Electricity after an EMP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    A massive electromagnetic event striking Earth from space (as in coming from above the Earth, not on its surface), the origin of the event was not an important topic it could be a man made device or a natural event. The ''event'' as I will call it would knock out electrical grids and electronic devices the world over (that are not protected)!

The major question, what is a reliable sustainable energy source in the event of such a catastrophe. We thought we had solved our problems when we came to the idea of solar energy (granted, it would not provide the same power used today, but enough to have light and keep any important equipment on) then we realized... the solar panel system most likely wouldn't survive the actual event. We also tossed around the idea of gas powered generators, then realized that the gas will run out quite quickly if their is a panic, the public response is a variable that will be somewhat difficult to predict. So I ask you, what are your ideas?

p.s. I realize I stated this event would knock out electrical devices the world over so ''why do you need electricity to power nothing''. The reason being small devices can be repaired much faster than a nationwide power grid, and some devices would survive if they were protected (purposely or just by chance alone).

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    In the unlikely event of an EMP used in such a manor that a regional or national grid is effected we are in trouble..

The Transformers are usually made over seas and we only keep a few on hand for general repair, the switching stations I cant speak to but I can guess they have gone solid state and have some trouble from EMP..

I think it would be the 1900's real fast.. like 1901..

that directly affects my situation and the wife has sleep apnea, and is on an insulin pump.. our best hope is 90 days.. then I am on my own.. with the dog.. (90 days of meds)

I think there are a lot of people that would perish in a short period..

trash would build up, people start killing for food after 7 days, sometimes sooner...

barter systems would be established but regionally , some areas would fair better than others..

I dont think that there would be much chance for an alternative power, and there wouldnt be anything made domestically to use it anyway.. Name ONE electronic we have made in the US?

life would be slower, harder, dirtier, and the lazy and in-firmed would not make it..

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There's a downloadable novel about just such a thing. Look in the survival section and you'll find the title (sorry brain is fried right now).

Think 1960's vehicles. Start farming your lawn.
    Devices inside a metal cabinet might survive. I don't know what good they would do you though. THink about your iphone. With no network. Pretty dull.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    The Transformers are usually made over seas and we only keep a few on hand for general repair, the switching stations I cant speak to but I can guess they have gone solid state and have some trouble from EMP..

I dont think that there would be much chance for an alternative power, and there wouldnt be anything made domestically to use it anyway.. Name ONE electronic we have made in the US?
    There are plenty of transformers manufactured here in the U.S.
    And , what type of electronic devices are you referring to ?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If you're talking about consumer electronics . then I agree that nearly all is made overseas . However , a lot of the electronics used in the electric utility business is still made here .

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    If you're talking about consumer electronics . then I agree that nearly all is made overseas . However , a lot of the electronics used in the electric utility business is still made here .

That I dont know much about, what I was talking about was consumer grade run of the mill ...

I am somewhat surprised that utility electronics that are used are made here? How is that possible? I dont doubt you but really?

in my communications background , nothing is made here.. and has not been since 70's.. maybe assembled but I doubt it..

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    WOW......

Didn't even know BS had a survival forum...

No power grid ...I have looked into one of those solar blankets I could just unroll onto the house to charge a couple trolling motor batts just to run a light or two and charge what ever cell phones or radios were left
    I think batteries and blanket were around 700.00

Farming your lawn...I plan to start that, should have already, the whold world around me out here can grow anything and do , seems like year round

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I am somewhat surprised that utility electronics that are used are made here? How is that possible? I dont doubt you but really?

in my communications background , nothing is made here.. and has not been since 70's.. maybe assembled but I doubt it..

A lot of the stuff is assembled here . As far as the individual components go , no doubt a lot of it is foreign manufactured , but we were talking about transformers which ARE still built here .

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    In answering the OP, I'm certainly no expert, but my guess would be that hydro-electric is sustainable and would not be affected by EMP. Since that is basically a mechanical process, it should be good to go. Right?

That does not address this issue of the functionality ofwhatever equipment is to be powered.

simplyorange

None Other Than.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Dutchtown
    fire for cooking, work in daylight, rest in darkness.the less you think about the old luxuries, the better off you will be.you dont need electricity, you need fire,water,food,shelter, and means to protect all of it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom