fire/rescue GUN CARRIERS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    How many of you carry while running a call? I know personally being in a very rural parish I carry to almost every call I go to. Sometimes open sometimes concealed depends on the situation.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I was a vol Fire Fighter in a rural area. I carried my pistol sometimes. For my personal safety only. When you get called out to a remote area at 3:00 in the mornng things are not always as they seem. A fire call can turn out to b e a domestic dispute. (or a meth lab, or God only knows what) Once you see the situation and try to back up and wait for the SO to arrive you may be there by yourself for a while. One of my friends drove up to a scene and his last radio transmission was "there is a man on the porch with a gun, wait for SO"
    Then nothing until much later. He jumped out of the vehicle and ran into the woods until the scene was secure. Meanwhile we were all worried to death about the radio silence.

Mac204

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    CenLa
    Yeah. Scene safety is stressed so much, but even a safe and secured scene can descend into pure bedlam in seconds. Then what? You can have a plan for escape with 2 alternate routes back to the truck or just away, but you're still gonna be within reach of a bullet!

Like a buddy of mine once said, "man, I was a corpsman! When I think 'BSI, scene safe' I think 'okay, are they shooting, if so, shoot back until scene is safe'". But so many companies forbid being armed with more than a knife..

occunknown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ringgold
    That is the advantage of a rural department. Some places we respond to for ems/fire, I don't like going to in the daylight, nerveless at night. I carry my 9mm at all times when responding my self and I would say 50% carry all the time and another 30% have them in their vehicles.

Warhorse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    Out in da marsh....
    been professional a long time and never leave the station without mine on me. been in too many sticky situations and too many close calls that had nothing to do with flames to just be complacent. Departments all have a no firearm rule but if i highly doubt if i had to defend myself or my crew anything would happen to me. And id rather be looking for another job than shot by some nutcase crackhead anyway. just my .02$

larm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    in my experinces, ff and medics are welcomed with open arms, and i worked the ghetto side most of my career. no need for guns, they know you there to help.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    in my experinces, ff and medics are welcomed with open arms, and i worked the ghetto side most of my career. no need for guns, they know you there to help.

??? Thats not the response I get on scences. They dont care if your trying to help in the ghetto. Just my observation.

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    I have responded to scenes and have to practically fight people to get the the victims. I usually responded direct and had a gun in the car but usually did not carry it on me.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My step-dad is chief of the volunteer fire dept back home and as far as I know he doesn't carry on his person during calls, but if he's in his personal vehicle I'm pretty sure he's got one close.

Masonmedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I think I would have to disagree on my past experiences.....MAYBE a few areas with older established people 60 plus years of age.Prominant areas of people from teens to say 40ish in age.Never seen it.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA

LOL. That's pretty funny. I wanna work where you've been hanging out. People love to hit/spit/kick/stomp/shove/yell/scream/cuss/throw things. You'd be surprised at what happens. I've been tomahawked with a crucifix.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Where I work we are not allowed to carry firearms by policy. I don't generally have problems with the people in Baton Rouge. I used to when I was young at this job. But then I learned how to get stuff done without making much fuss. If you're getting in fights all the time (sometimes it's just unavoidable) than you need to rethink the way you're approaching people in the job. I know b/c I had to change my approach to the people of Baton Rouge and it's paid off immeasurably.

Dave

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom