Feds send letters to warn those deemed 'incompetent' on firearms Read more at http://

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Yea...I saw that coming. Send these kids to war....let them get blown up by IEDs and see their buddies blown to bits....And when they are diagnosed with PTSD....then tell them they lost their Second Amendment Right to Bear Arms....Because we don't trust them with a Firearm. But just wait...if they need more boots on the ground...You can bet your bottom dollar they will bring him back through call backs of Individual Ready Reserve
    I guess the attitude is that its no longer a Right to Bear Arms...but a Privilege now. And for whatever reason some jackass in Congress wants...he can take away that privilege.

There are no Freedoms....no Rights...Just "Privileges" now. And it is getting worse.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Can't be true. When I suggested this may be happening a few months ago, I was informed that I was responsible for the future deaths of vets with PTSD. I don't want that guilt, so I hereby unequivocally shout that this is a hoax.

Giving this article any credence, whatsoever, shall be deemed to have passed that fault to the reader.

So shall it be written: so shall it be done.

In the tradition of Bayoushooter, that if it doesn't personally affect you, then it just ain't your battle, I don't give a s___ if vets can own guns or not.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The VA sent letters telling Vets if they were deemed incompetent they would lose their guns. It's been on the back of those letters for years. I'm pretty sure if Non-vets are deemed incompetent they can't own guns either.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I'm darned sure it requires "due process of law" for a non vet. But, again, doesn't affect me, so I don't care.

Besides, your post absolves me of the guilt of PTSD suicides. I'm happy as a lark.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Unfortunately without telling us what exactly gets you on the list, it's pretty much impossible to really know what's going on.

If they put out that 40% out of the 50% of your Disability was due to PTSD and that 40% or higher qualifies you as incompetent, THEN we could at least have a base to work from.

Too little known about the VA's definition and how they come to it.

Looks like the NRA and Senators are all on top of it though so someone's paying attention at least.

The article says 185 out of the 127,000 put on the list since 98', have requested to be scrubbed from the list.

Interesting it doesn't say if they were successful :dunno:

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The VA has no ability to adjudicate anybody as incompetent they have to follow the same process as any other mental health care provider.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    The VA has no ability to adjudicate anybody as incompetent they have to follow the same process as any other mental health care provider.

That may be true....and in fact it sounds about right IMO.
    But then again...when in the military...it seems as if they get one to sign a lot of paperwork. I would not be surprised to find out that somewhere on one of those documents that the military gets soldiers to sign...they have signed away their right for due process. The PTSD is a tricky thing. Who knows...if it suits the military...and they crunch the numbers and find out that 90% of PTSD sufferers also love their right to bear arms....maybe they will intentionally make a big deal out of loosing ones rights in order to discourage vets from claiming VA benefits. They can be a real pain in the ass when it comes to disability payments.
    And if its not there yet...I would not be surprised to find out they are planning to slip it in somewhere. They won't use it just yet. But someday...when they feel no need for those vets...they will then screw them if it suits their purposes.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    That may be true....and in fact it sounds about right IMO.
    But then again...when in the military...it seems as if they get one to sign a lot of paperwork. I would not be surprised to find out that somewhere on one of those documents that the military gets soldiers to sign...they have signed away their right for due process. The PTSD is a tricky thing. Who knows...if it suits the military...and they crunch the numbers and find out that 90% of PTSD sufferers also love their right to bear arms....maybe they will intentionally make a big deal out of loosing ones rights in order to discourage vets from claiming VA benefits. They can be a real pain in the ass when it comes to disability payments.
    And if its not there yet...I would not be surprised to find out they are planning to slip it in somewhere. They won't use it just yet. But someday...when they feel no need for those vets...they will then screw them if it suits their purposes.

Wow.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

So an outside source declares the state of the mind, reports it to the VA, VA sends out the letter.

I know when I was at the VA in late 06' I had to go somewhere in Alex to talk to a shrink and fill out a 400 Multiple Choice Questionnaire ...yawn...

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Did anyone on the list receive that letter?

I didn't. All I get from the VA are bills.
    :ohreally:

How many here use the VA as their primary health provider? I did for close to ten years a while back. Now I use it for prescriptions that cost more than my copay on the civilian market.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I only did a Post-Service Type health Assessment? Over two days.

They gave me a percentage based on injuries received during service according to my Med Records.

I've never been back. :dunno:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

I think policy may have changed. I think they are now in the process or about to be in the process of turning names over to NICS that have had a Fiduciary, ie where the VA intervened and found a Vet unable to manage their own money (their monthly .gov check). I want to say right now that I have only seen this done on severely disabled vets (Alzheimer's, severe schizophrenics, etc) and also habitual drug addicts that spend all their monthly .gov check on drugs then don't have any where to stay so habitually go to the ER and claim that they are suicidal so they get admitted to the hospital. However, there is NO JUDICIAL INVOLVEMENT in a fiduciary that I know of. If true, then this sets the VA apart from other mental health care providers.

I could be wrong on many counts here, but so far this is what I have been able to find out. When I find out more, I'll post back here.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Confirmed. Absolutely no judge required. Just a team of VA Regional Office Employees that do an investigation. I'm not even sure if there has to be a doctor involved. Awaiting clarification on that.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I read something a couple of days ago that these were men deemed incompetent to handle their own financial affairs and their VA checks were not being deposited to accounts the vets controlled.

Will try to remember where I saw this and will report back if I do.
    :eh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom