Fire Fighter Accident

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Just wondering a few things.

Surely #2 should have been holding the bottom of the ladder right? Did he break SOP by following him up the ladder?

Also where were all the hoses? Seemed to be letting it burn? :dunno:

Good thing neither got their leg tangled up in that ladder or that the Live Saw didn't come down on one of them.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    First off the guy venilating should have been on a roof ladder with it that cold. I've seen water turn to ice on a fire call down here before. It gets real slippery on that roof. Second, there should have been another guy there to foot the ladder.

What makes it worse is where he was venilating would do nothing more than draw the fire to that end of the house. Plus you're supposed to venilate at the top of the roof, not the bottom. Where the fire was at had plenty of venilation (no roof left). Unless they had other circumstances going on that we cannot see, there was no point in being up there.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Ladder fail to the max.The guy on the ground could have stoped this from happining but any time your feet are above the gutter your at risk of your own weight making the ladder slipping out from under you if its wet ground or not.At the company I work at a guy did the exact same thing but on bricks that were dry.He got tangeled in the ladder and broke his arm and leg.

mmbroussard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Carencro, LA
    Pas Tout La hit it right looks like the fire vented through the roof on its own. Roof ladder the single section ladder to the left in video has hooks to hold it on the roof over the peak and should have been placed on the roof. The second fire fighter should have footed the extension ladder to keep it from moving, period. That's goes against all basic training about ladder safety and fire ground operations.

A few years ago we had a chimney fire during freeze And the house had a metal roof. No way any one could work safely with out a ladder or an aerial.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I was a full time fire fighter up north before I was a Paramedic. I'd say the fire had already vented. Get the guys off the roof. Do an interior attack. Man up.

Dave

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    maybe a training lession?? Or volunteer ?? It goes against all common fire fighter practices I have been taught, but those are dated and lost in my mind..

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    At least it was caught on video. You can bet it is being used in training films now. Really drives home the point about securing the ladder and what happens if you don't.

And also raises the question of laddering structures that don't need it. It was a risk that didn't need taken unless they were actively trying to spread the fire.

Dave

pecka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    Montz
    Wayyy to many people on scene to not have someone holding that ladder. People just walked by it to? That looked like their common practice.

Lurker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Denham Springs LA
    maybe a training lession?? Or volunteer ?? It goes against all common fire fighter practices I have been taught, but those are dated and lost in my mind..

I saw at least two,"chief" helmets ,a captain and a few lieutenants...all of which should have know better. I also saw the saw land directly on the guy that should have been holding the ladder. I cannot figure out why they were attempting to vent in that location. One extra person footing the ladder would have prevented the 10 people standing around tending to the unnecessarily injured instead of watching the house continue to burn.

I did see steam at one point so water was being shot, but I don't know why they chose not to do an interior attack through the front door.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La

Just wondering a few things.

Surely #2 should have been holding the bottom of the ladder right? Did he break SOP by following him up the ladder?

Also where were all the hoses? Seemed to be letting it burn? :dunno:

Good thing neither got their leg tangled up in that ladder or that the Live Saw didn't come down on one of them.

Plenty of help around AFTER the fall. Some one should have been footing the ladder. Very Poor leadership and training. How many guys walked by and did not notice what was going on? This whole department is an accident waiting to happen. If they don't change their ways and start thinking people will die.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom