spray bottle. The acetone will not distort the Windex bottle plastic (some other plastics will distort) and spraying it on is easy way to apply it .
    Do a search on Ed's Red Bore Cleaner Recipe for more complete instructions.
    Gary

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I use Ed's Red gun lube. 50-50 of Mobile One and Dextron.
    I normally use Hoppies #9 to clean up, after shooting traditional lubed lead bullets. And CLP after that, but would like to try they Ben's Red as cleaner. And see how it compares.
    Being a car guy I have all this stuff. What grade of oil do you use? I can buy just a quart. But what Grade? I assume 0w-30? 5w-30? Various grades of regular Dino oil only type of Synthetic I have is Royal Purple, but is 10-40 & 20-50

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I normally use Hoppies #9 to clean up, after shooting traditional lubed lead bullets. And CLP after that, but would like to try they Ben's Red as cleaner. And see how it compares.
    Being a car guy I have all this stuff. What grade of oil do you use? I can buy just a quart. But what Grade? I assume 0w-30? 5w-30? Various grades of regular Dino oil only type of Synthetic I have is Royal Purple, but is 10-40 & 20-50

Ed's Red compatible gun oil is equal parts ATF - Dexron III (or later) and kerosene.
    In the Ed Harris article I see no recipe for ATF and Mobile 1 . This would be a good lube and on the heavier than the ATF and kerosene lube , sometimes a heavier lube is desired.
    The ATF - kerosene has a viscosity about the same as Rem-Oil.
    I have found Ed's Red bore cleaner ($16.00 a gallon)to be just as effective as Hoppe's #9 which sell for $55.00 a gallon plus postage from Midway....but it doesn't have that H#9 fragrance !
    Gary

Last edited:
    Top Bottom