FFL questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    I am considering getting an FF and am wondering a few things.
    1. How does this affect my ability to by my own firearms on a face to face basis? Will I still be able to buy my own guns without a 4473 or paperwork. buy them privately?
    2. What would be the best structure? Corporation? LLC? etc.
    3. What can I sell to whom? Ie. I know I can sell rifles, shotguns to MS residents, what about handguns? What about NFA items if I were to get a class 3 license? For example could a MS resident come to my shop in LA and buy a suppressor
    4. Can you have the license in your personal name and do DBA for your company name? I am thinking yes on this one.

Just starting to research all of the legalities so thanks for any advise. It is appreciated.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You learn quick not to take advice from the general public since even on a firearms forum you will still get wrong information. If you're serious about making an informed decision as to what you can and cannot do with the different FFLs then I would strongly suggest starting here...https://www.atf.gov/content/Firearms/firearms-industry/FAQ-firearms. Then, if you can't find your answer, give the ATF a call and get the info straight from them.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    I was hoping that some of the ffls on the site would have some thoughts as they have experience. I will look at the ATF site also.

Last edited:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'll try to help but like Ritten said best to confirm with the ATF

I am considering getting an FF and am wondering a few things.
    1. How does this affect my ability to by my own firearms on a face to face basis? Will I still be able to buy my own guns without a 4473 or paperwork. buy them privately? This I am not sure of. Guns you had before your ffl can be sold FTF but if you are purchasing guns after you have your FFL I am not sure. All the guns I have purchased after have come through my FFL so I log them in.
    2. What would be the best structure? Corporation? LLC? etc. - I would definitely incorporate or create an LLC either will give you some liability protection. It then comes down to tax planning.
    3. What can I sell to whom? Ie. I know I can sell rifles, shotguns to MS residents, what about handguns? What about NFA items if I were to get a class 3 license? For example could a MS resident come to my shop in LA and buy a suppressor. You can't sell handguns or receivers to non-residents, same goes for NFA stuff. Only way you could sell to someone in mississippi is if they had dual residency.
    4. Can you have the license in your personal name and do DBA for your company name? I am thinking yes on this one. I think you can do this but both your name and your company's DBA has to be listed on your FFL with the ATF.

Top Bottom