Electricity after an EMP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    In answering the OP, I'm certainly no expert, but my guess would be that hydro-electric is sustainable and would not be affected by EMP. Since that is basically a mechanical process, it should be good to go. Right?
    It's way more complicated than that . The electrical grid will not function without electronic devices . Protective relaying , generator controls , you name it , all rely on electronics these days .

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    generator powered by wood gas. that would be me immediate reation (if just sucking it up and living 1890's style was out of the question). you bigger problem would be medical needs for people. people can improvise and survive without electricity.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    There has been too much violence. Too much pain. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your pump, the oil, the gasoline, and the whole compound, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the wastelands. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

humungus_speech.jpg

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    generator powered by wood gas. that would be me immediate reation (if just sucking it up and living 1890's style was out of the question). you bigger problem would be medical needs for people. people can improvise and survive without electricity.
    You would be surprised how many couldn't . Not for any extended length of time . And , as you mentioned , medical issues would compound the problems . Average life expectancy would drop like a rock .

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm thinking Gilligan's Island. Get a generator and hook it up to a bicycle.

Seriously though, my understanding is that an EMP only kills stuff that is running at the time. A lot of things would survive it. Portable generators for example.

Either way, it would be time to return to a simpler life. Candles and kerosene for light, if you cared. Batteries and LEDs would last a long time as well.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    There has been too much violence. Too much pain. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your pump, the oil, the gasoline, and the whole compound, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the wastelands. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

humungus_speech.jpg

Kiss my hillbilly ass

EeeeeeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    It's way more complicated than that . The electrical grid will not function without electronic devices . Protective relaying , generator controls , you name it , all rely on electronics these days .

I may have misunderstood the OP's question. I thought he was asking about standalone electrical generation. Off grid.

I was referring to micro hydro or even along the lines of old mill ponds. Again, isn't that a simple mechanical process of a turbine spinning a generator. No electronics.

idunno

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    fire for cooking, work in daylight, rest in darkness.the less you think about the old luxuries, the better off you will be.you dont need electricity, you need fire,water,food,shelter, and means to protect all of it.

+1
    Many things will change. People who need medical devices for survival may not make it very long. Those who don't need them can do without. It won't be easy, but it is definitely doable.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    +1
    Many things will change. People who need medical devices for survival may not make it very long. Those who don't need them can do without. It won't be easy, but it is definitely doable.

Likely to very likely that many medical problems would vanish w/o the stress of this daily life , along with the inability to get food thru the window of your car...who knows how that will effect health...

Simple diet, lots less grease, lower salt...and the really scary thought of eat less move more......:D

simplyorange

None Other Than.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Dutchtown
    im not concerned with medical so much as i havent meen to a doctor for a reason in probably 10 years other than checkups to skip work, plus my other half happens to be an er/cardiac nurse... she knows a good bit.i think in louisiana most of us are brought up hunters so i would say half of the population in our area would be ok natrally surviving, the "saggy pants" crowd wouldnt fair so well considering they hold thier gun sideways so thats why you need means to protect your survival assets.

i think it wouldnt take long for us to get fuel back, we just may have to put the old antique pumps back into use.then you can use any carb vehicle with a points distributer to power a genererator. i dont think we would see the 1800s again but i do think we would see the 50s-60s again with the exception of rediculous gas prices and noone having jobs.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I am more inclined to think that there would be serious unrest, people shot for looting, stealing, and in a week or two, anyone cooking and creating smoke would draw a crowd.

There thousands here in La that could not survive.. it takes a person who can adapt to change and there are many, many platinum spoon people here. I would say that half of LSU would vapor lock and die..

Only those who can close up and DO what needs to be done and look out for number 1 will make it. There are a lot of liberals here who would give their last shirt off their back to cover a stranger only to suffer when they need something.

I cant tell you how many times I am sitting at a light and I see the same bum getting money day after day.. like a damn strays feed them and they will stay.. hell the one bum on college , she was pregnant and was raking it in.. I dont know who looked worse, her or the idiots who gave her money..

You have to be ready for when **** happens, you cant just step up when it does, or you will get caught..

/end rant

simplyorange

None Other Than.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Dutchtown
    You have to be ready for when **** happens, you cant just step up when it does, or you will get caught..

/end rant

i agree, i have a hard time convincing my woman of this, she does not understand why i want an AR-15 and several cases of ammo, and several handguns,she says i will never use them,but if i do need them i want to have them. and if i never need them, maybe my sons will.

one thing everyone needs to consider is this....what nation is the only one who has not had a war on its soil....yet...

any smart war organizer will invade after a emp before they get invaded.

Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Here are people that think like me...yep, we are trying to be ready, probably on a 1 - 10 scale we are 7 , but to me, in my mind..we are a 4...there is so much to consider

Ms Dawg is disabled and needs meds monthly...how will that happen ?? Idunno

Can we run if so ordered ?? No

Can we protect what we have if neccessary ?? I dunno...when I look in the safe I think, oh yea we can...but looking out side at all the possible approaches and angles...the fact that I do sleep at night...

Need some more passive IR motion detectors

Dawgs...down from 4 to 1 this year, it's been a bad year on mutts here..then ya gotta think how ya gonna feed em if SHTF. can't just let them roam, they'll be in the neighbors ****...

This is a long process, daily thinking required...preperation for something I PRAY never happens

Thanks to everyone for this input...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom