External Hardrive..For NEW MACBOOK PRO!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    1. Spanky...might I recommend a Computer forum, just in the nature of delineating some of the off-topic and also the fact that we have a sleuth of experts here?

2. I need a 1TB external (portable) hardrive that has firewire and a 7200 RPM drive. Anyone know of any off the top of their head? Would settle for 2 500 GB if I had to.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As I recall, Firewire is only Half-Duplexing, meaning it can't stream data two ways simultaneously. An interrupt is required to read/write data, which slows down overall performance. It would work for straight-line data backup though.

The new 800 has a beta-type full duplex, but I don't know how reliable it is.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    WD is going to be a good one to go with. Lacie will have a few with Firewire too. if you do get one, you might as well get a dual drive and put it in a RAID 1 setup. if it's a desktop drive and most likely going to be in a static position, i'd definitely go for the dual drive setup and the RAID 1, b/c redundancy is always good. remember, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!

Cbro

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Iberia
    I have an I Mac and use a 1 TB Seagate Free Agent that I got from Best Buy. I is designed to work with the time machine software that came on the mac. I does seamless, scheduled back ups. It is a little more expensive that the regular 1TB drive but works flawlessly. Suggest you check out Time Machine. With the right drive you can even boot and run your mac if the internal drive goes down. If you want more info pm me with a phone number or I will send you mine. Really works great.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Anyone familiar with this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate...lack/9929025.p?id=1218196479773&skuId=9929025

Says it can be upgraded to firewire.

I have a 500GB Seagate. I don't think I have that exact model but I use it for Time Machine and it works well enough. It's also been good to me when I had to restore a new internal hard drive after a repair. Spec said they have been known to crash from what he's read on other boards, but so far so good here.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Sorry, should have stated....plan to use an an external for the storing and working with of video files. probably will also have a separate one just to backup the system. Not to worried about speed on the second one.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Seagate? RUUUUUUUUN!

Seagate hasn't made a reliable drive in more than a year. All their 1TB and up models have a very high consumer failure rate. They're becoming as bad as Hitachi Deathstars.

If you can, find a Western Digital Caviar Green or Black external drive- I would recommend Green if you plan on keeping it plugged in all the time as it runs ice cold and silent.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom