EOTech, ACOG, Aimpoint, or Iron Sights?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    So I'm at the last stage of my submachine gun sized AR build and going back and forth over what kind of optic to get or if to get one at all.

Here's the deal. I'm trying to build the ultimate close quarters paper assassin. I'm not really interested in 100yd+ shots. I just want to hit from 0-50yds fast with minimal bulk and weight.

Here's the question. What do the red dot sights give me that I can't get with just iron sights?

Right now, I just have Trijicon tritium iron sights and just about convinced to stick with those only.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    with a red dot, there is only one thing to place on the target. the dot seems to move inside the tube if you move your head while holding the rifle on target, and doesnt need a perfect cheek weld.
    With Irons, you have to align both front and rear sight on the target. I like the Trijicon Reflex due to no batteries to run down, and self adjusts to bright/low light.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    How about a mini dot or dr optics?

I'm trying to build a 20" light weight. I put on a clark carbon fiber handguard, but I haven't decided where to go from there. I hate to put on a pound of optics on a gun I'm trying to keep the weight down on.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Not bad but a little pricey...

Edit: Never mind. I just checked the price on the Dr. Optic. I had no idea those things were that much. I was thinking $300...

Last edited:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    If it is not meant to be an ultralight, EOTech for rapid acquisition.

If it is an UL, go with this:

MS04.jpg
    Holographic RedDot weapon sightTrijicon MS04 Link
    $325.00

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    my tri power is set up nice, if you wanna look at the glass pm me your number or come visit me in denham this week (nights) if you want.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Has anyone tried the C-more? I looked at one today at 10-8... Its a good bit less expensive that the aimpoint, etc but with a bigger window than the Dr Optics sized...

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I've looked through a C-more, if I'm remembering the right optic it was a little dim for bright sunlight.

in the optics defense, the guy said his son used it for a tour or two in iraq, so it had a few miles on it when I looked at it. He was still using it for duty tho.

Last edited:

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    C-Mores pretty much rule the roost on IPSC open handguns, so bright sunlight shouldn't be a problem with them.

I use a 1X3 Weaver (about a $140 they are a bargin) on an AR I use for 3 gun type matches. With a true 1x magnification you can still hose close targets with both eyes open as fast as a dot rig and still have magnification for longer distances. I just wish it was 30mm tube.

Gonna try the new Burris XTR when funds allow.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I had a Konus 1.5-5x on my AR but I'm not happy. The eye relief and alignment on that scope isn't very forgiving. On a target rifle its no big deal but I want to use it for 3 gun type shooting. I won't have time to mess with a scope. I like the Reflex but I don't know that I want to spend that much. The C-more is less expensive but I haven't found any solid reviews of it. Anybody have one? The other window sights (dr optic etc) window's are too small. I'm trying to keep the gun somewhat compact, so I'm staying away from the larger tube sights.

Top Bottom