FAL?What to look for?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Hi all

I'm looking at picking up a FAL and the sheer numbers of them is disorienting.I'm looking to get one that matches the old school long barreled fal or the british L1A1. I've seen some by century,enterprise and DSA I'm just wanting to know what to go for and what to avoid

somo1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Lake Charles, La
    dsa makes a nice rifle. I have a stg rifle from parts. Had some trouble with the head spacing. After a little gunsmithing, got it to shoot. Groups are not real tight. But, its to be expected for that that type of rifle.
    Best to shoot from a bipod. No feeding issues, mags are cheap, and ammo is easy to find. Good Luck

RRB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Lafayette
    Hi all

I'm looking at picking up a FAL and the sheer numbers of them is disorienting.I'm looking to get one that matches the old school long barreled fal or the british L1A1. I've seen some by century,enterprise and DSA I'm just wanting to know what to go for and what to avoid

The FAL Files is the best place to ask these questions. I know of at least one FAL-Filer near Alex, and I am sure that there are others.

In a nutshell: Rifles built on Century receivers are a gamble. However, if the Century rifle used a Brazilian made Imbel receiver or an Argentine receiver (these would be older Century rifles) then it has potentially a bit more value. Entreprise rifles are another crap-shoot. Like Centurys, some are good and some are real problems. Older Entreprise receivers marked "Buena Vista" are generally more desirable. Anything built on a Hesse receiver is going to be suspect, though there are some decent Hesse-built FALs. Anything built on an Imbel receiver or Argentine receiver is worth taking a close look at. If you luck into an original Argie, Belgian, Lithgow or Imbel (SAR-48s imported by Springfield) for a decent price then that might be the best way to go.

Kit-built rifles on DSA, Imbel, or Dan Coonan receivers are worth considering if the price is right. This is especially true if the parts used are Stg (Austrian), Brit, or Aussie. The recent criticisms of DSA built rifles are based on quality contol and the use of newly manufactured parts. DSA used to use a lot of Austrian Stg parts in their builds, but many of those parts have have since dried up. There have been some problems with the newly manufactured parts used by DSA in their rifles. DSA has their critics and their defenders, so take it for what it is worth. They do have a good customer service, or so some say. They are expensive.

Some of the real values in FALs right now are in kit-built rifles. With the economy in the state it is in there are a lot of rifles out there for sale cheap. A few years ago the best way to come by a FAL/L1A1 was to build one from components. Nowadays, the best way to sell one is to strip it down into its component parts and sell the kit as a unit, the receiver, and the 922(r) parts seperately. There are some real bargains out there in the way of complete rifles built from kits on the better receivers (DSA, Imbel, Dan Coonan).

My best advice would be to do some research, take your time, and buy when you are confident of the deal. Good Luck!

Top Bottom