Federal judge rules that concealed carry is probable cause of criminal activity

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Maybe I'm confused, but how is this wrong? It is a crime to conceal a weapon without a permit. And last I checked, there is no way to tell if someone has a permit, unless you detain them. Half an hour seems a little bit long, though, but what's the issue?

It is wrong in that after producing a permit to carry said wepon concealed they should have excused themselves rather than continuing to harrass him and apparently hold him for thirty minutes, then forcing him to go to some enclosed place before allowing him to leave. How can you possibly defend that as being right?

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    It is wrong in that after producing a permit to carry said wepon concealed they should have excused themselves rather than continuing to harrass him and apparently hold him for thirty minutes, then forcing him to go to some enclosed place before allowing him to leave. How can you possibly defend that as being right?

I hope I'm wrong, but the way that post reads is as if you are more or less calling me an idiot. Just the tone of it in my head comes across that way. Anyway, I disgress, as I don't really care much one way or the other. But, onward with your question:

Yes, it is wrong. He has been lawfully detained at that point. When you are detained by LEO, you are "in custody" until you are released. And nowhere did I say if it is right or wrong. I have simply been stating what is LEGAL, reasonable, and just. As we all know if something is just, it does not always mean right.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I hope I'm wrong, but the way that post reads is as if you are more or less calling me an idiot. Just the tone of it in my head comes across that way. Anyway, I disgress, as I don't really care much one way or the other. But, onward with your question:

Yes, it is wrong. He has been lawfully detained at that point. When you are detained by LEO, you are "in custody" until you are released. And nowhere did I say if it is right or wrong. I have simply been stating what is LEGAL, reasonable, and just. As we all know if something is just, it does not always mean right.

I'm not even going to delve into how you came up with me making a personal attack, as much as I've complained about it. Anyway, I did not mean to imply it was illegal, but legal and right are not necessarily interchangeable. No they did not break any laws by detaining him for 30 minutes. What they did still was not right. Why did they need to hold him? What did it accomplish? If you see someone in the act of concealing a firearm, and you detain that person and they produce an ID that says they are a reserve officer in Jefferson parish, are you going to then take that person to a "secure location" and hold them for up to thirty minutes to check their criminal background??

Now same scenario, and the ID is a La. CC permit. Any difference in the way you treat them? And why? If the were YOU that were in a different city, or even not and it were a Gonzales CP officer and instead of just turning you loose upon seeing your commission they decided to make you sit there for even 15 minutes while they check your criminal background and run the serial number on your weapon to see if it were stolen, it IS lawful, but would you still consider it right? Or would you feel like the COP you were dealing with was being a hardass jerk??

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I'm not even going to delve into how you came up with me making a personal attack, as much as I've complained about it. Anyway, I did not mean to imply it was illegal, but legal and right are not necessarily interchangeable. No they did not break any laws by detaining him for 30 minutes. What they did still was not right. Why did they need to hold him? What did it accomplish? If you see someone in the act of concealing a firearm, and you detain that person and they produce an ID that says they are a reserve officer in Jefferson parish, are you going to then take that person to a "secure location" and hold them for up to thirty minutes to check their criminal background??

Now same scenario, and the ID is a La. CC permit. Any difference in the way you treat them? And why? If the were YOU that were in a different city, or even not and it were a Gonzales CP officer and instead of just turning you loose upon seeing your commission they decided to make you sit there for even 15 minutes while they check your criminal background and run the serial number on your weapon to see if it were stolen, it IS lawful, but would you still consider it right? Or would you feel like the COP you were dealing with was being a hardass jerk??

To be honest, I don't know why they held him. I wasn't there, so I don't know any of the other factors that are involved in this situation. And where did I ever say that this is exactly how I'd handle a situation like this?? If you read one of my other posts, you'd see how I handle situations involving someone with a gun.

I handle guns pretty much just like I handle every other aspect of my job. I know I'm going to come into contact, and I'm just smart about it. In order for a gun to go off, it has to be handled. If I, or anyone involved in stop/detention, doesn't need to handle the gun, I leave it be.

And what I was answering in my previous post in respect to what is wrong, was if he would have "excused himself" during this incident. He was legally detained, and you can't just get up and leave from that. It is up to your detainer (the police, in this case) when you get to leave.
    it cannot be reasonable or just if it's "wrong", just sayin.

In a utopian world.

Last edited:

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    It's been made a privilege by laws and case laws. We can still own Black Powder Cannons, Felons can use Black Powder Rifles & Revolvers legally.

The Right has been Infringed, and selectively made a privilege.

In some states, like Alaska, the Right to Bear Arms has not been -as- infringed on & a person needs no permit to carry concealed.

Montana & Tennessee seem to be leading the way back to the Rights-as-defined through effectively telling the Fed Gov to eff off, concerning gun laws.

Last edited:

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    As far as the "Utopian World" comment...that's a cop out. People need to just admit that sometimes they are Wrong just because they want to be, or because they don't like or accept what is Right...

If my 3yr old nephew can answer "Why were you being bad" with "Because I want to be", then grown ups should be able to as well.

You don't kill some hostage & the hostage taker and say "In a utopian word we would have saved the innocent lady, but the criminal will not hurt anyone else."

That doesn't make it OK...Or Right, it's Wrong.

Last edited:

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I am saying not all of the laws are reasonable or right. there are some things that are illegal that most would deem should be legalized, and vice-versa.

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms in plain sight, shall not be infringed. unless the people wish to conceal their arms they must ask the government to grant them that privilege.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom