Federal Brass primer seating problems.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I'm having severe problems seating primers into Federal brass. I'm using a Hornady Lock N Load Progressive. After 4 failures to seat, I started taking them out... after that I reloaded about 80 rounds without any failures to seat. Its like whole is just a little bit too small...one side starts in and the other side gets a little smashed because it didn't make it into the whole. Any thoughts?

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    What primers are you using? I have never used federal brass but have loaded winchester, remington, and lapua brass with wolf, federal, winchester, and CCI primers. Is the brass new or once fired?

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I'm having severe problems seating primers into Federal brass. I'm using a Hornady Lock N Load Progressive. After 4 failures to seat, I started taking them out... after that I reloaded about 80 rounds without any failures to seat. Its like whole is just a little bit too small...one side starts in and the other side gets a little smashed because it didn't make it into the whole. Any thoughts?

I got a bag of brass from you, and ended up doing the same thing. I just went and checked, there is 2 different headstamps of Federal brass (FC and the year 05,06,etc.., and FC .223 REM) one has red sealant, and the other is a bluish-green and they are all lightly crimped primer pockets. Every one of them crushes the primer, either CCI 41's+400's, Rem BR 7.5's or Winchester WSR. I pulled them out, and will swap them with my buddy who has a 1050.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    What caliber brass??, depending on exactly what federal case it is and headstamp, the very edge may have a crimp and hard to see, I reload both commercial and military .223 and have this problem, need to swagg

WHATEVER. you do, do not shoot the ammunition that does not have the primer seated just right, if the side wall of the primer is crushed, it could expel gas and cause explosion causing the chamber and bolt to explode, my friend did this by not properly swagging a military crimped brass case, the gas came backwards through the primer pocket hole into the bolt and cracked the upper receiver in half,

this is what the case looked like after it was removed from chamber by a gunsmith

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj174/tactical723/100_2429.jpg

Last edited:

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    1gldzjvfm7yrngqhxs7r.jpg

wfjlxlthd3na57t7nk4j.jpg

xnaurrs9ujhbs2dizzn.jpg

e76rjl0kmw0rfe899l87.jpg

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I got a bag of brass from you, and ended up doing the same thing. I just went and checked, there is 2 different headstamps of Federal brass (FC and the year 05,06,etc.., and FC .223 REM) one has red sealant, and the other is a bluish-green and they are all lightly crimped primer pockets. Every one of them crushes the primer, either CCI 41's+400's, Rem BR 7.5's or Winchester WSR. I pulled them out, and will swap them with my buddy who has a 1050.

Dang, if you want to swap them out, I'd be happy to...

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    On some crimped it will take a primer. I was told this by a guy that I wouldn't doubt and it worked in a Dillon 550B. It depended on the brass but the LC worked just fine.
    You can swage or you can chamfer the edge. The swage requires equipment. I hear Dillon is the way to go for swaging. Chamfering the edge requires skill, time & effort. It only has to be done once.

Last edited:

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    What caliber brass??, depending on exactly what federal case it is and headstamp, the very edge may have a crimp and hard to see, I reload both commercial and military .223 and have this problem, need to swagg

WHATEVER. you do, do not shoot the ammunition that does not have the primer seated just right, if the side wall of the primer is crushed, it could expel gas and cause explosion causing the chamber and bolt to explode, my friend did this by not properly swagging a military crimped brass case, the gas came backwards through the primer pocket hole into the bolt and cracked the upper receiver in half,

It's 223. I believe that you're probably right. I'll seperate all the federal out and swag the primer pockets...see if that helps.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Dang, if you want to swap them out, I'd be happy to...

Nah, its not that many of them, maybe 75 or so. They are crimped, as you can tell from the picture, no doubt about it. I do not have a problem with crimped LC brass with my Dillon, but these just would not work. Also, when taking these pictures, I noticed that there is 3 different headstamps of it. FC and year, FC .223 REM, and FC NT .223 REM.

kvjdq0ta5fovnnpun8kc.jpg

z304vratbf0f6mjgk3i.jpg

i3fyxonitnq8pbiis3pd.jpg

Top Bottom