FFL Drama - Help!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Either way you'll still be paying double FFL fees and additional shipping. Personally I'd blame it on the seller sending the guns USPS like an idiot and make him pay for it.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Legally I don't think it matters to the ffl how they were shipped. I don't have any factual basis right now for my opinion, though.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Legally I don't think it matters to the ffl how they were shipped. I don't have any factual basis right now for my opinion, though.

IMO. I think it did up to one point. But the OPs FFL has passed it now.

The OPs FFL has one of two things to do now and thats a 4473 or send it to another FFL.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    When I had my FFL speaking.
    I would have have NEVER picked up a firearm from the USPS without already having a FFL faxed to me. If unsure I would let that little box sit in the PO until I made some calls and got the needed info. IMO When the OPs FFL picked up the gun without having the FFL he broke the law. Now as long as he turns it over to an FFL or does a 4473 doesnt really matter. If he mails it back USPS to a non FFL he broke the law also and CAN lose his FFL.
    He could call the ATF and bring it up to them but hes past that point when he picked it up IMO.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I actually called USPS and they said the same thing. No Handguns but will allow Long Guns.

Although I suppose it's possible to bypass this like we see here :D

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    No, Definitely not worth trying to mail a pistol thru usps. Has to make you wonder how my seller did it so easy, that's another thread I guess. I'm gonna take Bigtattoo79's advice & try to reason with my FFL tomorrow & either get him to do the form 4473 himself (unlikely) or get him to send it to another local FFL. I see him fighting & squawking about it either way.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I would also add this,

it doesnt matter who has a copy of his ffl, folks will only ship to the address on the paper..

you need to post the ffl dealer, so your fellow bsers dont get stuck like you..

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Fair enough, I'd hate to see anyone else go thru this bs when I coulda warned 'em. Its "On Target" in Kenner. Guy does phenomial work with refinishing/painting/blueing but I won't be using him for FFL services again.

Oh, & yeah, I know it doesn't matter who has a copy of his ffl bc firearms can only ship to the address on the paper. That's why when he told me that I just kinda chuckled.

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Update: Talked to the seller this morning. He seems to be a pretty cool guy, apologized for everything, restated what alot of you guys already wrote. He claimed he had no idea about the "no handgun usps rule" bc he'd never mailed handgun before thru usps but had mailed several rifles & shotguns. He even said when he mailed them that the lady working the counter was the same lady he'd dealt with for 20 years & she knew they were handguns bc it came up in conversation & she didn't tell him squat about it (which I could punch her in the face for now, lol). So, anyways, he gave me like 3 contact numbers & the number for his FFL in AL (in case I need it later) & said he'd eat the costs for whatever went down on his end if the guns came back to him. He said he actually talked to my ffl here & there was no mention he "didn't accept guns from private individuals."

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    ...and this is why I dont mind spending a little more on a transfer when I know the guys know what they are doing and are professional about it.

I can understand the guy being high strung about this situation. It's his FFL on the line and the ATF DO NOT play when it comes to audits, but he needed to be more vigilant on the front end and the back end will take care of itself. He cant bitch that a non-FFL has a copy of his license if he didnt do his homework. It's as easy as getting the sellers FFL number and checking on https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/. Doesnt look like he bothered to ask the seller.

Thankfully the seller is a stand-up guy and willing to take the hit.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    ONLY FFL's can ship handguns via USPS, otherwise it has to be shipped via Fedex, UPS

UNLESS, you are shipping directly to the manufacture for repairs and its not a sale to another person.

This, except most do not care how it gets there. The FFL would not get in trouble because something was mailed to him. The blame would fall on the one who shipped them.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    When I had my FFL speaking.
    I would have have NEVER picked up a firearm from the USPS without already having a FFL faxed to me. If unsure I would let that little box sit in the PO until I made some calls and got the needed info. IMO When the OPs FFL picked up the gun without having the FFL he broke the law. Now as long as he turns it over to an FFL or does a 4473 doesnt really matter. If he mails it back USPS to a non FFL he broke the law also and CAN lose his FFL.
    He could call the ATF and bring it up to them but hes past that point when he picked it up IMO.

Please explain how he broke the law by picking up a package with out having a FFL?

An individual can ship to FFL's.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The only problem the FFL would have at THIS time would be to have those guns in his "establishment" and not have them logged in his books in case of an Audit, granted doubt that will happen but never know.

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    I agree with Seabee- know your seller and avoid potential situations like this. In the future, you can suggest 10-8 or Jefferson Gun as a FFL licensee you'd like your firearm shipped to. Both of these are professional local dealers and you don't have to rely solely upon gunbroker's list for a dealer near you. Just go by either of these folk's shops and ask for a copy of their FFL to have firearms shipped to them. They'll even email a copy to the person of your choice in order to expedite the transaction- and yes, that's legal as well. I have used both of these businesses' services in the past and was perfectly happy on all occasions with how they conducted themselves professionally.
    If I had a dealer act this poorly with me I'd politely walk away and have the seller sort this out. Rest assured I'd never give that dealer any of my business again. Sure, he can instate his own policies as to how he conducts business that may be a bit stricter than the ATF regulations; no problems with that. It's when he acts unprofessionally that I'd call foul. And to claim that a copy of his FFL could be used by others to make illegal firearms purchases with is just the sign of a person who either wants to stir up needless drama or who just doesn't understand their own trade.
    Just my thoughts, hope they help.

Last edited:

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    I know nothing about FFL business, but is there anything in the log that records how an item was recieved/shipped? If not, then there is no record of how the item was shipped.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom